What shifter should I buy?

I tried to find a thread on shifters, but didn't find any, so here's one:

I'd like to get a device that can be configured both as H-shifter and sequential, the fanatec one costs quite a lot, is it so much superior to the thrustmaster one? Are they good when used as sequentials?

I also tried to look at some more niche producers, but I only found sequential-only shifters that often cost as much as the Fanatec or more.

I may also get some low-cost H-pattern AND a low-cost sequential if it might be better, but right now i'm not even sure I'd spend the required 260€ for the Fanatec one because I have other simracing-related thing i want to get with higher priority and on which I feel more like spending a bit more for quality (I need to get a rig for my simucube2 sport and want to get rid of my fanatec V3 pedals for something more high-end).

Can anyone share some opinions on the shifters he tried to help me make a good decision?

If you are looking to keep costs down, perhaps take a look at the SHH NEWT
I have one and I have been very happy with it so far, although I should point out that I don't have anything else to really compare it to. It's got a nice tactile feel when shifting and switching between sequential and H pattern is so easy I can do it without taking my VR headset off. I did get the sequential top plate, but have never found the need to use it.

I have used thrustmaster and Logitech in the past. I bought the $100 Amazon 6 speed shifter and LOVE IT. It's really good and switches modes with a plastic bit that slides onto the shaft. I feel like it has the best engagement of the 3 I've tried for sure. It even has a toggle switch you can map to a control

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220511-145649.png
    Screenshot_20220511-145649.png
    941.4 KB · Views: 73
I have used thrustmaster and Logitech in the past. I bought the $100 Amazon 6 speed shifter and LOVE IT. It's really good and switches modes with a plastic bit that slides onto the shaft. I feel like it has the best engagement of the 3 I've tried for sure. It even has a toggle switch you can map to a control
I didn't know Amazon did their own!

I already looked at the one on amazon, but the reviews didn't make it look reliable.
The SHH looks really nice! Will try to look for some reviews, but looks like I may get it.

I have one and I have been very happy with it so far, although I should point out that I don't have anything else to really compare it to. It's got a nice tactile feel when shifting and switching between sequential and H pattern is so easy I can do it without taking my VR headset off. I did get the sequential top plate, but have never found the need to use it.

How does it feel in sequential mode? Can you be a bit "violent" when inserting gear and still get some "feetback" when the gear kicks in?

[https://www.racedepartment.com/news/the-lost-art-of-using-an-h-shifter.557/?page=2#comments

This thread is all about H shifters.

I find the sequential shifting on the SHH to be quite a bit harsher than the H patteren in that it feels a bit like you to go over a bit of a cam to engage a gear. You need to use a bit of force, more than the H gate. That Chinese shifter is actually really robust, it is also really loud. One of our club racers uses it and says it's great.
shh-x2-jpg.558038

Last edited:
I tried to find a thread on shifters, but didn't find any, so here's one:

I'd like to get a device that can be configured both as H-shifter and sequential, the fanatec one costs quite a lot, is it so much superior to the thrustmaster one? Are they good when used as sequentials?

I also tried to look at some more niche producers, but I only found sequential-only shifters that often cost as much as the Fanatec or more.

I may also get some low-cost H-pattern AND a low-cost sequential if it might be better, but right now i'm not even sure I'd spend the required 260€ for the Fanatec one because I have other simracing-related thing i want to get with higher priority and on which I feel more like spending a bit more for quality (I need to get a rig for my simucube2 sport and want to get rid of my fanatec V3 pedals for something more high-end).

Can anyone share some opinions on the shifters he tried to help me make a good decision?
Let aside the super expensive h-shifter options, i am pretty happy with the feel and function of the Fanatec h-shifter.

I did not like the sequential part of it to a degree, that i did not care to use it anymore. For me, the shifting just did not feel fun, stiff, undefined etc. The mileage for others may vary.

That is why I recently bought a HE sequential which i in comparison like a lot and enjoy using.

I tecided to buy the SHH shifter because it really seems the best on price/performance, and it employs hall sensors instead of the switches of the chinese alternative.
Might still get a dedicated sequential shifter later on.

Last edited:
If you haven't fully committed, check out the VNM shifter. It converts between H and sequential (but not super quick, have 4 screws) and has solid build quality. The H pattern tension can be adjusted too and imho feels great. Added a new and immersive quality to my rig. I bought mine from a US distributor.

If you haven't fully committed, check out the VNM shifter. It converts between H and sequential (but not super quick, have 4 screws) and has solid build quality. The H pattern tension can be adjusted too and imho feels great. Added a new and immersive quality to my rig. I bought mine from a US distributor.

Looks nice, but a bit costly compared to how much i'm willing to spend.
H pattern for me was just a "nice to have" for games like BeamNG, otherwise I mostly use paddles.
I also wanted the sequential for drifting and rally, and on that I might spend a bit more later to get a dedicated one.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.