Assetto Corsa Porsche Update and Other News

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kunos Simulzioni's Stefano Casillo recently completed a substantial online chat discussing in great detail some of the many upcoming features and content pieces for Assetto Corsa.

Look what the Cat Hacked In Summer Special runs for an impressive 2 hours 16 minutes and covers a great many interesting topics. Those of you who wish to watch the episode again can do so by clicking the video image above, however for the vast majority of you who don't have a couple of hours in the day spare catching up with the Kunos guys, I've attempted to summarize the most interesting bits here for you to digest.

Coming in 2016 (confirmed)
  • The Ferrari FXX K and Ferrari 488 GTB. The FXX K we've already seen preview images of and previously knew it would appear in the console release. The 488 GTB is new news.
  • Praga R1 was recently teased by the studio and reported by RaceDepartment to much community excitement.
  • Audi A1 S1. Another new item previously unknown.
All the above are due to be released alongside the upcoming console launch as part of a mini DLC package. Price unconfirmed.

As well as the above mentioned cars, Casillo has confirmed a new laserscanned circuit will be joining the sim in 2016. No details have been forthcoming with regards to which circuit will be included.

Version 1.8
Build version 1.8, expected to coincide with the upcoming console release, could feature potentially improved optimization and framerates. The optimizations are currently undergoing extensive testing and subject to successful tests will be included as part of the 1.8 release. The new build will also include improved reflections and shadows, potential further development in blue flag functionality and, dependent on testing, a first stab at a custom championship tool.

In addition to the features and fixes for v1.8, Casillo has confirmed the new addition of an historic Monza Grand Prix track complete with the original banking.

In line with the latest Red Pack DLC release all GT3 spec cars will also receive the update treatment and find themselves with the latest tyre model version.

Complementing the historic content already in game, fans can look forward to a free 1967 version of the Silverstone Grand Prix track, due to be brought to the game before the end of 2016, possible alongside another as yet unannounced DLC offering from the studio.

Porsche
Everyone has been talking about the Porsche announcement from Kunos back in June. Finally some details are starting to emerge from the studio on what content structure fans can expect in the coming months. It has been confirmed Kunos will release three Porsche DLC packages containing a total of 24 cars from the German marque. Three of the 24 cars will be released without cost to owners of the title. The full list of cars due to come into the game have yet to be completely finalized, however we do know the first volume of Porsche DLC releases should be available in September this year. To help alleviate some of the costs of purchasing these three Porsche DLC's Kunos are looking, subject to Steam issues, to introduce a "season pass" offer that will give season pass owners a reduced rate when purchasing all three Porsche DLC's. Details of availability and costs are not known at the current time.

Confirmed Porsche models so far include (curtesy of @Epistolarius)
  • 917/30 Spyder - 1973
  • 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 - 1974
  • 935-78 "Moby Dick" - 1978
  • 919 Hybrid 2015 and 2016
  • 911 Carrera S - 2016
  • Cayman GT4 ClubSport - 2016
  • 911 Carrera Cup
  • 718 - 2016 (likely Boxster S)
  • Panamera II - 2017

In Development
Kunos Simulazioni's Stefano Casillo has also confirmed a number of new vehicles currently at various stages of development at the studio, some already known and some are quite a surprise for many interested in the sim. Confirmed to be in development and due for release in 2017 are the BMW M6 GT3, Audi R8 LMS 2016 and Toyota TS040 Le Mans prototype as well as at least one new manufacturer to join the simulation next year. Obviously work is ongoing to negotiate with manufacturers and more announcements may be forthcoming as 2017 progresses.

The studio have also hinted that development work is being undertaken to virtually recreate cars such as the Maserati MC12 GT1, Alfa Romeo Tipo 33, Lotus 3-Eleven, Audi TT Cup, McLaren P1 GTR, McLaren 570S, Audi R18 e-tron Quattro and Toyota GT-86 GT4 all at various stages of completion. No dates have been attached to these models but one can safely assume these won’t be seen until mid-2017 at the earliest, once the massive three part Porsche DLC has been released and the other proposed updates and content have been included in the sim.

