Williams Driver Decision Not Expected Until New Year

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Segey Sirotkin Williams Link.jpg

Williams Mercedes have indicated that they will not be rushed in finalising a driver decision this year, potentially leaving the decision to fill the most competitive seat in Formula One until 2018...

With January next year marking just a few weeks until serious pre season testing is set to begin for the new season, Williams have indicated to the official Formula One website that the once great British team will not be pushed in to making a decision on who will partner Canadian teenager Lance Stroll in the Martin backed Mercedes powered cars before the Christmas break, leaving potential 2018 candidates Robert Kubica, Sergey Sirotkin, Paul di Resta and Daniil Kvyat a long festive break while the Grove based squad finalise their plans for the upcoming year.

Initially it was thought that Polish former Grand Prix winner and some time rally driver Kubica would be in prime position for the seat, however recent tests with Renault reserve and well funded Russian Sirotkin have potentially swayed the opinion of Williams management, with the 22 year old now looking like the most favoured candidate to line up for one of the last few remaining top seats on the grid.

Once Williams make a decision on the second seat alongside Stroll that will pretty much mark the end of the driver merry-go-round for 2018, leaving attention to focus on new car launches and pre season testing all due to begin in the open three months of the 2018.

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Who do you think Williams should sign for 2018? Is a decision to delay until 2018 a sign of difficulties behind the scenes for Williams? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It looks to me like they want Kubica to find more funds to match Sirotkin's offerings and gave him time to find more sponsors, otherwise they would sign one or another and would start preparing them with team procedures etc.

Or perhaps it's all decided already, Williams are just playing the 'keeping the tension' game to promote team in news and enjoying the increased sales of their branded goods in both Poland and Russia.

My Heart Goes for Kubica, but my logical brain goes for Sirotkin.

F1 Needs fresh Talent...

• Deleted member 205301

F1 Needs fresh Talent...

thank you
Williams is trying to increase prices : welcome to the auction world ! sad for sport :(

give Sergei this seat : He deserves it, and he's new blood, give him his chance, other drivers (kubica, DiResta and else) already had...
@++

...other drivers (kubica, DiResta and else) already had...
And did they not doing it well ?
Especially taking in consider the teams they got in their hands.
Tbh... I got nothing against that guy... Sirotkin, just... I mean blame me as much as you wish, I don't really follow those lower categories, got no time for it but... I've never heard of a guy.
And I know both di Resta and Kubica are great drivers, they just need something better than Sauber, say. Call me nostalgic but I would prefer both of those names back in F1. I mean... as a long J. Villeneuve fan, I would prefer him of course but sometimes you have to be a bit realistic. :D

• Deleted member 205301

as a long J. Villeneuve fan,

...probably would says "G" and not "J" (cause honestly, Jacques weren't the iconic driver his father was)
I understand your way of thinking, cannot say you're wrong, just different point of view ;)
@++

...probably would says "G" and not "J" (cause honestly, Jacques weren't the iconic driver his father was)
I understand your way of thinking, cannot say you're wrong, just different point of view ;)
@++
You mean about this JV/GV matter or this.... eternal diR/Kub/Sir saga ?
About JV - I wasn't watching F1 in Gilles time, of course so I couldn't be real fan but JV... it's another story... a young dude comes straight from Indy (the coolest racing on Earth, as you may see from my avatar:)) saying whatever he wants and fight (and win, and oh boy.. in what way! down to last Jerez race) great Schumacher. Funny thing is that I wasn't a fan until 2000 AD. :D
And I wasn't saying he was "iconic driver" just that I'm a fan. Again your english interfere? :D
And the other matter... well ok, we can all have out opinions and I wasn't surprised you know... Russians and French are long time allies. :laugh:

• Deleted member 205301

in fact was talking about this "eternal diR/Kub/Sir saga" ;)
@++

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back