Windows 10 2004...

Installed the latest Windows (version 2004) yesterday as soon as it became available to my pc. Several reboots later everything was fairly stable. Most racing apps ran fine including SimCommander and the NLR Motion Platform. VR on the Oculus Rift S was fine; however, I did notice a decrease in frame rate in a lot of my games. So, I downloaded the newer standard nvidia WHQL driver for guru3d.com. Once installed, minor problems occurred with games crashing at random points. I disabled the realtek HD audio manager. Things got better. I tried enabling g-synch in the nvidia control panel. Things got worse.

I did not bother with Hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (HAGS) as it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time according to most of the folks at guru3d.com.

Anyway, to make a long story short: After installing the newer standard nvidia drivers, I had to go back and downgrade the drivers to the prior nvidia DCH WHQLs and turn G-synch OFF in the nvidia control panel before I could get everything to run without crashing.

For reference in Windows version 1909 at 3840x1440, I was running at 70 FPS (without OC'ing the graphics card) in Forza Horizon 4. Now I am running about 65 FPS. Still good enough to enjoy but a bit of a let down. Ironically, FH4 has always been the finickiest piece of gaming software I own. Once it runs without a hitch I know the rest of the system is fine.

As for the Oculus Rift S, still stable 79-80 fps in AMS2, ACC, etc.

System specs: i9-9900 conservatively OC'd to 4800 ghz due to high ambient temperatures, 2080ti (undid overclock for Win 2004 to sort issues) , MSI z390 Gaming EDGE AC with wifi, 16 gb ram and two 1tb SSDs.

Sim racing goodies: GTTrack, Accuforce Pro v3, Clubsport v3 pedals, NLR v3 Motion, TH8a H-shifter, Fanatec handbrake, Oculus Rift S, and 34 ultrawide monitor.

As always, these OS upgrades tend to be risky. For me, it was largely successful. Hope it will be for the rest of you.

Good luck to you all!

As always, the upgrade to Windows 2004 was absolutely seamless with no issues whatsoever.

Don't recommend turning on GPU HW scheduling myself, though. Even if it seemed to improve input lag a bit, it also introduced random microstuttering. Turning it off made everything go back to how it was, so it wasn't a coincidence.

• Deleted member 197115

Same flawless experience here. Updated 2 gaming PCs and 3 Surface Pros.
GPU HW scheduling is junk though, at least in VR. But it's disabled by default.

I’ve yet to have a problem with a Windows update and I originally installed Win 10 just after it was released. However, I always wait for the update to be offered on my machine rather than selecting the “search for updates“ option which will give you the update even if something on your system is not fully compatible. I also exclude driver updates from the standard Windows update as I like to decide which drivers I use.

Was hoping there was more discussion on this as I have yet to download. I have seen it was waiting in my downloads available but with 1909 working have been hesitant. Will likely update this weekend, to make sure have time to make any changes....

To be continued....

My advice is go download 2004 and setup a fresh OS offline

I do all manual quality updates so this is all you should have at this point in time

Untitled 1.jpg

Upgrading a upgraded OS will eventually gets bugs

My advice is go download 2004 and setup a fresh OS offline

I do all manual quality updates so this is all you should have at this point in time

View attachment 391299

Upgrading a upgraded OS will eventually gets bugs

Is this referring to a Win7 => Win10 upgrade? Or do you also advice against a Win10 install that has been upgraded to 1909 to be upgraded again to 2004?
MS still think my PC does not need to go to 2004 and who am I to dissent? :)

Just how do you go about getting / finding out what manually needs updating? I'm desperately in need of a fresh install but never done it offline

No issues either with updating to w10 2004.
GPU HW was disabled at launch, I enabled to see if there was any difference and it just seemed to make VR games stutter so I just disabled it.

To be honest I could never be able to tell if I lost 5fps in a certain title...as long as it performs at or above my refresh rate needed I am happy.

Win10 (2004) ran flawlessly for me as well.
I used the Nvidia 455.41 driver with my now-sold GTX1080Ti and did not experience a single crash.
I've since switched and am currently on 20H2 for the past few months (19042.423).
It too, has been extremely stable.

You can manually force the update through the link above.

The update should normally be provided automatically in a default configuration of Windows Update. If it is not provided on a certain system it is not perfectly impossible that there is a good reason for this. Maybe a update component that's not been tested with a certain combination existing on the system or whatever.
So maybe just wait - hacking around on upgrades to working systems is always a good start to a bad ending:)

Is not hacking upgrades I only install manually when I do a fresh OS
Windows has links to manually download everything for OS except anti malware and anti virus def, they must be downloaded every time
MS would not let you do manual if manual install was a issue

One reason to install them manually it helps prevent any online problem 1/2 way through a install
more then once I have had auto installs online lock up and other things
Another reason if you do a lot of fresh OS it saves re-downloading 500mb each time

Disconnect Internet
install 2004
run mpam-fe
run malicious removal tool ( quick scan )
install the 3 windows updates ( Flash, Netframe and Quality)
install DX June
install all runtimes you need ...you can find this out by first letting windows install everything then run
every app and game you have ..from that you should know exactly which runtime you need to download and archive
install all drivers
install all apps
always restart if it asks when it asks .... not 1 reboot after you install all apps and drivers

Archive everything then you should not need a single download and can remain offline till you tweaked all apps and changed 100 or so W10 menu settings, basically everything they say yes to say no
If you don't do all that before you go online settings will take over

After that double check everything and only then do you go online
Should get 2 updates one anti-malware one antivirus def
pause updates
done

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back