Windows 10 update KB5034441: Caramel coated cluster nut

Heads will roll for this one. :roflmao:

I have 2 x retail Home Premium 64bit.
They don't even support bitlocker. lmao

Telling anyone ( like novices ) to manually resize partitions is is is....... :speechless:
I tested Mintool Partition Wizard resized recovery to 750mb
Yes it worked, update installed but ..... :speechless:

Oh the other great thing fresh W10 you will be doing this everytime.
As well it interrupts updates when doing a fresh OS.
Lucky I manually install every Windows update, cab and driver humanly possible.

So turn off updates till they sort this out.
I won't listen to MS fanboys try to defend this in any shape or form.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty nasty this time. I checked my recovery partition and it's already almost a gig, so not gonna bother mucking about with it (I also don't have Bitlocker).
Slightly surprised they haven't fixed it already...

MS released a powershell script as temp fix
...the company now also provides a dedicated PowerShell script to help you automate updating the WinRE partition (without having to resize it first) and patching the CVE-2024-20666 BitLocker vulnerability.
Considering they addresses the issue and released a temp fix, there's good hope for next patch Tuesday.

No hope about it, did they explain why they hassle W10 Home owners with this ?
Why does it not distingush a PC that has no bitlocker ?
Why haven't they withdrawn it and then modified it ?
Millions of home users and elderly you want them to follow diskpart and scripts ?
Joking surely ?

You would think at the very least their instructions would come with a warning and recommendation to backup your entire drive first.

Appalling ! Remove it from updates and fix it !

Oh this isnt't Microsoft support ! lol ;)

Oh another field goal for stores and techs hey, taking advantage of people, like everything else since the covid, richer get richer poorer get poorer.

Last edited:
...dedicated PowerShell script to help you automate updating the WinRE partition (without having to resize it first)
OK that looks promising. The "resize it first" thing seems to be a red herring given the number of people who already have big partitions on which it fails (I am pretty sure I saw a report from someone who said it failed on a 2 GB partition).
No hope about it, did they explain why they hassle W10 Home owners with this ?
Yeah, that's odd, but I've seen reports that Bitlocker can be enabled (weirdly) on some Windows Home installations, even though that's meant to be impossible.
Why does it not distingush a PC that has no bitlocker ?
Fair question; maybe because Bitlocker can be turned on without much fanfare by the user, and if they didn't apply to machines not using it, they'd then have to adjust the Bitlocker controls to revamp the WinRE when it's enabled instead... :unsure:

Point I was trying to make is the longer they leave it up the more people unprepared for this kind of thing are turning up and finding it then read "security issue" and their PC is not fixed, can't make heads or tails of instructions so many of them will take PC to shops. I bet when I go up street tommorrow PC shop floor is full of towers.

By Tuesday you will have millions more worried about online security.

Why didn't they roll this out in insider ? Aren't they suppossed to be the guinea pigs ?

I mean personally I not worried I already tested, just thinking of others.
I have VPN behind $500 router, NordPass, MalwareBytes Pro and AVG on all my devices. A lot of people out there have nothing for protection but their OS.

Actually if anything it is worse as updates can be refused, so antimalware and antivirus may not be updated.

Last edited:
The update was to fix a CVE. And it's a pretty serious one since it bypasses Bitlocker encryption. Insider is for public testing of beta features, like a fancy new start menu. Security issues are rolled out by the security experts.

May I ask what the purpose of this thread was? To prevent people from installing an update?
  • +99% of users have auto updates and -1% of users do it manually.
  • Suggestion is to disable automatic updates. How? The KB is already on the device in +99% of cases. On the same PC they're reading this topic with.
  • Why did you install the 3rd party workaround in the first place?
  • When 3rd party software is necessary to enlarge recovery volumes to fix a leak in drive encryption.... then it's probably a good idea to not deploy the KB at all. Even more so because Bitlocker is inactive in your Home Edition.
  • What's the point of manual updates if you immediately install workarounds and then install the KB anyway?
  • Advice to resolve the issue would've been nice.