The developer live stream did go on to mention another Black Cat County style free location will be added to the game at some stage in the future, however any sort of detailed information on what sort of scale and type of track we might expect is not available at this stage. Early suggestions are the circuit could be located in Scotland, so get ready for some dramatic scenery if it is!

Assetto-Corsa-Logo.jpg

Stefano has certainly given fans of the simulation much food for thought over the final weeks of summer as this is by far the largest information release we've seen from the studio in a long time. Of course much of the information contained within the stream could be subject to change so it would be wise to wait and see when some of these things are available to try out in game, but even so it looks very much like Assetto Corsa is fast becoming the PC sim racing equivalent of Gran Turismo. The future looks very bright indeed...

Check out the Assetto Corsa forum here at RaceDepartment to view all the latest news and discussions regarding Kunos Simulazioni's racing simulation. We have hundreds of topics created by community members discussing many aspects of the Italian simulator. Why not check out our Assetto Corsa Mods forum while you browse? Take a look at the many high quality user created cars and tracks available for download, or if making these mods is more your thing, take a tour of our Modding Discussion forum for WIP projects, advice and guidance and general discussion around the world of AC modding.

RaceDepartment hold regular club racing events with a wide variety of content for the sim. All you need is a premium membership and a desire to have a good time on track! Check it out today!

Exciting news from Kunos, do you think the future plans for the sim are positive? Will you be buying the Porsche DLC pack(s)? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a big thank you to RaceDepartment member @Epistolarius for his excellent round up bullet points from the stream. I haven’t had a chance to watch the whole show in full yet and have used the points he has picked out to help shape this article.

I didn't want to leave it too long before posting up a roundup, and those bullet points have helped me out enormously! Thank you @Epistolarius - you are a star ! :)

This game just keeps getting better and better. DLCs are very well priced, we have a steady flow of new content, both free and paid. We have a steady flow of patches that introduce new features and bug fixes. We get high quality laserscanned tracks. We're going to receive 24 Porsches, 3 of them are free. The first Porsches to be found in a full on racing sim since GTR2. Another DLC pack has been announced on top of that. And now I find out we're getting the MC12 GT1. I.....can't.....even... :redface:

I love this game. :D

OMG... Toyota 86 GT4...
Together with the cars we already have (BMW 235i, Evora GTC/GX, 2-11 GT4, GT MC GT4) the upcoming Cayman GT4 and mods like the Ginetta G55 GT4 we will soon have a GT4 line up complete as the GT3 one...
PIty Kunos doesn't have the AM licence to make Vantage GT3 and GT4...
You never know, AM might be the new manufacturer we'll see next year.

The developer live stream did go on to mention another Black Cat County style free location will be added to the game at some stage in the future, however any sort of detailed information on what sort of scale and type of track we might expect is not available at this stage. Early suggestions are the circuit could be located in Scotland, so get ready for some dramatic scenery if it is!

Early suggestions are the circuit could be located in Tuscany, or maybe in Scotland

;)

Last edited:
Wondering which track they have laser-scanned for December release, I think they started laughing when someone mentioned Enna Pergusa (I think?), I wanna hear the story about that.

Different racing periods. Maybe only similiar on top speed, because the F1 GTR is mid-90's and never was a GT1 car and the MC12 GT1 is mid 2000s.

Yeah the MC12 was really a race car first then turned into a road car (if you could call a car with 1" ground clearance a car! ;)) Whereas the McLaren although very advanced was a road car first. The longtail version might put up a bit of a fight but as Lorenzo says they were from different eras of development in the GT1 class.

I suppose an ideal match for the MC12 is probably the GT1 version of the Porsche 911 or the Aston Martin DBR9 GT1 (but I would imagine that's licensed to iRacing).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 201 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 253 13.3%