Whats the best resolution for Race 07?

I have a 1680 x 1050 22" monitor, If I configure race at that resolution the cars don't look right, I tried 1280 x 1050 and they are too "stretched out" they look too scruntched. what resolution was it meant to be viewed in? Would it be different for each sized Monitor?

However, because you have a 16x10 monitor you will need to see vertical black bars for the 4x3, because you are losing 280 pixels there, and horizontal black bars for the 16x9, because you are losing 105 pixels there, to see the true aspect ratio. Otherwise Windows is re-scaling the image and you are seeing something else.

The black bars only show up on TV's Steve :), on the lcd built for external monitor use it just stretches or shrinks the image. This is why one gets different results when changing resolutions. It isn't really a big deal I was really just curious what display ratio it was intended to be viewed in, to make the cars look most real.
Thanks again to all who have replied.

Here are a few screenies from my monitor.
All using 1680 by 1050

Wooh, the old RMR skin is still in your skinpack Warren, is that what you see when you race against me? Somehow the old and new one both got in the release, but Yves said it wouldn't matter. :D

To really see the difference, go to race07 config in the steam profile folder, you can change the resolutions there and see in game the difference, I suppose what one gets used to always will look the best.

Yep William, your Seat was the brown one on my screen at Brno. I just checked my Game and noticed that your name was in the selection menu twice, but no matter which one I chose, it came up in game as the brown one.
So I deleted that one from my Custom Skins folder, and now I see the blue one. :thumb:
I'm pretty sure I have the final skin pack too.

They look pretty close, but you're sitting right in front. :)

As to the black bars, maybe it was when I was using an ATI card but the tv functions just like a monitor in that mode. Are you using an Nvidia card?

When I was having frame rate problems I tried changing the resolution from 1920x1080(1080p) to 1280x720(720p) and it would display with black bars. The ATI control panel would allow me to adjust the scaling.

Right now I'm using a Dell laptop that is 1440x900 (16x10) and I can change the resolution to 1280x720 (16x9) or 1024x768 (4x3) by using the Nvidia Control Panel. It will display the correct aspect ratio with black bars. Not sure I would like to game like this, but at least then you can run Race with different known correct aspect ratios as a reference standard for comparison.

I have an Nvidia card, but I was changing the resolution with the Race 07 config tool. This way it would run normal resolution until I start up race 07 and then it would swtich. Never tried it with the Nvidia tool. Anyway it doesn't show up that well in the screenshots, maybe because I have to size them down for posting, but it is noticeable in game. Mostly I was wondering if Simbin had a certain resolution in mind when they designed the game. I'll just pick the one I like best - thanks. :biggrin:

I think it's an interesting question because it could make a difference if they did their development aimed towards a specfic resolution or aspect ratio. Wouldn't think simbin would do that though because they need to support all kinds of formats, and as I recall, there are graphic formats that support resizing without problems.

I think it's an interesting question because it could make a difference if they did their development aimed towards a specfic resolution or aspect ratio. Wouldn't think simbin would do that though because they need to support all kinds of formats, and as I recall, there are graphic formats that support resizing without problems.

That's why I use the rule of thumb that says whatever my native monitor uses, I set my Windows resolutions to that, and then select the same resolution in the Race 07 config section. I figured that they have at least designed the game that way.
This may be too simplistic, but if it looks ok to me that way, I am happy. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. :angel:

That's why I use the rule of thumb that says whatever my native monitor uses, I set my Windows resolutions to that, and then select the same resolution in the Race 07 config section. I figured that they have at least designed the game that way.
This may be too simplistic, but if it looks ok to me that way, I am happy. Perhaps ignorance is bliss. :angel:

I'll second that rule of thumb... :thumb:

It looks fine to me on 1680x1050 William :)

I have the same resolution and couldn't be happier with the look. If you see the Seat in real it is quite a high car, so this would explain what you are seeing. It's certainly the most natural look of the screens you have posted.

But as others have said, always use the native resolution in your operating system aswell as in games for the best visual quality. Unfortunately it's one of the drawbacks of tft monitors :(

It looks fine to me on 1680x1050 William :)

I have the same resolution and couldn't be happier with the look. If you see the Seat in real it is quite a high and slim car, so this would explain what you are seeing. It's certainly the most natural look of the screens you have posted.

But as others have said, always use the native resolution in your operating system aswell as in games for the best visual quality. Unfortunately it's one of the drawbacks of tft monitors :(

Scaling is adjustable, depending on your particular model, in either your monitor's OSD or in your video card's driver config panel somewhere, usually. Also, if your monitor is incorrectly scaling (i.e. stretching) the image then a screenshot won't show that up as the problem is after the frame leaves the video card. The general rule of thumb is to stick to the native resolution at all times.

Hmm, It just makes all of the cars look really narrow in the 1680x1050 mode. I think that part of the problem is since I bought the game it hasn't been on the 1680x1050 and I hadn't really thought about it. Then after my DSL problems I had to reconfig steam and it asked for the resolution. I put in the native one and started playing and was like, wow those cars look narrow. So it could be that I am just not used to it, could someone fly over here and check it out on my screen? that would be easiest. :D

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 113 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 36.7%