Wheel stand: Any reason why this is more expensive?

http://www.gtomegaracing.com/purcha...p?route=product/product&path=25&product_id=28

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_u...id=88&osCsid=049592df4b3b45669fbcdee76bb61817

http://www.gamepod.co.uk/gt1.asp

Am I missing something here? Why is the gt Omega wheel stand, with adjustable pedal plate, cost a paltry $155 with shifter mount (100 GBP) vs the RennSport which costs essentially the same, but doesn't include a shifter mount, and doesn't have an adjustable pedal plate. Not to mention the Gamepod GT1 which is twice the price.

I'm VERY new and extremely naive about Simracing and its hardware, is there something I'm missing. Is Gamepod a fantastic company? Is there something in the product description for the Gamepod GT1 Pro (forget the standard) that I'm not seeing vs the GT Omega wheel stand? Both look the same, fold the same, and include an adjustable pedal area? Why is the GT Omega so cheap? Is it made of terrible components?

To give an analogy to PC users: is the GT Omega Wheel stand the same as a Diablotek PSU and the GT1 Pro is like the Seasonic PSU of wheel stands? Because if so, I could understand the price. I just can't wrap my head around why the second one is twice the price.

Anyways, thanks for having me guys. I'm new here, so please excuse my ignorance. Thank you for all the feedback!

Looking at the Gamepod and the GT Omega I can tell you that the Gamepod is made of heavier material. This "should" translate to being sturdier and able to last longer, but all depends on manufacturing process etc. It also looks like the Gamepod has a lot better height adjustment mechanism than the GT Omega.

The thing you are going to have to think about is do you want the Gamepod, which has a vertical riser right between your legs that might cause irritation during driving, or do you want the GT Omega which has nothing interfering with your legs.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply! I have never used either type, or any stand similar to this. I'm not sure, and again I apologize, but how would the center support bar be off issue while racing? I think I'll end up going with the GT Omega, for the price difference. They seem similar to me, and I'll be on either your average office chair or couch to race on. I just want that pedal angle adjustment system, I hear it is a real "buzzkill" for couch racers to have the pedals flat, vs using a cockpit. Hopefully this is a middle ground I can take so that I don't have to take up so much space in the living room (I commute, and pay rent, but still leave with my family for the time being).

Upvote 0
I haven't used the specific GTOmega unit you linked above but to me it looks like the same sort of materials and construction they use in their rigs which I have had some experience of. The Rigs the sell are top draw, Well made and well priced imo. Not perfect for sure. For instance I never liked the keyboard and mouse system they used on their rigs, That aside though the rest of the mounts for monitors, wheel, pedals are great as well as the seats.

Of the three you linked I think I'd write of the Fanatec first given having looked at them. The Gamepod though seems to throw an interesting curveball into the equation. In principal it seems like a nice idea and as modular as many full rigs. How that ultimately translates into usability is hard to say without trying. The vertical bar between the legs would put it out of the window for me but it's not something everyone has an issue with.

If you want more info on GT Omega Stuff drop a message to Brian Clancy. He's got some of their gear he will tell you about. I'd love to hear from someone who has the Gamepod though for comparison.

Upvote 0
Think about this: The vertical bar is going to be between your legs, you are going to be constantly moving your legs and feet while driving. If you are like most people, your legs are going to be fairly close together during your driving. This all translates to potential for raw legs at the very least from constant rubbing against the vertical bar. If there are any flaws or bolts in that area, then this will make it even worse.

I admit that some folks don't have issue with this design, but from what I can figure, they must drive with their legs apart a bit and use the edge of their feet for the pedals. BTW, if you have to use a clutch as well as the brake then you will probably notice this more.

Upvote 0
Buy Wheel Stand Pro and depends on which wheel you have, right model. Then good chair, for example your favourite sofa under your back and you don't need anything else. Good cockpit and wheelstand combination is hard to find. I think it is almost endless crusade without adventure. Driving comfortable is thing we try to achieve but why to spend so much money. Wheel Stand Pro is much cheaper investment than any other system I think. If you're Mr. DIY man, we haven't this question hehe.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back