Why install so much RAM on X86?

I've been trying to understand why some people buy/install so much RAM in their X86 (XP & 7) pc's? Given that those two X86 operating systems only supports 4Gb. It is obviously more when you have the X64 versions which many just don't have. So what did I miss?

I have been working with PC's for quite some time and I can tell you from a professional standpoint that the x86 systems are not capable of addressing more than 4gig total memory, and that includes the video ram. If your system has a 1gig graphics card, then the available system ram is cut to 3gig. The more graphics memory you have, the less system ram you can use.

If you are planning on installing over 4gig total ram, then the only option is an x64 system otherwise you are wasting money.

X86 you can only use 3.5GB or should I say the OS will only recognise 3.5GB but in an X64 You can use what ever the OS allows example

• Vista Basic 64-bit: 8 GB
  • Vista Home Premium 64-bit: 16 GB
  • Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate 64-bit: 128+ GB
I use 8GB because I need that much or more for my video editing some people will need it for encryption decryption etc etc photo editing etc etc I use PhotoShop large images require large Ram etc etc...

Regards
Gaming since 1982

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back