Whats happened to all the racing?

Seems like No one wants a good race theses days?
Mark I'm testing the FR FR 3.5 (Figjam Racing Formula Renault 3.5) at Fuji. Trying to get one of my bespoke highly engineered Motec verified setups to go as fast as the default setup:notworthy:. Discovering the torque curve of a Nissan sourced 3.4 litre is different to an F1 engine.

I hope you have a drive mate its a great car. Reminds me a bit of the GP2 from RF1 which I know you were quite handy in. Then we have a whole season ahead of us.

edit, so I'm in group A above.

Mark I'm testing the FR FR 3.5 (Figjam Racing Formula Renault 3.5) at Fuji. Trying to get one of my bespoke highly engineered Motec verified setups to go as fast as the default setup:notworthy:. Discovering the torque curve of a Nissan sourced 3.4 litre is different to an F1 engine.

I hope you have a drive mate its a great car. Reminds me a bit of the GP2 from RF1 which I know you were quite handy in. Then we have a whole season ahead of us.

edit, so I'm in group A above.
Yes i have a drive mate, Im testing for 3.5 too. I had a mobo failure so had to get it replaced. The 3.5 are great fun a little testing but i'm finding good pace. Similiar weight and bhp to f1, very good throttle needed. Look forward to seeing you on server mate.

Just making a Lola B12/60 (Rebellion Racing)...no time to race... :D
Does that mean we will get some prototypes in next years VWEC. Hope the Vette stays in. I never liked it before, but with tweaked FFB settings and a good setup she is just charming.

I have to say VWEC this season was the most fun I had in rF2 so far. If you have more sprint race type races (up to 1 F1 GP distance). You have still to do a lot of setup work and then it is all over in 30 to 90min, but in an 8+hour race you spent so much mote time in the car, that is great, because you have a lot of time to show the pace you worked so hard to achieve in all the weeks before.

I hope we get an even bigger season in 2014 with a bit more advertising and more 6 to 8 hour races we should get a big field.

I did some public racing last week, but that and club races are not able to replace thr buzz I got from VWEC2013.

Prototypes...for next seasons..... We haven't discussed these yet.

The LOLA I am making is in an very early stage. I don't have any timeline/or deadline when it's done...it's done...
Here an triple alpha shot...
lola_b12-60_alpha5_zps694aa84b.jpg

Yep, endurance races are ace and we surely will have many more vwec sesaons. :)

its either because:

A, they are just testing
or
B, its Christmas for most people at this time

so basically less people are racing at this moment in time

I'm pretty sure the post wasn't about just right now, but also included the last couple of months, since it's the same problem for a long time now.

rf2 playerbase is small with many guys writing negative stuff about it on the web, which unfortunatly quite some people seem to be influenced by that.
And also it seems that the idea of a racing club seems to get forgotten over time.
I can't count the times anymore that I read that the only thing you can apparently do outside of iRacing is either league-racing or public crashfests and nothing else...

In addition to what @Dino Paolini wrote: we are really understaffed when it comes to club racing so a couple of very committed club organizers are more than welcome.

Technique, servers, content its all there but we need that little bit of human power to put the rFactor 2 club wheel into motion :)

@David O'Reilly ??
You did the f1 league proud?
I can have a look at it in the New Year. Maybe come up with a concept or two and see if they capture some following.
EG:
"Open Wheeler Club Festival." One track (upcoming World Series by Renault track). Various open wheelers over a fortnight with Club races at set days. IE Wed Night Skippy, Thurs night. F2. Friday Night, FR 3.5, Sunday Night F1. Say 45 mins race.
"Endurance Club" 2-4 hour race. say a Sunday afternoon. GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4. Classic Endurance tracks: Spa, Monza and upcoming VWEC Tracks.

Club Atmosphere. New drivers given setups.
Youtube Videos to promote it.

I can have a look at it in the New Year. Maybe come up with a concept or two and see if they capture some following.
EG:
"Open Wheeler Club Festival." One track (upcoming World Series by Renault track). Various open wheelers over a fortnight with Club races at set days. IE Wed Night Skippy, Thurs night. F2. Friday Night, FR 3.5, Sunday Night F1. Say 45 mins race.
"Endurance Club" 2-4 hour race. say a Sunday afternoon. GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4. Classic Endurance tracks: Spa, Monza and upcoming VWEC Tracks.

