2012 World Touring Car Championship

I am very curious what the reasons are for other brands not to participate. What is holding them back?

Since 2006 we've only seen a few factory entries (BMW, Seat and Chevy). How come other touring car brands are not interested to join?

Good question.

Seat belongs to VW so all other brands (VW, Audi, Skoda) are blocked, however it is reported that the program is just on hold, and that there is now a official 1.6l Turbo by Seat (which was not directly taken from the VW Polo WRC) and not just the Sunred engine is a sign that there might be a return of a factory program once Lada, Honda and Ford are fully there (maybe 2013 already).
BMW decided to reduce their support for the WTCC, WRC and LM programs in favor of DTM. Since Chevy is present as brand, Opel or Vauxhall (or Saab) are blocked.
Ford seems to be halfhearted, since it is just a supported project by Arena, unclear how it turns out.
Honda however seems to be fully interested in WTCC, judging from their announcements.Unlike the J.A.S. program a few years ago it a full factory team is set up. Their veto against the introduction of DTM rules into SuperGT GT500 can also be seen as an indicator of their dedication.
Lada again tries its factory program and is reported to field two or three cars in 2013. With the car in parts developed by Oreca (which also designed the new Seat engine) it proved to be fast, but it is not yet reliable.

Alfa Romeo was a big part of Touring Cars in the past, but FIAT seems to be not really interested in this kind of motorsports. They run a Formula 1 program (Ferrari), are desperately searching a Team for their NASCAR program (Dodge) after buying it from Chrysler. They also support AF Corse and the other Ferrari using GTE and GT3 teams and just started a Grand Am program (also Ferrari). There are just the TC2000 program, which is funded by the FIAT import company and the single-make cups like the Tropheo Maserati.
Volvo was interested in joining, however they didn't get the approval by their owner Geely. Mostlikely Geely wants to reduce Volvo to a regional brand and the new TTA seemed to be a better (cheaper) platform then STCC.
PSA is currently buisy with its crisis. The Peugeot LMP program was cancelled within a few days (The car was on its way to Sebring, and the track was booked by Peugeot for the 3 days after the announcement). Also they have the Citroen WRC programm running.
Toyota was hit hard by the earthquake in Japan. There was a rumor about a WTCC entry from 2013 on. Due to the fact they have a NASCAR and a LMP program running it is very unlikely.
Similar situation for Subaru, which reffering to Lotti were in negotiation with the WTCC in early 2011. But due to the earthquake it is also very unlikely they will return to the negotiations soon.
Nissan is allied to Renault and share the motorsport programs among them (e.g. rebranding Nissan World Series to Renault World Series). After the sell of the Formula 1 factory team to Geni they are just an engine supplier. There is much rumor about an LMP entry for 2014, on the background of providing LMP2 engines and fielding the DeltaWing. Now they are entering V8 Supercars.
Daimler however has a Formula 1 program and a DTM program in form of Mercedes.

It is not that easy since the whole world of motorsport is involved in such a small series. In a Facebook poll by FIA 3,61% voted the WTCC as their favorite FIA World Championship (WRC: 51,83%, F1: 31,65%, GT1: 6,87%, WEC 5,24%, Kart: 0,79%)

Now what about Kia/Hyundai.
Sure it's Front wheel, but they could bring their lineup to the track also. And currently they do not have a focus on any motorsport if I'm not mistaken
Bring either the:
Hyundai Elantra (GT)/i30/i35
Kia Forte/Cerato/Ceed
both are on the same platform and can develop a 1.6l performance engine
Hell make it cheaper....go for the Accent/i25/Rio

And if Fiat can create a little bit of budget, why no use the Dodge Dart/Alfa Romeo Giulietta......create the interest at least in some market and not the whole season and see how it goes.

other than that it was an interesting race yesterday, especially race 2 ;)

Maybe it would be nice if the regulations forbid more than two cars per brand on the track. 2 Chevy's, 2 BMW's, 2 Seats, 2 Lada's, 2 Fords, 2 X's, 2 X's Running two cars isn't that expensive for a factory backed team.

@Thilo Falkenberg great write up. However in the STCC there were Audi's, VW's and Seat's driving at one point. Not factory teams though, but at least there was enough diversity on the grid (something I really miss in the current WTCC)

Maybe the manufacturers are still reeling from the effects of the GFC - notice that the reduction of the involvement of manufacturers came a short time after the recession. The big car companies may still be a bit hesitant to splurge millions on racing/factory teams instead of putting all their effort into ensuring the future of their road car manufacturing.
Addressing the argument of series like the BTCC/STCC etc. having more variety - I guess my viewpoint counts more for the WTCC than national championships, since far more money is involved. It is a world championship, after all.

