What steering ratio do you use?

Steering rotation and lock - yet another variable thats been confusing my poor brain along with the car setup variables....

A couple of weeks ago I saw a post about reducing the centering spring in Logitech Profiler - I was running it at 75%, but had not taken much notice since I thought that ticking the 'allow game to adjust settings' would take care of it. However when I reduced this way down to like 5% suddenly I found more 'feel' for the road and more control as I was no longer fighting a spring that wanted to pull the wheel back to centre - this brought my wheel back to life and meant I could turn 900 degrees of rotation back on, and actually use it...

but I was using 15 degrees of lock.. - now I know many use variable lock depending on the car/track combo and that setup advice often says, choose lock thats appropriate to the tightest bend on the track - however, I find this just adds to the confusion and learning curve. Think about it like this - If you set lock at 15 degrees for one track then at the next 20 degrees - what your actually doing is altering the steering ratio (or how far you have to move the steering wheel for a given amount of turn of the front wheels) - and thats gonna confuse your brain imagine you REAL car if you got in it one day and the amount you had to move the steering wheel to turn the corner out of your road had changed - instead of turning the wheel 1/2 a turn left to make the corner you now had to turn it 3/4 of a turn.. Think you would get to your destination? Would your brain be confused and disorientated?

Anyway this thread got me thinking and I decided to go for the OP and Jarrods' steering ration of 15:1 (for every 15 degrees you turn the steering wheel you wheels turn by 1 degree), which meant (with my 900 degrees of rotation) that I needed a steering lock of 30. (900/2/15 = 30).

Now its early days, as I only did this yesterday but first impressions are -
1) Applying a consistent steering ratio - is more important that the rotation and lock because it means you have consistent steering.
2) Turning the centering spring down or off in Logitech Profiler means you can feel the full FFB, as it was meant, because its not working against the centering spring.
3) Having the larger lock doesn't mean I have to use it, just that I have more opposite lock available for my frequent 'unplanned excusion corrections'.
4) because I am using 900 degrees I now have more sensitivity in not only my steering but also in FFB - if I went over a kerb with 200 degrees of Wheel Rotation the ffb would feel like a quick vibrating rumble - with 900 (and that dumb centering spring down) ffb over kerbs now has a definitive knock, knock, knock as I go over each raised lump and the bumps from it are transferred through my wheel. (Don't know if I've explained what i mean here properly)
5) This wheel setup seems to work for me - I'm not necessarily going to be faster, but I don't race to be fastest I race for the feeling and immersion, although having a consistent steering ratio will help improve my lap times I am sure.
6) 15:1 steering ratio examples would be Rotation/Lock - 900/30 - 400/13.3 - 540/18 - 600/20 - 390/13 - 450/15 - 270/9 - 360/12 = All of these setting will mean you turn the steering wheel the same amount for a certain amount of lock on the front wheels - obviously the 900/30 degree lock one will mean that you can carry on steering another 21 degrees after the 270/9 has reached its limit.

Sorry for the long post - It started out with the intention of, hopefully, helping a few others avoid the months and months of headscratching and confusion that I've had trying to get setups working - If it does that for one person out there then GREAT, although I do fear I may well just be adding to the confusion with all these numbers..

Update - the consistency of steering ratio helps, but I feel 15:1 with 900 degrees ie. 30 degrees of lock is too high, I am experimenting with lower lock figures - been down as low as 13 degrees in the last few days - I am still confused but know now not to vary the lock figure too much as it messes you up totally. eg, went from 33 to 15 in FBMW's and simply confused the coordination of my eyes, hands and brain... trouble is once you confuse your senses this much it take a while to get re-coordinated!!

I started to experiment with this after reading in an article, that "some people make the mistake to use 15° of steering lock with 240° of rotation, making their steering too nervous", LOL I said, I used 15° with 200° of rotation before:) So I've tried different steering ratios on different cars, and man, what a difference! My wheel actually feels like a wheel now!:D But of course I have to stay at lower steering ratios, as my 200° rotation can cause problems otherwise in sharp corners. 10:1 was fine for Monaco yesterday, I've read somewhere that the original steering ratio of the F3000/FBMW is 12:1 which is fine for me, 13,5:1 for the WTCC cars (14:1 for the BMW), they also felt great with those settings. Also managed to find out that GT cars use larger, but that's a category now where my steering wheel rotation becomes too small, so I think I should stay below 14:1.

To put it simple
200° @ 7-10
:)

I'm now running the Formula Master cars with 900 degree to 33 steering lock (this is a 13.6 ratio - would really like to know the real life ratio) and it drives great. But in a hairpin corner you have to do some work :D

It is really difficult to find some informations in the net about the steering ratios of cars. Did a lot of googling but did not dig up a lot of infos. 13:1 for formula cars I read somewhere.

900 degrees is surely too much for formula cars, I'm just to lazy to change it in the logitech profiler. For the Touring cars 900 degrees is realistic as far as I know.

Just got a Logitech G27 tonight (Friday night - 8/20/2010)!
- upgrading from a Logitech MOMO.

I have been trying to dial it in for an hour already & would LOVE some help!
- there are a LOT of options before you go into the game...

Do I start in Windows Control Panel > Properties > Settings - OR - Logitech Profiler?

I posted a few images here & plan to update this as instructions for my friends.

Can you guys help me out a little - please?
http://videogameracing.com/custom-pages/g27/index.html

I am trying to get some of my buddies started out - now that the G27 is down to $200.

Changed back to default. True my 200 degree wheel feels more realistic when I set steering lock to 7,5 in touring cars f.e., but I'm simply slower with that setting as it gives me a huge disadvantage in sharp corners. So I'm back to the very responsive 200/15 (so 6,66:1) steering ratio. Anyways it's only a game:)

Troy, I change my settings through the first option you provided. Control Panel>Game Controllers>Properties>Settings, and adjust the rotation from there, then start up the game and adjust the lock in the setup menu...

I don't know where to change mine, I have Windows 7 so my layout is way different. I want to see if changing it from default to something else will give me any speed advantage, or just a tyre saving advantage!

I don't know where to change mine, I have Windows 7 so my layout is way different. I want to see if changing it from default to something else will give me any speed advantage, or just a tyre saving advantage!

I have XP, but I searched & found this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-preferred-game-controller

1 - Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, then clicking Devices and Printers.

2 - Right-click the game controller, then click Game controller settings.

3 - In the list of controllers, click the one you want, then click Advanced.

PS - I don't know if the same options exist... but take a look!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back