Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

In my head I just cannot reconcile the cost and performance difference going with a 3090 over a 3080.
The 3090 FE appears to overclock significantly better & easier than the 3080 because of that massive heatsink. Probably still power limited, but it does appear that the other firms are aware of the power and designing accordingly as they've not all adapted nVidia's power pins.

Some owners are reporting issues that may be driver or power/bios related. Igor at igorslab.de reports high transient voltages spiking to 500w on 3080 FE (unsubstantiated, can't find the quote).

Videocardz
https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-rtx-3080-sees-increasing-reports-of-crashes-in-games

WCCFTech

Igors Lab

Last edited:
I think the 3090 performance is as expected, but I find it surprising that they really made the 3080 as fast as they did for the price. There is basically no room for a 3080 Super, so the possible other 3080 will just have more memory.

I've been very happy with my 3080. I didn't really realize on the launch day how lucky I was to get one 30min after the launch, I thought they would be widely available pretty shortly.

I've also read reports of instability with the 3080 cards. It seems that the boost curve profiles are quite aggressive, which leads to spikes in the power need. I have a 1000W Corsair power supply and have not had any issues.

Last edited:
Just saw this over at the OCUK forum and had to repost :roflmao:

209ff0c94933223801d9ee78f5fff08c74181427.jpeg

techpowerup have some interesting reviews of the 3090. The power availability appears to be higher with this card, 480w! It’s possible the 10-15% over the 3080 may be closer to the 30% we were told.
Kingpin got some huge Synthetic benchmarks.
Still shocking value compared to a 3080, but in my opinion not so shocking compared to a 2080ti. All a bit confusing!

Kingpin got some huge Synthetic benchmarks.
Still shocking value compared to a 3080, but in my opinion not so shocking compared to a 2080ti. All a bit confusing!

That'll be under LN2 extreme overclocking. Also talking about insane amount of power required well over 500w.

You want to be careful here a lot of pro overclockers add mods to the cards and make custom bios to unlock the power limits and use exotic cooling methods. Ideally you want a card that has a high limit built in and is a highly binned chip with a really good cooler, or add a water block to. Not gonna be the same on any old 3090 you can get. Also getting your hands on a highly binned chip is less likely when supply is low at launch.

That is insane! I watched gamers nexus do something similar with the 3080 but I have not looked at the comparative results.
The card I ordered does have the potential for 480w and 1890 out of the box. When and if I ever receive it?

Somehow I see lower benchmarks to Kingpins on mine.

Last edited:
The strix oc 3090. I am still on the fence with the 30 series even though I have ordered, the power efficiency besides the 3090 value is terrible. I still may cancel should AMD do something special, below 300w 16gb with around 3080 performance would swing it.
Do you have any intentions on changing cards?

Last edited:
Do you have any intentions on changing cards?

Not really, not for the computer I use for simracing as it runs just fine, more likely to update the cpu to reduce some of the cpu bottleneck. However I run a seperate rig for CAD and 3d rendering in Lumion which works like a game. On that machine I need at least 16gb of vram as outlying cases for importing unoptimised models, and rendering lots of trees easily fills the vram when you are in a pinch. I'm making do with a Radeon vii for now, does the job but render times aren't great. The 2080ti runs it over 2x faster but crashes when you max out the vram. Lumion is so hard that they advise to run a 1080p monitor for the viewport. A 2080ti will struggle to do 60fps in this program.

So I am waiting for AMD as they are for sure going to be far more efficient due to TSMC 7nm, but its compeltely unknown performance. If AMD have done a blinder built on the sucess of the 5700xt and more than doubled its performance as promised they will have a 6900xt with over 5000 processors which comes in 16 and 32gb (pro version) flavours that could end up faster than the 3080 and a 6800xt 16gb which either matches or slightly slower. Both of which are going to be 300w or less as well. Admit this is a dream world right now but no harm in waiting to see if these rumours are true.

I dont think they will do another Vega which was a disaster, but also know they are great at screwing up launches. But they do come back stronger quietly later when noone is paying attension. Like oh look the 5700xt is as fast as the 2070 super now?! When did that happen... they don't have the shock value or rep Nvidia has.

Last edited:
For the sake of our future wallets let's hope so.
Nvidia have at least admitted the 3080 might be beaten. No other reason they would have dropped its launch price. Current prices should settle once competition is known and stock comes back. Best thing is to not panic buy or sell in uncertain periods like we are in now. If you get one at launch awesome. Manage to preorder baseline msrp price also good. Everyone else should wait.

For anyone interested, I'm posting a link to a fellow Polish simracer testing 3080 in ACC. He also tested the game using triple 1440p.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I'm posting a link to a fellow Polish simracer testing 3080 in ACC. He also tested the game using triple 1440p.

Intel Core i9-10900K OC 5.3 / 5.0 GHz
Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080 (also overclocked)

Epic Settings, triple 1440p
1601040181877.png

And to round out our expectations... how much turning down the graphics will boost fps.
Low Settings, triple 1440p
1601040227917.png

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play