Cars [WIP] 1976 Porsche 934 3.0L Turbo RSR

Isaac Chavira

Livery Designer
Hello,

I'd like to pose a question. Recently I have learned that you CAN import Solidworks files into 3DS Max. My skill set is in Solidworks 2016-2017.

Are there any modders in here willing to create a MOD with me if I provide the car model? I would need a coder, compiler and a sound person.

I really love the 1976 version of this car. I believe the one shown is the road going version, which coincidentally I want.

Thank you for your consideration

KzHfKKU.jpg

SPECS
specs_1976_porsche_rsr.png

gear_ratios.png

porsche_934_turbo_rsr_5.jpg

Rear Wheel in progress:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Someone please correct me if I'm missing something, but in my experience, converting a model made in Solidworks to a vertex-based model will give a very messy and practically unusable result...you won't be able to properly use it ingame without heavily reworking the model.

Yeah that's what people tell me. But I can export it to many different formats. I will try and use Meshmixer to reduce the polycount.

This guy talks real soft so you have to turn up the volume.

Last edited:
Someone please correct me if I'm missing something, but in my experience, converting a model made in Solidworks to a vertex-based model will give a very messy and practically unusable result...you won't be able to properly use it ingame without heavily reworking the model.

Correct.

Yeah that's what people tell me. But I can export it to many different formats. I will try and use Meshmixer to reduce the polycount.

This guy talks real soft so you have to turn up the volume.

There's a reason pros don't use automated tools to reduce polygon counts for LOD models in games. A videogame model isn't just about the number of polygons used, it's also how they are used. How they are distributed throughout a model to maximize detail where it's needed, and reduce it where it isn't. It's about having clean meshflow, properly set up normals, and on and on and on. Managing the use of the polygons is every bit as important (probably even more important) that the actual number of them.

Importing a CAD model into a polygonal program produces a mess of a result on anything other than the most basic of shapes. With the amount of cleanup work needed to produce a viable model with any kind of detail, you'd save a lot of time just modeling it from scratch in a polygon modeler from the beginning.

Trust me, I wish it wasn't the case - I'm a Solidworks user as well, I've been professionally using the software for Industrial Design on a daily basis for over 13 years. If you want to produce usable models for video games, you have to learn the appropriate software.

Well, after thinking about what Ryno said, I'll give Max 2016 a go. I still get two years on my student license. I just don't know what modeling blind is like, LOL (no dimensions). Shoot if I can learn CATIA V5 R220,21 and 24, I'm sure I can do this.

Good luck! From what I remember, the CATIA interface is quite a disaster, so if you got on with that you'll do fine! :D

I'm going to try to learn Blender in a few months. :)

From my experience working on the Perrinn LMP1 MyP1 racecar (worked on the CFD prepped model without any panel gaps and the regular one exported out of Onshape) I can tell you two things:

- Mesh reduction/destruction/optimization tools won't work for our requirements for the reasons mentioned above

- The complexity of a model built like that will kill your motivation eventually. I'm back to the point I was at at the beginning which is rebuilding the entire model because I'm too sick of removing every last hole, screw, detail each consisting of 1000 vertices because the model is built to be a CAD blueprint for manufacturing the parts

That said, this is a beautiful car with a great history and I hope you find a way to create a nice model :)

I've been using CATIA for parts like wishbones and carbon fibre tubs where I have detailed measurements to work from (I would love to have CATIAs top down draw environment with relations and angles and things for Blender...), and for that it works fine, but still needs heaps of reworking once in polygon format.

But epseically for a roundish car like Porsche it won't work like the others said

Well, I have 3DS Max 2018 now (Student Version). So, now my work re-begins, LOL.

If you can bear the extra hassle please document your progress here. I'm a Blender guy transitioning to Max so any insight you might be able to share beyond the usual 'placing empties at the center of wheels' would be greatly appreciated! Either way go forth and be epic!

If you need any insight on the physics I have some limited experience in a 930 (non turbo) Porsche 911 3.2 if that's of any value here. The car is a killer let's just put it like that :).

Will be a total nightmare , all the mesh will be good for is reworking again around it in max , the mesh have a million triangles :D

I have decided to use 3DS Max 2018. I still have two years left on my student license. I am doing a full car tutorial course of a 2010 Audi V-10 Plus. I figure once I get through that I will be prepared for the Porsche. Keep in mind I am doing the Road going version of this car. The race version slightly differs in rear wheel offset and it has racing lexan windows and is also lower. Also missing from the road car is the required FiA fire bottle. And it has slightly different aero up front.But right now I am in pain for the next couple of days.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back