F1 2010 Will turning off assists help me do quicker lap times?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi people,

First post on here for me :) Loving this site btw!

Anyway, I bought a Microsoft Wheel (I'm on the 360) on Monday via Ebay and I must say I'm loving it! My lap times are improving as I'm getting more and more used to it. Just wondering if turning off assists will help me improve my lap times? I've currently using Traction Control on Medium, ABS On and driving automatic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

cheers.

Andrew

Manual gears is definitely the way to go, it's so much more fun and involving than relying on the game to make the decisions when you should change gear. I am not one of the quick drivers but I definitely improved my driving once I turned off all the assists.

Dodgy Aussie.
I must say I do not agree that it is inherently faster to turn off assists.
It is however more "immersive" and much more realistic.
I found that I could compete with all assists off against Professional AI and get podiums. However against Legend AI I found it neccessary to turn traction control back on to medium. Because in the heat of battle and on worn tyres you can nail that throttle out of the corner and let the electronics sort out traction. Without it, much more consistent skill and throttle control is required.
It becomes even more critical in the wet. I will turn TC to full in a wet race against Legend AI and get podiums and without it will be well down (say up to 10 sec a lap). You simply make more errors with no asisists and that it why it is more realistic and will improve your driving.
Assists are a soft form of an unfair advantage as they help overcome errors.
In a seven year season as I jumped to Legend AI in yr 2 and turned all assists off and fuel and tyre sim on WOW it was a tough challenge. I neede to lean on some assists to at least let me compete. My plan is to gradually wean myself off and make it tougher and tougher as i progress.

In summary: for realism, all off. For consistency and a little help use one or two as required. If symptoms persist see you race coach.
I too am an Aussie by the way.

Its harder to be consistently quick with no assists but i cant tell you how much better it is to race without any. It takes quite some practice but is well worth it. I do hate racing guys that do use ABS and TSC though as they get away with murder through pretty much every corner!

Done a 100% race around Shanghai with my online mates the other day with no assists and only had 2 half spins during the whole race. Great feeling of achievement afterwards :)

I use to race with Traction Control & Automatic Gears, when i took them off, i saw no hope in accomplishing it at all, i span out all the time & said a few bad words a few times, i thought is was impossible, but after 1 hard day of training it took some getting use to, then after a full 4 days i was in the swing of things without problems :)..... it take's patience, the trick to it all is "Treat your Pedal as a lady around corner" use her gently on the corner's & push hard on the straight.... i only flaw it once im in Gear 3 so i don't spin.

It is more fun and i think you will be faster eventualy however thats not the issue really. The thing is it is more realistic and harder to race like this and hence races tend to me more on the edge of your seat. I find it more engrossing and at this moment im in season 2 with Lotus with ai mod on legend and am only doing 17 places ect. However should i really be doing far better than that in a lotus i think not.

From my own excperiences it depends on which tracks for some reason. It was very long time ago since I used Traction Control but I remember when I had it on I was much faster in Sao Paulo with it on and much slower in Kuala Lumpur with TC. I have no idea why it was such diffrence between 2 tracks.

IMHO, flooring the throttle, jamming the brake without having the need to consider wheelspin and wheellock takes away the fun of racing game.

That is from the experience i hate back when i was a kid playing daytona in the arcade. What i need to do is just floor the thottle without much worry.

Now that takes away the fun because surprisingly, during career mode with all assist off. You can feel the different on how your car is performing laps after laps. Fuel depleted making the car lighter thus giving you better time. But at the same time, car is light, throttle is more responsive thus giving you wheelspin. Tyre wears so braking has to be a little more conservative because wheellock much easier.

Now those are the aspect of what a racing game should have. Trying to mimic as real as it gets compared to the real thing.

Not all 24 drivers can take the first turn in Silverstone by flooring the throttle. :)

In my many years of experience with sim/games, i find that learning the hard way is very rewarding in the long run.

My real first exposure to simulator is Grand Prix Legends. Now, i recall doing thousands of laps on the first track before i can even stop my car from spinning for at least 5 laps. From there on, whatever racing game that i play i just turn all assist off without even looking at other option. And everything will click because you're so use to the "feel" on the response the car gave you when you throttle, brake or turn. You hands, legs and reaction will just react to it automatically.

Yes, it will be frustrating at first but do try to take off those assist 1 at a time to get a feel of it. Start off with ABS, follow by using manual transmission and proceed to disable the traction control. :)

The art of throttle/brake precision control. :D

Oh, of coz it doesn't give you the best track time or make you faster. But it will bring in more immersion.

But thats just me. Because i never ever care about putting my name on the leaderboard or something. I play these games just to get the racing thrill and tiny little detail that i can get out from the game that i purchase. Make it worth every penny.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your thoughts and advice. I think I might start giving it a go over time. I'm actually really loving the game with some of the assists on anyway, but maybe that's because I only just bought my first ever wheel on Monday :)

David O'Reilly - are you on the 360 by any chance? Although I've noticed that the majority of members on here are on the PC.

Yes I'm on Xbox. Using a Madcatz MC2 wheel (same as microcon i think.)
Doing Multiplayer series in the RD Xbox league. (FigjamRACER).
and yr 2/7 yr career in Lotus.
Check out Steve Stoops video series on Youtube (or thread on this site0 "F1 2010 Lets play career mode on Expert" its a greaty lerning resource for the game and huhely entertaining. The mans the virtual F1 Martin Brundle.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back