Assetto Corsa Porsche Previews and Ingame Footage

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 4.jpg

Kunos Simulizioni have been slowly leaking preview images from the upcoming new Porsche DLC following on from the licence announcement back on the 17th June.

Somewhat of a shock to the sim racing community, Kunos' announcement in June of a successful Porsche licence acquisition has positively set the sim racing world alight with enthusiasm to see how the Italian development team recreate some of legendary marque's most famous vehicles in Assetto Corsa.

Kunos Simulazioni’s Licensing Project Manager Marco Massarutto has recently tweeted a number of images from the upcoming DLC, leading many to believe a release is not too far away. The latest update to version 1.8 is due to roll out to players at the end of August, many will be hoping to see a similar schedule for the first Porsche DLC instalment.

To tie in with the licence to present various Porsche vehicles in Assetto Corsa, Kunos will also be providing customized software for virtual experiences within Porsche Performance Centre locations throughout the world. At one such location as part of the recent FIA World Endurance Championship race at the German Nürburgring, Sim Racer Philipp Schalli caught the below in game footage of what appears to be a 911 Carrera S racing on the German Grand Prix Circuit. Click the video below to watch the 30 second snippit of Philipp driving the Carrera S...

First look - Porsche Carrera S gameplay footage:

Check out the Assetto Corsa forum here at RaceDepartment. Here you will find a wide variety of custom setups, community created modifications and setups for a wide selection of cars. We have a lively Modding Discussions forum for users to post and reply to topics relating to the world of AC modding and show off their latest work in progress projects.

Don't forget RaceDepartment hold regular leagues and club racing events for Assetto Corsa. Check out the AC Clubs and Leagues section of the website to find out more.

Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 2.jpg Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC.jpg Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 3.jpg

Looking forward to Porsche in Assetto Corsa? What do you think will be included in the pack? What do you WANT included in the DLC? Let's discuss below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

I will respond here as well, just as I did privately too, because I think this attitude is completely misjudged and misses the whole point of what it actually entails for a project to become official content in Assetto Corsa, and it keeps popping up on every platform you read about simracing-related announcements. You (in plural) might be more prone to accepting what this means coming from me, the guy who is in charge of supervising outsourced content and contracted artists and seeing most 3D vehicle-related content through development until and post release.

First of all, Meco, the author of the Cobra mod, is a professional 3D artist who has been contracted to deliver 3D models since his first involvement in the Cobra project, his works built for and released as official content from scratch among others include the AMG GT3 and the Toyota Supra. Technically speaking they were never mods, just like you can't say it for any not-yet-released content he may have worked on since. Most other artists are also professionals, but those who are also ex- or active modders on the side that can deliver at the same quality level should be considered that as well, especially taking into account the fact that they are getting paid. Again, these are contracted artists, who are doing contract work, it is not buying off a random model from a kid and releasing it as paid content as some imagine.

So if you consider this, just because something starts out as a mod, it doesn't mean it'll stay one when development continues in an official manner behind closed curtains following up a turn of events such as a licence agreement etc. It's nothing like the Miata or the Cobra, buying off those and releasing them as paid content later would be stupid, but we're not talking about something like that, are we?

Secondly, let's compare a mod with content that is released officially. Whenever we have something that starts out as a mod, at some point it is taken over from the original author and depending on the quality and state it is in at that given point, we spend weeks to further improve and optimize it to make sure it meets our pipeline and standards, plus then there is QA and beta testing to iron out bugs as much as we can. Additionally, we do not release third-party physics and sounds, and the widespread notion of "outsourcing content to modding teams" is completely false. We contract 3D artists who happen to be part of certain modding teams, but polishing, physics and sounds are always done in-house, and the modelling has to follow our guidelines, so forget this idea of "giving stuff out to some random modders so we have less work to do". It is a supervised process to make sure a certain mean level of quality is attained as much as the reference material allows.

So based on this logic in the quote, the "loss" you experience is the following: in the case of a paid release you are paying €1-2 on average per car which has undergone supervision by an internal Kunos artist, weeks and sometimes months of extra internal work and QA, received official physics and sounds and is included in the game so that EVERY user has access to it and not only the ones who bother to go on external websites to download mods. Additionally, their work will now have the chance to be presented on the console, too, so they are bound to be enjoyed by a much wider audience.

Honestly, do you really think this is an exploitation of modders and deceit of the simracing community? Also, what should modders do? Is it not a good incentive to get paid and make sure your project can potentially reach all players and that it has physics and sounds that meet a certain level? Come on...

PS: I bet you no one is going to take a screengrab of this post. ;)

I'll read the private message when I have time but I think you let yourself be taken a bit too much by other people's interpretations and furthering of a very brief post. Nowhere I said anything about it being detrimental to modders. My point was two cars followed with much desire by the community - user base - would no longer be free, public releases and thus never offer an issue of a person missing content.

