Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

• Deleted member 197115

Why Podium wheel base is so huge, like 1/3 bigger than Small Mige or SC2 that also has electronics inside.

upload_2019-4-26_19-51-10.png

Upvote 0
Why Podium wheel base is so huge, like 1/3 bigger than Small Mige or SC2 that also has electronics inside.

I have a couple theories. First I scaled the drawings of the csw 2.5 and dd wheel bases and measured. The steering wheel mount appears to be the same height from where it bolts to your rig. So I should be able to unbolt my csw 2.5 and bolt a DD right in from the bottom without having to readjust my rig for wheel height. ( Edit: Very wrong here, the wheel base needs to drop about 1.5" and the wheel supports need to move back a good 2.5+" )

They also added 8mm side mounts and a display on top that needs to be visible. From there it isn't to hard to see them make a case design decision based on symmetry. It's a good aesthetic.

The simucube mounts from the front like mig servo motors have historically and require a front mounted bracket. The DD's mount from the bottom like most wheel bases do and they also mount from the side. The DD's are designed to be seen from the front.

They are very different in appearance and I'm sure that was intentional. Why would Fanatec want to look like the competition?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

View attachment 303202
In SC2 is just a motor and electronics mounted on the rear of the motor.
The motor of the Fanatec DD is in a box and there must be a gap between the motor and the box for the air to pass through for cooling in addition to that, plus the electronics there is also a fan. All this makes the wheel base bigger.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

In SC2 is just a motor and electronics mounted on the rear of the motor.
The motor of the Fanatec DD is in a box and there must be a gap between the motor and the box for the air to pass through for cooling in addition to that, plus the electronics there is also a fan. All this makes the wheel base bigger.
Yeah, forgot that Podium is active cooling with always on fan blowing inside, while SC2 is passive.
And Podium is using outrunner motor with SC2 inrunner same as Mige. That could affect size of the motor itself.
But damn, it's HUGE. :confused:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There was also Installation and Software video from Shaun

Upvote 0
FWIW I just did some additional measurements comparing the CSW 2.5 to the DD and it will require redoing all of my controls on my rig. The DD extends the steering wheel 2.5" towards you because of the tensioning knob and since most wheels are tilted up a bit it will raise the wheel a bit too.

I'll need to drop my wheel support bracket a bit, extend the controls forward from the wheel support structure 2.5", and move the whole wheel support structure back 2.5" to compensate. My rig currently has the seat positioned well over the central pivot of my NLRv3 so I don't want to just slide my seat back 2.5". I also have 6" available in front of my pedals right now and I don't want to move them back further.

I'll have to think about the 8020 changes to keep my handbrake and sequential shifter well in hand. So this won't just be a drop in and go situation. I think it will be a pretty easy, but it will require a bit of moving things around. As it is I have wheel bracket pretty far back into the side supports, so I could put an ~ 3" deeper 40x80 piece in front of the right support and slide the wheel bracket forward 3/4" to keep the same offset and slide the whole wheel support structure back 3".

FYI measurements are the following:
Fanatec DD drawings show 126mm from center of the front bolt hole to the front of the wheel spindle.
Measured off CSW 2.5 is 64mm
126-64 = 62mm or 2.44inches

The drawing below shows 121mm from the front of the spindle to the center of the side holes.
The other drawing Fanatec has shows a 35mm offset to the front bottom holes.
That totals 126mm. The area in the red box doesn't exist on the CSW 2.5.
Also the CSW 2.5 has the bolt hole 14mm from the front instead of 35mm.

leftdrawing.jpg

BTW this isn't a complaint, just something I noticed.
On my rig it will just be easier to get in and out off with the extra 3" of side clearance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW I just did some additional measurements comparing the CSW 2.5 to the DD and it will require redoing all of my controls on my rig. The DD extends the steering wheel 2.5" towards you because of the tensioning knob and since most wheels are tilted up a bit it will raise the wheel a bit too.

I'll need to drop my wheel support bracket a bit, extend the controls forward from the wheel support structure 2.5", and move the whole wheel support structure back 2.5" to compensate. My rig currently has the seat positioned well over the central pivot of my NLRv3 so I don't want to just slide my seat back 2.5". I also have 6" available in front of my pedals right now and I don't want to move them back further.

I'll have to think about the 8020 changes to keep my handbrake and sequential shifter well in hand. So this won't just be a drop in and go situation. I think it will be a pretty easy, but it will require a bit of moving things around. As it is I have wheel bracket pretty far back into the side supports, so I could put an ~ 3" deeper 40x80 piece in front of the right support and slide the wheel bracket forward 3/4" to keep the same offset and slide the whole wheel support structure back 3".

FYI measurements are the following:
Fanatec DD drawings show 126mm from center of the front bolt hole to the front of the wheel spindle.
Measured off CSW 2.5 is 64mm
126-64 = 62mm or 2.44inches

The drawing below shows 121mm from the front of the spindle to the center of the side holes.
The other drawing Fanatec has shows a 35mm offset to the front bottom holes.
That totals 126mm. The area in the red box doesn't exist on the CSW 2.5.
Also the CSW 2.5 has the bolt hole 14mm from the front instead of 35mm.

View attachment 303395

BTW this isn't a complaint, just something I noticed.
On my rig it will just be easier to get in and out off with the extra 3" of side clearance.
Do you know the dimensions of the entire unit? I've only been able to find the shipping box dimensions.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 440 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 273 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 292 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 129 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 172 27.3%
Back