Perhaps I'm missing essential information which makes the above one big, wrong assumption. If so, please share. And my apologies if anything I said offended you in some way. But I cannot seem to find any logic behind this. And I need the logic :D

Explanation for Home edition having Bitlocker updates.
The Win10 and Win11 .iso's all have the same underlying infrastructure. They all include the same Windows Features like rdp/hyper-v/bitlocker/etc. But in Home edition they just aren't activated.

So if today you decide to upgrade to Pro/Enterprise your system would be ready for that. No need to install a fresh .iso. It just downloads some stuff and upgrades itself to Pro. Going backwards, though, is not possible and demands you roll out a fresh .iso.

By keeping all Editions as identical as possible, MS can easier/faster rollout updates and security patches. Many license models work like this; everybody downloads the same application but you only unlock those features you paid for.

Last edited:
  • +99% of users have auto updates and -1% of users do it manual

99% really ? Is that suppossed to be a fact or according to you ?
What about the people pause updates, that is manual.
What has that got to do with anything anyway.
Is the moral to be a mushroom kept in the dark and fed nothing but bs.
No wonder 99% of users are airheads
  • Suggestion is to disable automatic updates. How? The KB is already on the device in +99% of cases. On the same PC they're reading this topic with.
No its NOT on 500GB partiton ? ! It will keep banging away trying to install and screwing other updates from running.
  • Why did you install the 3rd party workaround in the first place?
I did it just to check if it worked, I said it did.
Doing fresh OS to me is very easy and simple
Yes unlike 99% of users think it is too hard to do a fresh OS.
They don't even know best methods to setup and backup their OSes
Simple as that.
Oh I did another fresh OS because it will turn back to 500MB anyway
next OS so I put it back and pause updates for a month.
You now going to sit here and tell me people don't pause updates either ?
  • When 3rd party software is necessary to enlarge recovery volumes to fix a leak in drive encryption.... then it's probably a good idea to not deploy the KB at all. Even more so because Bitlocker is inactive in your Home Edition.
Exactly what FOOL thought it was a good idea to lump this on everyone ?
Simply appalling people should be sacked.
  • What's the point of manual updates if you immediately install workarounds and then install the KB anyway?
You should ask your 1 percenters that do this, I can't answer for all of them only myself.

It is like asking why do the majority of people that download torrents do it with their pants down ie: No protection or VPN ? I have no clue except they are clueless.
  • Advice to resolve the issue would've been nice.
From who ? This is not Microsoft.

Way they could solve this.
A new build so Home owners can do a fresh windows that will make the 1GB or bigger recovery partition.
That is the answer okay so all builds remain the same.
But I asked why do I need it for as a Home Owner ?

Well Tuessday is here ? Untold more open their eyes wake up to wtf lol

All MS did was link a page how to fix it.
No where did they say this is risky or for everyone to backup all their data first.

Now what is better:
Letting auto updates run and stuff up in background
Screenshot 2024-01-16 073515.jpg

Or pause updates for a month ?
Why do MS let you pause updates for a month ?
They do it for people that know their stuff, that have good VPN and other protection that will crush anything that MS useless tools can't protect you from.
Oh you should buy Pro. Are you being serious.

Last edited:
So answer me this ? Why would I want to toss 2 retail Home and buy 2 retail Pro
to solve their stuff up, are they going to pay for it ?
Oh I can then use bitlocker, for what ? I have better encryption.
( no no upgrade is a waste of 2 OS someone else could use ..do you buy retail ? Thought not )

Again I surprised if the average user in your " 99%" would even understand
Bitlocker. Now he going to tell me 99% of Pro users use Bitlocker.
Say like pausing updates and checking manually when you feel like it ?
I can hear the moans now ..... Oh oh it is all too much bother !!! lol ;)
Just like bitlocker would be to your average user.