Of course you are right that the domestic series are a lot cheaper. However the WTCC is relatively cheap compared to other world championships. As a privateer you can run a full season (including car, shipments, hospitality etc) for around 2,000,000 euros I believe.

For factory teams that bring a major sponsor that can't be the only reason why they are not interested.

Something has changed over the years. When you look back to the first season of the WTCC in 2006 there were many teams and some large sponsors (Red Bull for example on the Seat's) and quite a lot of airtime on TV (Eurosport) as well.

@Thilo Falkenberg Any chances we'll see Citroen involved in WTCC? I have a feeling PSA will forward Peugeot most likely.

It's been more than 30 years since the French government merged Automobiles Peugeot with Automobiles Citroen into PSA Group, saving Citroen from bankruptcy .
I believe that Peugeot owns 90% stake of Citroen, so that pretty much summed it all up, Citroen involvement has to be approved by both Peugeot and PSA Ceo's.

Amateur answer (and guess for that matter): Not thinking that it will pay off with such a big gamble. Using millions of *insert your currency here* and then finding out you went backwards in terms of ecenomy probably isn't a great feeling.

But there are probably more reasons (see posts above)

Maybe it would be nice if the regulations forbid more than two cars per brand on the track. 2 Chevy's, 2 BMW's, 2 Seats, 2 Lada's, 2 Fords, 2 X's, 2 X's Running two cars isn't that expensive for a factory backed team.

@Thilo Falkenberg great write up. However in the STCC there were Audi's, VW's and Seat's driving at one point. Not factory teams though, but at least there was enough diversity on the grid (something I really miss in the current WTCC)

I don't think the restriction to two cars per factory team would help. BMW pulled out in favor of DTM where they enter 6 factory cars and where a season costs around 20mio per car. Seat effectively pulled out not willing to have a two-horse race. Alfa pulled out... well they had such a good car you still find it in the one or the other S2000 supporting championship. And the two following years it was still competetive...

For most of the time it works for national series, but for the World Championship a manufactor can block privateers entering if they use a model, which is not wished to run in there. Similar case was the inaugural season of the new DTM. Mercedes and Opel sent factory programs. Audi and Volvo were entered by privateers. While the Audi privateer got the approval of VW, the Volvo privateer was not approved by Ford, which owned Volvo back then. In the third year of the Audi privateer program they won the Driver's championship and got upgraded to a factory program afterwards. Of course DTM is not a world championship, but it is also based on a close relationship to the companies.

STCC still has the larger variaty of cars but are down to totally 13 cars due to TTA. However they also switch to NGTC rules now. ADAC Procar is sadly down to three S2000 cars, with more being signed-up however. 10-12 S1600 cars are filling the grid there.

Of course you are right that the domestic series are a lot cheaper. However the WTCC is relatively cheap compared to other world championships. As a privateer you can run a full season (including car, shipments, hospitality etc) for around 2,000,000 euros I believe.

For factory teams that bring a major sponsor that can't be the only reason why they are not interested.

Something has changed over the years. When you look back to the first season of the WTCC in 2006 there were many teams and some large sponsors (Red Bull for example on the Seat's) and quite a lot of airtime on TV (Eurosport) as well.

The airtime of WTCC increased even. Eurosport's qualifying coverage is something rather new. They also show the warm-up and the races. Also Eurosport reruns the races. Moreover there are now many local broadcasters showing highlights. The on air time of WTCC increased over the years.

WTCC cars are relatively expensive for privateers. With a few tenthousand €uros more, you get a GT3 car. (comparing new cars). ADAC GT Masters shows how it booms. The grid exploded from around 18 to 40 cars with extended TV coverage in Germany.

@Thilo Falkenberg Any chances we'll see Citroen involved in WTCC? I have a feeling PSA will forward Peugeot most likely.

It's been more than 30 years since the French government merged Automobiles Peugeot with Automobiles Citroen into PSA Group, saving Citroen from bankruptcy .
I believe that Peugeot owns 90% stake of Citroen, so that pretty much summed it all up, Citroen involvement has to be approved by both Peugeot and PSA Ceo's.

I don't see that coming since it is just 5 months ago that they discontinued the LMP1 program.

Maybe overall the only thing that is curently good to not have are the annoying off the race track fights between the manufactors. BMW vs. Alfa, SEAT vs. BMW, and so on.

The same Eurosport is not broadcasting the qualification at all anymore today. Not on Euro 1 not on Euro 2

Gets stranger with every race

Tennis on both channels all day. :( If I ever come across a person called Roland Garros, he is mine!

ITV do a better job with the highlights show in the UK than Eurosport do of the live stuff, i say give it to ITV, Eurosport dont seem to care about it anymore

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back