If an artist is talented and experienced, to me it doesn't matter his background or company. I believe in the quality of the output as proven with previously released mods for AC. There have been cases of cars not having "full" configured settings because of the manufacturer not wanting that data potentially available, and sometimes modders can obtain guidance or a good approximation of it, and not be restricted by a license agreement to alter their material. There are also great examples of talented people being contracted or hired full-time. You got snatched. The_meco is doing however many models. URD grew from one game to three, possibly more. Etc. I have other acquaintances who went to other studios - from small like Reiza to big like UbiSoft - and it's great they get rewarded.

Last thing, the DLC packages have had a mix and match of content that fragments the community and what people can play together. If it's a class-specific bundle, with a track, then more than likely anyone interested in it will consider buying that one pack, instead of passing on buying 3 different packs to get all of that class - and a lot of what they don't want. Porsche DLC, however many are made, can be $9.99 and include 6 cars, etc, but of all the cars available, I want the 962 and the 917k. They could be spread on different packs and could be priced much higher so instead of it being $1-2 for the car I want, it's $10-15 for something I want and won't buy, so the leftover undesired content doesn't just sit around with their DLC 1-3 friends.

I know you'll not be as mislead of reason as some ardent fans, and can thus adequately interpret my post. And yes, I understand it's your employer and all that such entails regarding what you can say.

Edit: always good to chat with you, Panky :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They have tough choice on what cars they can include in these two packs Porsche made a string of ground braking cars prior to the arrival of the 911 icon
The first Porsche 356 the first to bear the Porsche Name should be included the car the later Boxsters used as reference point.
There is whole series of 356 cars
Sure the 550 Spyder will be in one of the DLC packs .

I would like to see the 904 Carrera GTS in any form be it 2000 cc 4 cycl / 6 Cycl or 8 cycl its a nice well balance mid engine sports car.

The 959 be there for the sheer jump in Technology Porsche packed into this car way before the Skylines did the same sort of thing.
Also it would recreate the test drive 2 games two main combatants were a F40 & a Porsche 959 we have the USA desert roads now in the game to give it the correct 80's feel.

I will not go on about modern Porsche I think most of the Current top models will be in the pack & maybe a SUV to .

Race cars is another tricky one think the 917 & 917/30 are given along with the 956 C or 962 cars .
On the note of output for the 917/30 the official Porsche Museum Cataloge give the car 1100-1400 Bhp depending on boost .

Odd one off cars that would be nice to the 908/03 Spyder.
911 Carrera RSR Turbo 2.1.
935 Coupe.
936/81 Spyder.
McLaren Tag Turbo F1
911 GT1
I could add the 60's F1 & F2 cars to the list.
I think they could sell boot fulls of Porsche based DLC on its classics alone .
With out the current cars . But Porsche need this as part of the wider marketing so its old & knew I just hope KS get to make more Porsche content after the first two.

But with their small team & even including out sourced help from the top flight Moders within the AC world its a big task.
They need to keep other car marks supported to.
What is coming looks good if they do a god job I am sure more will follow at a later point.

Up till now, most simracing developers have gotten it very, very wrong on 'old' race cars.
It'll be interesting to see what the older cars in this pack bring.
Every real old race car I've ever driven Chevron B16 etc... has been surprisingly good on brakes and quite 'pointed' considering.
That of course is not compared to a modern race car of which I have not driven.
Almost all I have ever driven in a simulated environment have been outright 'dogs'....moving all over the place and having little to no braking ability.
It's always explained as cars of that era didn't handle very well.
I beg to differ.

It's all fine to roll your eyes, but it's not been very well announced (surprise surprise for KS).

I don't spend my life on the internet, so the only place I can imagine would have this news clearly would be the official AC website.

But no, they're still saying 2 DLC packs!

"Today, Kunos Simulazioni is proud to announce that after more than 12 years away from the hardcore sim-racing world, the Porsche Brand will be coming to Assetto Corsa and that it’s working in a close and official partnership with the prestigious car manufacturer to release two DLC packages that will include the most iconic, authentic, awesome cars created by Porsche during its glorious history! The packs are scheduled for release for both PC and console in Fall 2016."

Please give people a break Andreas. We're not retards, we're just victims of KS's hype and misinformation :(

If the odd release of news from KS via official channels can't be concise or accurate to last three weeks then I suppose I'll just have to live with being 'out of date' on my information :)

Remember, this is the company that just very recently updated their website for the first time ~2 years. As recently as June you would have had no idea that any of the DLC packs or add-ons existed. :p

If the odd release of news from KS via official channels can't be concise or accurate to last three weeks then I suppose I'll just have to live with being 'out of date' on my information :)
For all effects the two dlcs are still the official news. Now if something changes a bit up or a bit down, is normal as things progress and in gaming nothing is set in stone.

What matters is that no Porsche DLC is on Steam store yet, so nothing changed without informing the community besides the initial Porsche license announcement and intention to make two dlcs. There's no price yet, not exact content list, so I think this is overreaction over undefined things.

I think Kunos has done a heck of a job bringing all those brands to AC with that level of quality. It is a game with great variety now. However I hope they can adjust their approach a little bit to start bringing full series into the game, especially with brands that are already licenced. E.g. a 90's GT1 expansion with McLaren, Mercedes, Porsche, Lotus and Nissan.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back