You also totally ignore some people do many OSes for many different reasons.
Everytime they want a fresh OS on Home they will have to resize the partition before first updates to have a seemless install. That is unacceptable.

If you ask me this was a covert effort to make money from Pro upgrades.
YES sabotage.

Thousands upon thousands of towers sitting in shops all around the world being upgraded to Pro or W11. My store said they have never been busier !

MS tech : "Hey guys just ran final checks and the update locks up on Home Edition. We ready to burn ! "

As of September 71% still use W10 Millions of those are Home users
W11 has only 24% Windows 7 4% Rest 1%

You think that is where MS gurus thought W11 sales projections would be in 2024?
There is your motive :x3:

Last edited:
I've had this KB update failing to install on my system for a week now. I'm not going to mess with partitions to fix it either, I'll just ignore it until M$ pull their finger out.

Last edited:
Ok I offended you apparently. Good luck mate.

Not offended.
I gave a warning in very first post. ? ;)
So turn off updates till they sort this out.
I won't listen to MS fanboys try to defend this in any shape or form.
Did not want lecture from MS Fanboy.
When you ignore bi-polar person then beware. ( shrugs)
I honestly don't see how anyone can defend them.
Then told me to buy 2 retail versions of Pro and throw my 2 retail home in the rubbish bin.
......and you think me doing a fresh windows or testing resize is drastic ? lol

Wednesday here no fix so they bs about that too.

P.S. New build incorporates 1-2GB recovery for everyone would be best for mine.

But like I said this is not the issue. it is allowing more users to come along and fall in this trap and think omg my security is compromised then and they run off to local PC shop and get fleeced because they know no better.
Like I guarantee 3 out of 4 shop owners wouild say i can fix this just buy W11. ffs
You think the average user has no experience goes searching the interent ?
No they don't because they don't have a clue where to start
Let alone deal with diskpart and scripts ....like I say again wake up MS.

That is WHO I have been thinking of all this time including small business owners. Every second ticks by is more and more get caught with this totally avoidable crap.

I mean what did they do when pre-deploytment testing found this bug ?
They released it anyway ! Stuff Home users they said ! didn't they ?

So stuff them !

Last edited:
Then told me to buy 2 retail versions of Pro and throw my 2 retail home in the rubbish bin.
I think you need to calm down a little. Who told you to buy 2 retail versions of Pro? I'm confused.
Released it anyway, basically stuff Home users them they said, didn't they ?
Are you under the impression that Pro installations are not affected by this bug? If so, you are wrong. My installation is W10 Pro and it's affected.

Really !
Sorry, I thought Pro was immune.
So it's only if you already run bitlocker you have no issue ?

So basically anyone ( that way inclined..no offence meant ) takes a PC to shop will be getting W11 forcefed to them. lol ;)

Still can't fathom why they would inflict this on people when they well knew beforehand it was compromised.
Whomever made that call should be shown the door.

Last edited:
Really !
Sorry, I thought Pro was immune.
So it's only if you already run bitlocker you have no issue ?

So basically anyone ( that way inclined..no offence meant ) takes a PC to shop will be getting W11 forcefed to them. lol ;)
My understanding (not that I'm certain) is that this bug indiscriminately affects people with and without Pro, with and without Bitlocker, based on something about the contents of their recovery partitions.

As I mentioned above, mine isn't too far short of 1 GB in size and it's still failing, despite the recommended fix being to increase the default 500ish MB by another 250 MB. This to me means that they don't really understand the root cause yet so I'm happy to wait until they clue up a bit.

Plenty of us are on machines that don't even support W11 (e.g. me) so that ain't happening :D

Ah okay thanks for clarification.
Much worse then I thought there are 1.6 billion windows users on PC's. :coffee:
I wonder what percentage are affected. :confused:

Would have to be at least 0.1% of users would see ERROR - FAILED - SECURITY
and just turn their PCs off !
If my maths is correct that would be 1.6 million. lol

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling