Wreckfest Console Release Delayed to 2019

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest.jpg

THQ Nordic have confirmed the console release of Wreckfest, scheduled for November 2018, has been delayed until early next year.

Having spent several years in development on PC, Bugbear Games and THQ Nordic announced earlier this year that the vastly improved destruction derby style game would be making a debut on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 console platform toward the end of 2019, however it appears the task of bringing this high octane title to the living rooms of players worldwide has proven more difficult than initially expected - with an initial release date of November 20th 2018 having been deferred to an as yet unconfirmed date in 2019.

"Wreckfest for consoles will only be released as soon as we love playing it. After the fantastic release on PC, the benchmark for the console release is much higher.

At this moment, the team needs more time to polish the multiplayer part, as well as the overall performance on the game to bring it up to par with the experience on PC.

We are sorry for keeping fans waiting longer because of this. However, we already have compensation in the form of further vehicles, including a special crazy vehicle, in the works for consoles. "
- says Roger Joswig, Senior Producer at THQ Nordic.
No doubt disappointing to console players keen to make the most of this very entertaining title, it is nevertheless positive to hear that both Bugbear and THQ are keen to ensure the quality of any console release is at an appropriate level for a fully finished game (something often overlooked with many new racing releases...).

More news on the latest expected release date to follow when it is made available...

Don't forget to check out the RaceDepartment Wreckfest sub forum for the latest news, discussions, events and mods for this awesome racing title.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you make of the news Wreckfest will be delayed until 2019 on console? Do you enjoy the game? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
I can only hope that the "console only" vehicle they promised is not the yet unreleased Bugbear Bug... I want that thing in my game.
If Bug means car based on VW Beetle, i'll be very surprised to see it. Bugbear dev wrote few times ago something like it's too well known car to model into game without license from Volkswagen.

Last edited:
Good, better for them to take their time and release with the current PC game quality than yet another half baked port.

Also the delay will probably be a good thing for sales and console players having any time to play the game. Currently Forza Horizon 4 and CoD Blackout are dominating and with Red Dead 2 next week gaming season is in full effect.

I like Wreckfest and if they get it right it could be a huge win for them on console.

Also worth noting that it could also mean the game ends up bigger in terms of content as they will also have time for that, and lets face it, it looks good on pc but even on max settings it isnt as good looking as some games on the xbox one x and ps4 pro with their 4k and hdr capabilities so it could be a win all round for both pc and console players.

I did see a lot of people commenting on the games facebook page saying they were going to cancel their orders though which tbh isnt fair on the dev team because its like someone has already mentioned if it were released with a lot of bugs and other problems due to it being developed for pc first and requiring a port, people would complain even more.

Flatout was a massive success for them and we dont know how long that took to produce behind the scenes because back then social media etc wasnt a massive thing so people didnt have access to screenshots and videos like they do now. Game devs release one good looking video or screenshot and people just assume that its a finished product. When in reality it could be in early stages of development. Just look at Assetto Corsa Competizione as an example that looked amazing in the screenshots released prior to early access but the early access program has shown us that its far from the finished product just yet.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back