Which one goes first?

Time to upgrade with ~3k US budget. The choices are
(a) Simucube Pro + Sim Lab Grid/Ascher F64 Wheels or
(b) Simucube Active Pedal.
Casual racing, primarily Miata Cup @ Laguna using AC. Not serious pushing for speed (been doing 1:38). Which option above shall I prioritize?

Yeah, what's your current wheel?

I can tell you though, that the active pedal makes the car feel ALIVE!
I could drive ACC with it for 15 minutes on the simracing expo last year and while you absolutely don't need it to get faster, the braking was soooooo intuitive, I was blown away.
You get this hydraulic, real life feeling, with the identical resistance curve and then the vibrations from the abs and little kicks of slip on kerbs.

However, if you have a T300 right now, a good DD wheel will definitely be the first priority!

Last edited:
For the "intuitive brake feel" you could also go the tactile route.
A good bassshaker with Simhub is about 90% as good as the Active Pedals ( Guesstimate!!) and only lacks the rapid change for feel settings(pressure and travel) by software.
But it would be DIY and needs some tinkering in the depth of Simhub to get there.
On the other hand you could get away with under 500€ if you keep it on the brake pedal.
(which you definitely won´t as tyre slip in feet and butt really adds to the FFB of the wheel.)

On the wheel and base front, have you excplicitly ruled out GSI wheels or just not considered them?

The only reason I bring it up is because GSI is an authorized Simucube reseller and their bundles with their wheels and Simucube bases do like they can potentially save a couple hundred dollars or so if you go with them.

For the "intuitive brake feel" you could also go the tactile route.
A good bassshaker with Simhub is about 90% as good as the Active Pedals ( Guesstimate!!) and only lacks the rapid change for feel settings(pressure and travel) by software.
But it would be DIY and needs some tinkering in the depth of Simhub to get there.
On the other hand you could get away with under 500€ if you keep it on the brake pedal.
(which you definitely won´t as tyre slip in feet and butt really adds to the FFB of the wheel.)
Ordered Sim3D 3 months ago and still wait for shipping. Curious about the Bassshaker. Will it improve a lot in additional to the Pedal shaker kit?

On the wheel and base front, have you excplicitly ruled out GSI wheels or just not considered them?

The only reason I bring it up is because GSI is an authorized Simucube reseller and their bundles with their wheels and Simucube bases do like they can potentially save a couple hundred dollars or so if you go with them.
GSI is on the short list too. Meanwhile, there is a slight personal preference toward the design of Ascher.

In my opinion you have two three distinct advantages when using bassshakers over rumble motors.
Bassshakers are instantanious, they don´t need "spinning up.
Bassshakers are scalable, they can "get louder" when the effect increases.
The right bassshaker actually has the power to move your foot together with the pedal.

For example, I use a Dayton Audio BST-2 on my brake pedal. It "humms" lightly when I´m braking "in the zone of optimal slip" it rattles when I overbrake into ABS or wheel lock.

That installation is rather crude compared to the sophisticated setups in the "tactile Feedback" thread, but it´s (Superfast Matt´s) "Certified Good Enough" for me.
There they are using a plethora of Shakers/Amps and sophisticated Simhub Profiles to make the rig vibrate like real racecars.

I detest computers and I´m still on the very surface of Simhubs possibilities.

That could go from one (on the brake pedal) to forty nine (all over pedals, seat, wheel base and shifter)

For usefull feedback four ( one on brake and accelerator two on the seat) are very good starting point.

There is a lot of information in this forum, get yourself a jerry can of coffee or a barrel of beer and start researching.

You don't want a formula style wheel for MX5 Cup. I use a 320mm round wheel and consistently lap 1:37s. I have a SC2.

If you're happy with the 8Nm of your Fanatec, I'd recommend you go for the active pedal brake.
If you really want to upgrade to SC2 (and your budget allows for it) see if you can get the active pedal brake with the SC2.

That could go from one (on the brake pedal) to forty nine (all over pedals, seat, wheel base and shifter)

For usefull feedback four ( one on brake and accelerator two on the seat) are very good starting point.

There is a lot of information in this forum, get yourself a jerry can of coffee or a barrel of beer and start researching.
Sounds like another research project that I can do for years to come.

You don't want a formula style wheel for MX5 Cup. I use a 320mm round wheel and consistently lap 1:37s. I have a SC2.

If you're happy with the 8Nm of your Fanatec, I'd recommend you go for the active pedal brake.
If you really want to upgrade to SC2 (and your budget allows for it) see if you can get the active pedal brake with the SC2.
I guess I will upgrade to SC2 first. At least, this product have survived the test of time and still at the top.
What round wheel do you recommend? GSI product, perhaps?

Sounds like another research project that I can do for years to come.
Exactly.

But way better price/performance ratio than Active Pedals.

I believe FOOT FB would give you more from a performance perspective than what the SC2 does better than the Fanatec, but you can´t go wrong with the Simucube. I´ve been using it for three years now.

For the wheel question, if you need buttons you´re fre to use Ascher or SRB button box and every which wheel you like. Both have a compability list on the website.

I myself drive MixerCup with a blank (no buttons/shifter) Fanatec R300 and a sequential shifter

I guess I will upgrade to SC2 first. At least, this product have survived the test of time and still at the top.
What round wheel do you recommend? GSI product, perhaps?
I use a Fanatec Clubsport 320mm rim with an Ascher Racing B24L-SC button plate.

I also have a 300mm rim, but I prefer the 320mm for the MX5 Cup. I find it easier to precisely flirt with the limit of grip with a larger diameter.

Current setup is fanatec DD 8nm with Heusinkveld Sprint set.
Just to chime in again, although not adding much now:
With that combination, the active brake pedal would be a nice addition for immersion, but vibration extras can go 75% of that upgrade too.
Going to a way stronger wheelbase will change your world of simracing though.

If you'd already have 12+ Nm, I would say get the brake pedal, but now with the little CSL DD.

Good luck on your journey, lots of great help and information about setting up your "Good Vibrations" setup :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back