Windows 10 2004...

As far as updates go I think one that installed automatically is now freezing my PC. When it freezes my only option is to force a shutdown every time and restart. It happened one night 3 times.
How di I control what updates actually get loaded into my PC.
Right now after a whole lot of reading and trying a few different things I'm left with a full clean new install or a repair install from a Win 10 USB which I just bought.

Do you mean you brought MS W10 stick ? .....I have same

or you mean you brought a thumb drive to put windows 2004 on

If you do from the W10 USB stick it will be old version of W10 and will be too many updates it does not need and be messy and yes maybe freezing

Buy cheap USB2.0 8GB thumb drive it will install W10 almost as fast as USB3.0 ultra so don't
buy expensive one to put W10 on

Get media tool and download W10 2004 then do a fresh install

Do you want to partition hard drive imho anything bigger then 60GB for a OS is a waste ( unless you use other big programs which must run from C drive but I stumped to think of any )

Last edited:
MEDIA TOOL ( scroll down to 2nd heading )

The good reason for keeping small OS is 2 fold

When you re-install fresh OS in setup you delete the 3 little partitions and C drive ( not D, E etc )
Then you just click NEXT it will setup those partitions that exist and retain your licence number

If you have one big C drive you can't do this as you would delete everything on the drive or have to transfer it elsewhere ...just to do a fresh OS

Once you done that you can pack your W10 thumbdrive box away including the licence key cedit card
they give you ...forever ;)

P.S. Don't believe the media tool info says you need a licence key

To get started, you will first need to have a licence to install Windows 10

Bollocks !
Disconnect Internet
Run W10 install
ALWAYS click on " I have not got a key" and " I don't have internet"
Anything else they ask say NO to ..after you get windows setup perfect and drivers then you worry about going online and only then..........now you enter your licence key for first and last time

Last edited:
I bought Windows 10 on a USB from Microsoft.

Well if it was old stock it won't be version 2004

Reason i brought it so I could keep same W10 licence no matter how many PC I upgraded I have run it on 6 /7 PC all up ;)

Okay if it is old copy when you go online it will download all sorts of updates one after another

Only updates you should get are :

Cumulative update
Flash update
Net frame update
1 antivirus
1 anti malware
when you run update again you may get 1 more anti virus so MAX 6 downloads in history

So if your MS thumb drive downloads more updates then that it is a older version

which does not matter the slightest you paid the premium so you can use it on any PC like I did ;)

Last edited:
Sorry it of course could be latest version of W10 on the thumbdrive you got

If you ordered through Microsoft you would get 2004 version but many stores have old stock ;)

Even if it is 2004 version I would still download another 2004 onto a $5 thumb drive and use that for reinstall and put the retail one back in box

OEM KEY is tied to the hardware
RETAIL KEY is tied to your Microsoft account :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Installed the latest Windows (version 2004) yesterday as soon as it became available to my pc. Several reboots later everything was fairly stable. Most racing apps ran fine including SimCommander and the NLR Motion Platform. VR on the Oculus Rift S was fine; however, I did notice a decrease in frame rate in a lot of my games. So, I downloaded the newer standard nvidia WHQL driver for guru3d.com. Once installed, minor problems occurred with games crashing at random points. I disabled the realtek HD audio manager. Things got better. I tried enabling g-synch in the nvidia control panel. Things got worse.

I did not bother with Hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (HAGS) as it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time according to most of the folks at guru3d.com.

Anyway, to make a long story short: After installing the newer standard nvidia drivers, I had to go back and downgrade the drivers to the prior nvidia DCH WHQLs and turn G-synch OFF in the nvidia control panel before I could get everything to run without crashing.

For reference in Windows version 1909 at 3840x1440, I was running at 70 FPS (without OC'ing the graphics card) in Forza Horizon 4. Now I am running about 65 FPS. Still good enough to enjoy but a bit of a let down. Ironically, FH4 has always been the finickiest piece of gaming software I own. Once it runs without a hitch I know the rest of the system is fine.

As for the Oculus Rift S, still stable 79-80 fps in AMS2, ACC, etc.

System specs: i9-9900 conservatively OC'd to 4800 ghz due to high ambient temperatures, 2080ti (undid overclock for Win 2004 to sort issues) , MSI z390 Gaming EDGE AC with wifi, 16 gb ram and two 1tb SSDs.

Sim racing goodies: GTTrack, Accuforce Pro v3, Clubsport v3 pedals, NLR v3 Motion, TH8a H-shifter, Fanatec handbrake, Oculus Rift S, and 34 ultrawide monitor.

As always, these OS upgrades tend to be risky. For me, it was largely successful. Hope it will be for the rest of you.

