What monitor do i buy?

So I am looking to get a new monitor to attach to my new PC as part of a 2 screen set up, my current screen is a 4k 60hz monitor that will be the 2nd screen that i run my consoles through.

So I am looking for a new (cheapish...sub £250) screen for my non-driving, main PC game play but I am not sure exactly what i want...I have my new PC with its 2080 TI so what do i go for for both driving and other games like FPS and 3rd person games:

1) 1080p with 144Hz refresh rate

2) 1440p with 60-75Hz refresh rate (or 144hz for over £300)

3) 4k with 60Hz refresh rate.

Please bear in mind that I am an old fart and my eyes and reflexes are shot to poop ;)

Edit: Oh and do i want HDR?

Option 1, clearly. Especially with a 2080ti card like yours. Personally I'd go for at 1440p with at least 144hz, 1ms response time and TN panel. Preferably also something that can be adjusted in both height and tilt. Basically a high(ish) end gaming panel designed for past pace action like fps and racing games. Mind you, this solution is for gaming.
For desktop work and general use/browsing, I'd go IPS, not TN. IPS has better and crisper colors. But whatever you do, please dont go too cheap, it'd be such a waste with a super highend card like the 2080ti.

Upvote 0
So I am looking to get a new monitor to attach to my new PC as part of a 2 screen set up, my current screen is a 4k 60hz monitor that will be the 2nd screen that i run my consoles through.

So I am looking for a new (cheapish...sub £250) screen for my non-driving, main PC game play but I am not sure exactly what i want...I have my new PC with its 2080 TI so what do i go for for both driving and other games like FPS and 3rd person games:

Please bear in mind that I am an old fart and my eyes and reflexes are shot to poop ;)

I have a 27" 4K monitor and a 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 100hz, and they work great side by side. They are almost the exact same height. I too am older, and admit I have the scale for 4K at 175%, but my ultrawide at 100%. I personally would go for a VA or IPS for the visual quality. FPS, 3rd person, driving, etc. as so nice on an ultrawide. The issue may be your price point. Good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
I am old as well.

I would go IPS or VA panel, not TN.

The TFT monitor site is excellent for information. (https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/)

Now, I have an Acer Predator 27", IPS, 2560x1440, 165Hz, model # XB271HU. Have had it since May of 2016, and it is still VERY highly regarded as a high-quality gaming monitor.

However, I'm considering getting a bigger monitor, either a 38" ultra-wide or a 34" ultra-wide. IMO, and right now, these two monitors are considered by many sites to be the best gaming monitors in each size. Here they are.....

* 38" The LG 38" '38GL950G' ( https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-38gn950-now-available-to-pre-order-full-information-included/ ) Not a full review, just an overview...
You Tube review...
And......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArStK7XN-fc

* 34" The LG 34" '34GK950F' ( https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm) Full review.
And....

There are others... Acer Pred X38, Dell (Alienware AW3420DW), and Agon AG353UCG...
Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whatever you end up getting, I would recommend it is Freesync capable. Both NVidia and AMD support it these days. Typically doesn't add much if anything to the cost these days.

Upvote 0
Oops... I didn't notice in your initial post your budget of "sub £250". The above monitors I listed are way over that price. You spent big money on the video card however, so get a monitor that your video card deserves!! :)

Upvote 0

I recently bought 3 S3220DGF Dell displays. They were $360 each. 32", 165hz, freesync2 , curved, 1440.

I think they are very good value.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back