Would you recommend steering wheel extension for P1-X rig?

I'm in the process of building my new rig. I'm using a P1-X, and I just got my steering wheel, so now trying to figure out where to position the seat, the vertical profiles that hold the Simucube2, etc.

I'll be racing in VR exclusively, so I don't need to worry about making sure my monitor sits directly behind my steering wheel. The only reason I'm considering using a steering wheel extension would be to make it a little easier to get into and out of the rig.

I did purchase the 120mm extension tube from Sim-Lab, but I failed to realize it was a 70mm bolt pattern, so I'd need to play the whole game of buying a couple different adaptors to make everything work with my PSE GT3 wheel. Also, Mika on the Granite Devices forum mentions that "The industrial servo motors are not designed to take loads from the direction that gets applied from the end of a long extension", which is apparently why they don't sell their own extension.

Here are two pictures showing what kind of leg space I have to work with currently. Is this amount of space normal for an P1-X rig? Should I not worry about the extension? (I do already have the "spacer" supplied by Simucube installed as you can see).

Leg Space 1.jpg

Leg Space 2.jpg

You can mount the wheel front mount further toward seat if you want verticals further from seat. Here is my (heavily modified) GT1-Evo with P1 front mount, using only channel closest to seat. It is rock steady, more so than I expected.

AA144A47-D140-4880-AA01-046D7AFC74AC.jpeg

You can probably shift yours by 80mm.

Here’s my spacing with seat.

F2A4F174-A12E-4FD1-9DC2-F1C49732CDAC.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not have a newer picture of my setup, but older pictures here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/my-first-simrig-build.174476/page-5#post-3088019

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, Mika on the Granite Devices forum mentions that "The industrial servo motors are not designed to take loads from the direction that gets applied from the end of a long extension", which is apparently why they don't sell their own extension.

I wouldn't worry about this. While its true servo motors are not designed to take loads from a long extension the "load" we put on these wheels is miniscule and at nearly zero speed.

I would try an extension on your wheel before I move from a 4 bolt connection to a 2 bolt connection on the front mount. I say this mostly because I know you're going to chassis motion with heave and that motor's inertia extended out puts a lot of force on that bracket.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There are some complications with extensions on SC2 due to the way QR is designed.
You either have to have extension per each wheel you have, or use two QRs which adds unneeded bulk and flex.
You can still have clean setup if going 3rd party QR like Buchfink or X-ZeroPlay with Ascher adapter.
Here's some discussion on options available.

My setup with Ascher adapter and Q1R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! I got it figured out! I think I ended up doing what you did DrRob. It looks like PSE sent me what appears to be a similar adaptor to the Ascher adaptor - it may even be the same thing. It was included with the wheel.

With this method, I can't change out wheels without having an entirely new extension system, but I figure since this wheel cost me more than my entire first sim rig, I probably shouldn't buy another wheel for a while. Haha!

Extension.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That looks nice, but it also looks awfully close to you. A good guideline is to have your wrist resting on the wheel when your arms are stretched out before you.

Upvote 0
That looks nice, but it also looks awfully close to you. A good guideline is to have your wrist resting on the wheel when your arms are stretched out before you.

Sorry - I had taken that picture before moving the vertical rails back toward the pedal tray. So yes - it’s much further away now (and I’ve got plenty of leg room to get in and out of the rig now).

Reactions: QCD
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back