Good luck to you all!
Yeah, well, I would advise to all reading this, make sure Windows 10 does not have any major bugs/bugs that might affect you before you install.

*** = latest updates

For fresh OS and offline manual install ( W10 64Bit )

1. Adobe Flash Player >>> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4561600

*** 2. .NET Framework >>> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4569745

*** 3. Cumulative >>> https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4566782

Select the correct version to download easy to confuse with Windows Server x64

In Adobe click on the tab " Last Updated" it will bring the newest to top

*** Note info says 1903 or later

Untitled 1.jpg

Last edited:
I actually had a bug for some reason my good mouse has started freezing for a second
I not sure exactly when it started as I ignored it as dirty laser

My everyday mouse ( logitech wireless) works okay

I still convinced it's not the mouse, doing 2 fresh OS today so I found out either way

6 hours to download and install 2004, and it still hasn't finished. Turned on PC to run some laps for the first time in weeks, laggy as hell, update was monopolising my HDD for 3 hrs straight. God forbid if I had something urgent to do.

I can choose when to install, but I can't choose when to download the updates it seems apart from some metered connection option. Sigh.

6 hours to download and install 2004, and it still hasn't finished. Turned on PC to run some laps for the first time in weeks, laggy as hell, update was monopolising my HDD for 3 hrs straight. God forbid if I had something urgent to do.

I can choose when to install, but I can't choose when to download the updates it seems apart from some metered connection option. Sigh.

Hi, you mean you have very slow internet ? so download windows to thumb drive took like 5.5 hours because even on slow sata W10 should take no longer then 30 minutes

On my 970 and 960 Samsungs I use 60GB on each for OS on 2 towers
They take 10 minutes to install W10
I then do everything manual which takes 1 hour +

The best thing I do to save heaps is to use a SSD thumb drive in a hub which i can connect to either PCit houses GB's of copy and paste folders, standalones apps drivers and everything else you need, it runs at 400+mb/s

That saves me reinstalling about 40 tools and apps on 2 PC and never lose a thing
Many more pro

I usally do both towers ay same time for similar updates ( after there is 4/5 updates for W10 or drivers or important apps like NordsVPN , tuneup pro and Malwarebytes pro )

To have both tower fully done all tools , custom open shell and start manager
it takes me less then a morning

People reinstall Steam, Rockstar, Origin etc etc etc
DON'T they will run from from old folders on another partition ( lots of software does but you do lots of testing to see what works and don't so hundreds of hours and many installs to get right once you do it is a breeze

Last edited:
Hi, you mean you have very slow internet ? so download windows to thumb drive took like 5.5 hours because even on slow sata W10 should take no longer then 30 minutes

On my 970 and 960 Samsungs I use 60GB on each for OS on 2 towers
They take 10 minutes to install W10
I then do everything manual which takes 1 hour +

The best thing I do to save heaps is to use a SSD thumb drive in a hub which i can connect to either PCit houses GB's of copy and paste folders, standalones apps drivers and everything else you need, it runs at 400+mb/s

That saves me reinstalling about 40 tools and apps on 2 PC and never lose a thing
Many more pro

I usally do both towers ay same time for similar updates ( after there is 4/5 updates for W10 or drivers or important apps like NordsVPN , tuneup pro and Malwarebytes pro )

To have both tower fully done all tools , custom open shell and start manager
it takes me less then a morning

People reinstall Steam, Rockstar, Origin etc etc etc
DON'T they will run from from old folders on another partition ( lots of software does but you do lots of testing to see what works and don't so hundreds of hours and many installs to get right once you do it is a breeze

It has finished now, thank heavens! :)
My internet isn't the problem, I have very fast fibre, the problem was solely with the installation process. It's fine now though and seems to be working okay.

NOW you should examine every single heading and sub heading and sub headings of sub headings :p in Windows Settings
There is so much you can do away with or turn off, I dislike settings and icons
and task-bars that are just there because they can be

Also bring up old control panel and tweak it is much easy to use for basic changes when you setting up a fresh OS then re tweak W10 settings

In the entire W10 start menu / icons of default window I only use calculator and OSD keyboard pinned and the only things I don't uninstall are calculator and notepad ..the rest goes ! :confused:

The complete W10 start menu is one mouse scroll long and that includes my folders and programs installed ...only ones you see beside calculator you can't remove even winaero won't do that otherwise there would be nothing at all there and no tiles so no metro

w10 startmenu.jpg

So using Open Shell this is how my desktop start menu looks ...that's it
the headings expand but I don't use that anyway .. ie: can't delete it

startmenu.jpg

This is what I use hover anything expands etc

desktop.jpg

Sims so basically everything works and looks W7

sims.jpg

Attachments

• startmenu.jpg
    startmenu.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52