AMS Modding - Tracks (Work in progress)

Hello everyone!.

After quite a lot of time and help from some people around I was finally able to add the dynamic track groove to an converted rf1 track. I have mostly no idea what im doing, but its working so far.

First have had to get the textures:
- roaddetail.dds
- roadracingline_oval.dds
- roadnl_spec.dds

Then set the shaders in 3dsimed:
I used rz one surface grooved road.

Primary texture: My track Texture
Channel 1: roaddetail.dds
Channel 2: roadracingline_oval.dds
Channel 3: roadnl_spec.dds
Channel 4: A bump file of my track texture
Sin títuloX.png

And finally had to paint the vertex (did it with 3dsimed), quite crude, but it works:
Sin títuloXX.png

Had decent results for the first time, but seems to be the way.

So far I know: (With vertex colors)
White = for areas not in track
Black = No effects
Red color = tyre marbles
Blue Color = breaking marks
Red Color = other breaking marks

And it seems to be possible to mix them by adding intermediate color.

Need to figure out how to make the racingline texture don´t look so repetitive for the tyre marks...

Then I export as Rf1 and convert the .gmt to GSC2013 and voila!. It works... kind off.

Screenshot5315.png

Any help on how to color the vertex to have better results would be appreciated :).

Regards.

Last edited:
It s look like the red-colour seems forcing "Racing Groove" with skids and possible marbles (?)

This shaders from Reiza - seems to have the "colour-secret" same with the gras-textures and ambient-terrain-texture.
Best way will be to edit and test, test , test,
How in looks morning-day-evening, cloudy

Last edited:
Well, the racingline_oval has three layers of markings one in RED, other in BLUE and the other in GREEN. Clearly, each one works with each color in the vertex.

Last edited:
Hello everybody. Need some help from more experienced experts in AMS modding. Does anybody can provide some manual instruction how to most effectivelly create the terrain variation texture? I mean the main (big variation) map for overall circuit. I tried something that i start with the google map, desaturate it and play with the color balance and than i added some noise filter into it to eliminate sharp transition between the texture islands. I did it in GIMP so any useful information will be appreciated.

Ragarding road texture groove couple post ago what is the exact order of the UV maps and texture assigned to them?
UV map 1 - main road texture (alpha acts as specularity?)
UV map 2 - detail map (tarmac), this texture needs alha as well or not?
UV map 3 - braking marks, marbles texture (RGB), this works together with vertex paint.
UV map 4 - specular? or this map is not used?

Hello everyone!.

After quite a lot of time and help from some people around I was finally able to add the dynamic track groove to an converted rf1 track. I have mostly no idea what im doing, but its working so far.

- roaddetail.dds
- roadnl_spec.dds

View attachment 461707

And finally had to paint the vertex (did it with 3dsimed), quite crude, but it works:
View attachment 461706

Black = No effects
Red color = tyre marbles

Need to figure out how to make the racingline texture don´t look so repetitive for the tyre marks...

Then I export as Rf1 and convert the .gmt to GSC2013 and voila!. It works... kind off.

View attachment 461712

Any help on how to color the vertex to have better results would be appreciated :).

Regards.
with regards to this, what are the 3dsimed colour/transparency settings, with regards to specular power and fresnel specular things., as well as spec rgb and ambient rgb stuff

Hello everyone!.

- roaddetail.dds
- roadnl_spec.dds

View attachment 461707

View attachment 461706

Black = No effects
Red color = tyre marbles

View attachment 461712

Regards.
So I know this is needlessly resurrecting an old thread, but I only just noticed that someone (other than Patrick and WCP) had made progress reverse engineering the mythical Reiza shaders to produce marbles on the circuit -- and had shared it openly with the community! If I'm not mistaken, this had been a "dark art" not discussed openly in the past. Great work @MrOblongo, and really exciting for the possibilities of future AMS mods being able to use the FULL Reiza featureset. This is super exciting, hopefully you've continued work on this in your spare time a little bit.

Last edited:
So I know this is needlessly resurrecting an old thread, but I only just noticed that someone (other than Patrick and WCP) had made progress reverse engineering the mythical Reiza shaders to produce marbles on the circuit -- and had shared it openly with the community! If I'm not mistaken, this had been a "dark art" not discussed openly in the past. Great work @MrOblongo, and really exciting for the possibilities of future AMS mods being able to use the FULL Reiza featureset. This is super exciting, hopefully you've continued work on this in your spare time a little bit.
If would be necessary to add something additional i investigated more in deep how the Reiza shaders works during couple cooperative projects (especially ISO tracks for ISO's F1 1986mod). Hungaroring 1986, Monza 1986, Estoril 1986 and Mexico1986. I succesfully used Reiza groove shader with additional groove texture. I used base informations from Mr. Oblongo but i did everything in Blender. Vertex painting, UV mapping. Because to use the groove texture require also the unique UV mapping stored in UV channell 3 were is mapped how the groove is folowing the racing line. Its not the same UV mapping as for the main road texture. When i find some free time i will share more informations.