Club Atmosphere. New drivers given setups.
Youtube Videos to promote it.
Sounds like heaven mate, Really recommend you have a go. I'd help with whats needed. But you would have to show me some ropes :thumbsup:

Sounds like heaven mate, Really recommend you have a go. I'd help with whats needed. But you would have to show me some ropes :thumbsup:
I really like the idea of learning a track in a progression of slow to fast cars and having some side duels like "you might have beaten me in the Skippy but I am lethal in the F2, or I have perfected my setup in the F1 and will even the score"

sounds great, my personal experience within the league set up is at the moment the learning class ie slower cars with people trying to be the best as they can (mistakes happen) but you have drivers far above the drivers attempting to learn. I dont understand why they continue within the class rather than step up. Scrap that.... i do as they feed there egos then moan because they forget where they first learnt and are still racing in it. great concept I hope it works.
none of us want smashers or bashers at all.

sounds great, my personal experience within the league set up is at the moment the learning class ie slower cars with people trying to be the best as they can (mistakes happen) but you have drivers far above the drivers attempting to learn. I dont understand why they continue within the class rather than step up. Scrap that.... i do as they feed there egos then moan because they forget where they first learnt and are still racing in it. great concept I hope it works.
none of us want smashers or bashers at all.
I have to say in case of the VWEC it is a matter of taste. I think we have top class drivers in every class from GT4 to GT1 and you could argue, that some faster GT2 or GT4 drivers should step up to GT1, but that is not correct.
Personally I do my racing, because I love it and there are some really quick guys who really love their GT4s and I love my GT2s. When I would step up to GT1 I would have less fun, would be less driven and maybe I wouldn't be as good, because I wouldnt have the commitment.

The only true option would be like in LeMans or the real WEC or like in GT series, that you have pro and amateur classes, but for that the field is too small.

In simracing I would say it is diffrent. I love to win, but I enjoy a good race and a fair battle much more. If you just take off into the distance it is nice, but when you have a real battle for several hours it is much more enjoyable even if you end up 2nd or 3rd.

At the end it is called simracing and not simwinning and if a team wins all races 3 laps ahead of everyone they will look out for a new challange.

Something that might be an option is some kind of "mentoring" program.
We have as every team faster and "slower" drivers and we always help each other out and even a fast driver can learb from a slower one.

So some of the faster teams could help out some of the new teams. You dont have to share setups for that, but just giving tipps like where to brake, which line to take, which corner our setup should be able to handle flat out. All these things can help new drivers or teams to find at least 1 or 2 seconds in pace.

That was a long post, but in the end it is like in F1 you cant critizise RBR and Vettel for doing a good job, but you can help the other teams to raise their game.

Frederic
I think there are some very usable ideas in there.
In RD F1 2011 season we created teams after qualifying that paired the P1 with P16 P2 with P15, P3 with P14 etc. So a #1 and #2 driver. Your mentoring idea could give this more depth.
I agree with your points on drivers skills in each chassis. There are superb drivers in every class.
Maybe we have a compulsory chassis swap event? Just for the learning curve and entertainment.

One thing that was great in F1 2011 league was a Pro Am event where we handicapped the fastest guys with slower cars and starting position ( ie 20 sec gap). Made for great overtaking. In RF2 the cars in class are all equal but we could easily create a staggered start once we know who is the quickest.

In my view the club atmosphere needs to be very accessible, welcoming, supportive but also professional and some quick guys.
Some kind of ranking that can be aspirational but not too scary would be nice.

I believe that with the diversity of cars and the flexibilty of the sim we can come up with some fun stuff. Any ideas as to structure and shape that would facilitate these things is welcome.

Let me put it this way @Frederic Schornstein and @David O'Reilly
If you can come up with some "teachers", guys who have some skills and are willing and able to learn others, explain things in a good way, and are able to coach a group of 4 people perhaps, then I will help you with setting up a RDFDS series of events. (RaceDepartment Friendly Development Series, something we did with Race 07).

The more teachers, the better, as I suspect that with the right promotion, this could be a very popular thing, where many want to be able to learn a bit....

Let me put it this way @Frederic Schornstein and @David O'Reilly
If you can come up with some "teachers", guys who have some skills and are willing and able to learn others, explain things in a good way, and are able to coach a group of 4 people perhaps, then I will help you with setting up a RDFDS series of events. (RaceDepartment Friendly Development Series, something we did with Race 07).

The more teachers, the better, as I suspect that with the right promotion, this could be a very popular thing, where many want to be able to learn a bit....
Sounds like a great idea. Sometimes I have the feeling on public servers people worry way too much about their setup than their driving.
It would be a good way to get people interested and you could introduce e.g. fixed setups for the first few events, so people are forced to focus soley on their driving and at the same time are not scared away with all the setup possibilities.

I would be intersted in taking one of the teacher places. I usually can quickly find places where people loose time.
@Andrew Ford can tell you, if I am able or not to explain it in an understandable way.

It would be nice to get teachers from several countries as for a lot of people these things are much easier to explain and undersrand in their mother language and I guess for a lot of drivers it would be welcome to get some support in their mother language.

Sounds like a great idea. Sometimes I have the feeling on public servers people worry way too much about their setup than their driving.
It would be a good way to get people interested and you could introduce e.g. fixed setups for the first few events, so people are forced to focus soley on their driving and at the same time are not scared away with all the setup possibilities.

I would be intersted in taking one of the teacher places. I usually can quickly find places where people loose time.
@Andrew Ford can tell you, if I am able or not to explain it in an understandable way.

It would be nice to get teachers from several countries as for a lot of people these things are much easier to explain and undersrand in their mother language and I guess for a lot of drivers it would be welcome to get some support in their mother language.
You would be great Frederic ! You could teach vettel words other than NEVERTHELESS. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back