Assetto Corsa Porsche Previews and Ingame Footage

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 4.jpg

Kunos Simulizioni have been slowly leaking preview images from the upcoming new Porsche DLC following on from the licence announcement back on the 17th June.

Somewhat of a shock to the sim racing community, Kunos' announcement in June of a successful Porsche licence acquisition has positively set the sim racing world alight with enthusiasm to see how the Italian development team recreate some of legendary marque's most famous vehicles in Assetto Corsa.

Kunos Simulazioni’s Licensing Project Manager Marco Massarutto has recently tweeted a number of images from the upcoming DLC, leading many to believe a release is not too far away. The latest update to version 1.8 is due to roll out to players at the end of August, many will be hoping to see a similar schedule for the first Porsche DLC instalment.

To tie in with the licence to present various Porsche vehicles in Assetto Corsa, Kunos will also be providing customized software for virtual experiences within Porsche Performance Centre locations throughout the world. At one such location as part of the recent FIA World Endurance Championship race at the German Nürburgring, Sim Racer Philipp Schalli caught the below in game footage of what appears to be a 911 Carrera S racing on the German Grand Prix Circuit. Click the video below to watch the 30 second snippit of Philipp driving the Carrera S...

First look - Porsche Carrera S gameplay footage:

Check out the Assetto Corsa forum here at RaceDepartment. Here you will find a wide variety of custom setups, community created modifications and setups for a wide selection of cars. We have a lively Modding Discussions forum for users to post and reply to topics relating to the world of AC modding and show off their latest work in progress projects.

Don't forget RaceDepartment hold regular leagues and club racing events for Assetto Corsa. Check out the AC Clubs and Leagues section of the website to find out more.

Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 2.jpg Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC.jpg Assetto Corsa Porsche DLC 3.jpg

Looking forward to Porsche in Assetto Corsa? What do you think will be included in the pack? What do you WANT included in the DLC? Let's discuss below!

Last edited:
I get an erection. Great job Kunos. But I'm afraid that favors quantity over quality. Too much vehicles, for so little money. I'd rather pay more if the car will be really real.
That is a real concern as an article on pretendracecars pointed out. But the quality had been good so far and there will be more than one Porsche DLC. . We just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
One guy says they will pay more for cars and other says making dlc is gonna split the community because people don''t wanna pay money for content. No wonder companies don't bother listening. xD

Jokes aside, can I get some source on where the quality had been dropped so hard on these dlc cars that it became such a concerning issue? I'm really curious. :unsure:

Its only afraid. But compare it with iR. How long make one car? Months. No few weeks like Kunos. There is no place for same quality. Its logic. But i still love AC.

I'd say that the quality has been good so far. Don't compare Kunos and ISI as the game engines are different and the way that content is built is also different so are the Business strategies seeing ISI are supposedly looking at the community to add more content. Kunos is not doing that.
PRC stated that some of these cars are from the community and given that mods made by different people have differences in quality it may be a let down. But I am also very certain that AC being a big chunk of the Kunos meal ticket will ensure the quality is consistent, after all this is their full time jobs unlike many community modders. We also do not know how long they have already been working on the DLC.
The Porsche license was probably not easy to get and Porsche is well known for being discerning around how their product is depicted. They won't allow a product to be used in their experience centers that does not live up to their expectations.

Its only afraid. But compare it with iR. How long make one car? Months. No few weeks like Kunos. There is no place for same quality. Its logic. But i still love AC.

Based on what information? How do we know they didn't have a preliminary agreement with Porsche months ago that allowed them to go ahead and start modeling the cars? I've never seen anything saying it only takes Kunos a few weeks to model a car. Just because they're showing exterior renders doesn't mean the cars are anywhere near complete, they still have at least a couple months to continue working on them. Also, how many 3D modelers does iRacing have (I have no idea)? I believe Kunos contracts a couple dozen outside artists to do modeling for the cars so they can probably crank out a few exteriors models a week, but those models still need physics and sounds and tires and those are the things that take time because there's fewer people working on those aspects.

You could be right, I've just never seen anything to support those claims. Everything they've put out so far has been up to the same quality as anything else they've produced in the past, I don't see any reason to think that will suddenly change. If anything, Porsche will likely demand the highest quality so these cars could be the best Kunos has ever made.

