GT5 Your thoughts

Basically, i'm thinking of getting a PS3 and one of the purchases will be GT5 if i go ahead.
Just wanting to ask folks, what's you experience of the console, online racing community, GT5 and other racing games.
Havent really been one for console racing, and i dont really need to, i've got 2 monster gaming PC's, but i do like to have owened every console of every gen, and i really feel i'm missing out on GT5

I've had a PS3 for around three years now and think it's a very good console. It looks good ('fat' version), is easy to set up and use, runs quietly and has (in my opinion) the best designed controller out there. I've never had any problems with mine (touch wood) and when compared to the XBox I think it's fair to say that technical issues are far less common.

Since you appear to already have an XBox, I guess the decision to buy a PS3 rests on how appealing it's exclusive games are to you. GT5 is certainly one of the stronger ones (though some of the others are also excellent) and is a must buy if you're a fan of racing. I'm not going to go into major detail because there are numerous reviews out there already. To be fair I would say that it isn't quite as 'realistic' as some of the PC racing sims out there, but it still deserves the 'simulation' tag and the physics generally feel good. I can't compare it to other console racing games because I don't have any... I only go for sims, not arcade racers. (All my other racing sims are on PC.)

As for online racing, if you use public lobbies then it's pretty much as you'd expect from any racing game. The odd decent race but mostly demolition derbies where fair play is practically non-existent. The far better option is to come and race here in the RD GT5 Club where the racing is clean, fair and organised. :) The game itself lacks some of the online features you would expect from PC sims, but it doesn't really harm the experience. Performance can be a bit iffy though, and has been rather poor since PSN came back online a few weeks ago. It seems to be getting better though, so hopefully will be back to normal soon.

So, if you decide to get a PS3 then I would definitely get GT5. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I bought a PS3 especially for Gran Turismo 5. Have played a lot the first month after release but since I disconnected my PS3 from my steering wheel and relocated it in my living room (i thought that was cool :D) I have hardly touched it.

Time to connect it to the stig-rig soon and join Ross for some club action :)

Next to my PC is a new PS3 Slim 320GB since two weeks. I have always been a PC gamer but i bought the PS3 for two things: Blue ray, which is amazing, and GT5. On my PC a use to race the Simbin series: Race 07/On/EVO/ STCC2 and all expansion packs. If i compare GT5 with simbin in a nutshell:
PC wins with graphics. The PS3 has becoming almost obsolete when it comes to graphics vs PC GPU graphics. Sound, being careful here i prefer the simbin sound over GT5 but GT5 is very nice! Force Feed back: this is PS3! Im using a G27 and the feel of the cars is very well done. Car physics: well, im not an engineer of a professional racer. The games both feel very different. As i switch between the games i need to get used again. Im my personal opinion i must say that GT5 didnt let me down at all when it comes to the physics. Im driving simulator mode with no aids and it can be tough.

When im in a real race mood i start Simbin to do 25 laps in a two race format with a mandatory pitstop, two practice sessions, qualify and warm up and eventually the races itself. Im also running different champiomships with different cars and different tracks. These wide customization within the game lacks GT5. But GT5 is a very nice race game when i dont want to race too serious (although i can be serious...if you get my drift).

Sorry,phone, went weird and couldn't finish what I was saying. As I have another gtx 470, so I'm gonna sli them in one of my machines and enjoy a killer system.Which machine I'm not sure yet, cos in the other I have 2xhd5850's in CFSo I don't know what will give me the best fps. Gonna enjoy finding out though

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back