If would be necessary to add something additional i investigated more in deep how the Reiza shaders works during couple cooperative projects (especially ISO tracks for ISO's F1 1986mod). Hungaroring 1986, Monza 1986, Estoril 1986 and Mexico1986. I succesfully used Reiza groove shader with additional groove texture. I used base informations from Mr. Oblongo but i did everything in Blender. Vertex painting, UV mapping. Because to use the groove texture require also the unique UV mapping stored in UV channell 3 were is mapped how the groove is folowing the racing line. Its not the same UV mapping as for the main road texture. When i find some free time i will share more informations.
That's great news Martin, and thanks for continuing to work on this great sim! Glad these dark arts are finally coming out in the open more. :)

How does it goes from 3dsimed // bob to Blender? Which format do you work with? I think its quite easier to paint the vertex on Blender, 3dsimed is quite crude on that (the marking always follow the section of the track direction, so you cannot make a mark that goes from apex to external part of track diagonally, for example.).

I have been doing my own work. And had some decent progress and actually have working effects. Not quite sure if it actually do something on physics level (trying with the .tdf from other tracks). But seems to be working.

Also using the grass texture... not understand much of it, but looks nice.

Lets go down the reiza rabbit hole!.

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2021-11-05 a la(s) 15.58.41.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2021-11-05 a la(s) 15.58.41.png
    776 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
How does it goes from 3dsimed // bob to Blender? Which format do you work with? I think its quite easier to paint the vertex on Blender, 3dsimed is quite crude on that (the marking always follow the section of the track direction, so you cannot make a mark that goes from apex to external part of track diagonally, for example.).

I have been doing my own work. And had some decent progress and actually have working effects. Not quite sure if it actually do something on physics level (trying with the .tdf from other tracks). But seems to be working.

Also using the grass texture... not understand much of it, but looks nice.

Lets go down the reiza rabbit hole!.
I prepared this thread where i explain my workflow.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ams-road-shader-proper-mapping-and-vertex-painting.210684/

This is fantastic stuff! Thanks so much for generously sharing. :thumbsup: And looking forward to part 2.
How does it goes from 3dsimed // bob to Blender? Which format do you work with?
Like @MrOblongo, I also would be curious how you get the track into Blender to make these changes and then export the track out into AMS without issues (e.g. losing AMS features, transparency issues, etc). A basic question, perhaps, but as a fearful newbie to this sort of thing, I don't know!

This is fantastic stuff! Thanks so much for generously sharing. :thumbsup: And looking forward to part 2.

Like @MrOblongo, I also would be curious how you get the track into Blender to make these changes and then export the track out into AMS without issues (e.g. losing AMS features, transparency issues, etc). A basic question, perhaps, but as a fearful newbie to this sort of thing, I don't know!
Basically im using FBX export from 3dsimed. Then i import it into blender and after the work is done i export it back into 3dsimed. In blender doesn't matter how the materials looks. Important is naming of the materials, UVMaps and naming and vertex colours. Proper material settings is necessarry to do always in 3dsimed. Only i had a problem to import back into 3dsimed vertex colour alpha. There was a bug in 3dsimed which is now corrected with version 3.2b so now vertex alpha which is drawn in blender you can see in 3dsimed. Vertex alpha is used mostly to do the smooth transition between grass, gravel in terrain shader. Or water shader also use it. How to do the proper terrain variation is the sacond most complicated stuff but im almost in the finish. :-D Now i can use blender lets say without limitations compared to 3dsmax.

Hello! I have imported a track to 3dsimed, made a few changes and now I want to export it back to Automobilista. I already installed Rfactordec.exe

Could someone explain me how to save the changes I made? When I export it, it seems it only creates a portion of the .scn file and a .mas file (or the individual gmt files that go into the big .mas file)

If I paste this folder into Locations, the game doesn't recognize it. ¿What should I do?

Thank you

EDIT: no worries. I figured out it on myself. If someone needs a hand to convert tracks, PM me. I can do everything except adding the marbles

Last edited:
Hi all, Does anyone have a tutorial to work out the creation of Billboard crowds and billboard trees in 3ds max? i know martin has done them for blender but i have no idea about anything being available for 3ds max

also, does anyone have an idea on how to do AMS Skies? i know Patrick had them downpat, but i dont know how to do them without copying settings and GMTs from another track

Anyone doing Las Vegas or Miami tracks for AMS. Couldn't quite figure out skybox1.gmt errors on a rfactortools conversion (for my own use...

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back