The 917/30 and 962 have already had 100's of hours put into them by a couple of the best modders around. They didn't just start working on them when Kunos got the license. Look at the list of credits in AC, Kunos may only have a small number of employees but an awful lot of people have contributed to AC now and I bet a lot of them are doing 3D modelling.

Exactly, for example people pointed out the wing on the 488 GT3 was different and that was because Kunos had been given the green flag to work on the 488 back when the car was in testing phase many months prior to when the car was publicly announced to be a part of the game. The fact that they announce stuff a couple weeks prior to release does not mean they have only just begun work on it. They probably announce things so close to release without giving out the details many months in advance simply because it is easier and much more effective to keep the hype train rolling that way, that's just marketing 101.

Yup. Sad to see the 962C and 917K will not be a widespread, public mod release.

I will respond here as well, just as I did privately too, because I think this attitude is completely misjudged and misses the whole point of what it actually entails for a project to become official content in Assetto Corsa, and it keeps popping up on every platform you read about simracing-related announcements. You (in plural) might be more prone to accepting what this means coming from me, the guy who is in charge of supervising outsourced content and contracted artists and seeing most 3D vehicle-related content through development until and post release.

First of all, Meco, the author of the Cobra mod, is a professional 3D artist who has been contracted to deliver 3D models since his first involvement in the Cobra project, his works built for and released as official content from scratch among others include the AMG GT3 and the Toyota Supra. Technically speaking they were never mods, just like you can't say it for any not-yet-released content he may have worked on since. Most other artists are also professionals, but those who are also ex- or active modders on the side that can deliver at the same quality level should be considered that as well, especially taking into account the fact that they are getting paid. Again, these are contracted artists, who are doing contract work, it is not buying off a random model from a kid and releasing it as paid content as some imagine.

So if you consider this, just because something starts out as a mod, it doesn't mean it'll stay one when development continues in an official manner behind closed curtains following up a turn of events such as a licence agreement etc. It's nothing like the Miata or the Cobra, buying off those and releasing them as paid content later would be stupid, but we're not talking about something like that, are we?

Secondly, let's compare a mod with content that is released officially. Whenever we have something that starts out as a mod, at some point it is taken over from the original author and depending on the quality and state it is in at that given point, we spend weeks to further improve and optimize it to make sure it meets our pipeline and standards, plus then there is QA and beta testing to iron out bugs as much as we can. Additionally, we do not release third-party physics and sounds, and the widespread notion of "outsourcing content to modding teams" is completely false. We contract 3D artists who happen to be part of certain modding teams, but polishing, physics and sounds are always done in-house, and the modelling has to follow our guidelines, so forget this idea of "giving stuff out to some random modders so we have less work to do". It is a supervised process to make sure a certain mean level of quality is attained as much as the reference material allows.

So based on this logic in the quote, the "loss" you experience is the following: in the case of a paid release you are paying €1-2 on average per car which has undergone supervision by an internal Kunos artist, weeks and sometimes months of extra internal work and QA, received official physics and sounds and is included in the game so that EVERY user has access to it and not only the ones who bother to go on external websites to download mods. Additionally, their work will now have the chance to be presented on the console, too, so they are bound to be enjoyed by a much wider audience.

Honestly, do you really think this is an exploitation of modders and deceit of the simracing community? Also, what should modders do? Is it not a good incentive to get paid and make sure your project can potentially reach all players and that it has physics and sounds that meet a certain level? Come on...

PS: I bet you no one is going to take a screengrab of this post. ;)

Last edited:
@Gergo Panker Thanks for posting that, for the ones that want to know and have a modicum of common sense this will help settle some of their emotions so to say. Your transparency in this matter is appreciated, by me at least.

For a select few, we are excited about the future that Kunos can bring with AC.

@Gergo Panker Thanks for posting that, for the ones that want to know and have a modicum of common sense this will help settle some of their emotions so to say. Your transparency in this matter is appreciated, by me at least.

For a select few, we are excited about the future that Kunos can bring with AC.
You got that straight bud. Looking forward to this more than a 5 year old waiting for Christmas

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%