What is the best VR headset for AC, AMS2, PC2 or Iracing

I looking at making the step to Vr for my sim rig. I got an i7-9700k CPU and a gtx 1660 GPU so I know I can handle most headsets. What is best for long sessions and the best viewing? I have been looking at the valve index, Rifts S, and the Quest. can any one help?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the GTX 1660 is woefully underpowered for VR sim racing. It may meet the minimum stated specifications of VR, but that is meaningless for anything but very basic VR titles. Driving games in VR are the most demanding titles there are. A GTX 2060 or 2070 will provide a passable VR sim racing experience with balanced visual settings. But really a GTX 1080ti or 2080 is needed for a decent time.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the GTX 1660 is woefully underpowered for VR sim racing. It may meet the minimum stated specifications of VR, but that is meaningless for anything but very basic VR titles. Driving games in VR are the most demanding titles there are. A GTX 2060 or 2070 will provide a passable VR sim racing experience with balanced visual settings. But really a GTX 1080ti or 2080 is needed for a decent time.
Yeah a 1660 be on it’s knees trying to get any quality from it, I have the 9700k that’s ok

Upvote 0
Will second this - your GPU will struggle with higher end HMDs. You may be able to get a passable experience using lowish settings on a headset with lower resolution and refresh rate like the Rift S maybe but you will have issues trying to run anything with a higher resolution and refresh rate. My own experience is 9900k and 2080Ti with a Valve Index and I wish I had more processing power.

Upvote 0
I looking at making the step to Vr for my sim rig. I got an i7-9700k CPU and a gtx 1660 GPU so I know I can handle most headsets. What is best for long sessions and the best viewing? I have been looking at the valve index, Rifts S, and the Quest. can any one help?

The Rift S has the lowest GPU requirement since it only runs 80fps and has slightly less resolution than the Index. It also seems to have efficient drivers and very good reprojection ( frequency doubling when your card can't keep up )

However even with graphics settings set low your video card won't cut it and you won't enjoy the result. Stuttering in VR is a great way to get nausea.

I wouldn't even bother without a least 2070 Super or a used 1080. However I had a 1080Ti and I ran into boarderline situations with it.

I'm using a 2080Ti with my Valve Index and I'm very happy with how it all works, but last summer when Dirt Rally 2.0 was released in VR even my 2080Ti was struggling initially. I had to works with the graphics settings to get reasonable performance at 90fps. Fortunately the drivers or DR2 have improved the efficiency quite a bit. I accidentally ran it at 120 fps recently and it did well. Then I maxed all the graphics settings at 90fps and it did well. So things are getting a bit better.

Even with a 2080Ti some titles like ACC are VERY challenging. DR 2.0 is better now. iRacing is probably the most efficient sim for VR use. PC2 does well.

Upvote 0
Pardon me to ask

Which is the most comfortable and cause least motion sickness VR ?

Anyone 40+ years old try VR and still okie with it

I'm 53.
Without motion Dirt Rally can cause nausea. It took me 5 days of 20-30 min a day to get over it.

Having a fast enough computer to keep your headset from lagging or stuttering makes more of a difference than the headset you pick.

With motion most people who come to visit have no issues. about 1 in 10 has issues even with motion.

I don't think it is an age thing. People seem to have a predisposition. My wife gets nausea if I'm driving through the mountains. If you are at that end of the spectrum you may have problems not matter what.

Upvote 0
I'll agree with the statements above....you will need a top of the line GPU if you are playing any games in VR other than iracing.

I have i5 9600kf and a 1660 ti Lenovo explorer 1440x1440 for iracing running high settings and 140%SS on every track with ease @90 fps minus Barcelona....which every systems struggles with on certain points of the track.
Every other race sim I've tried in VR is a wreck and needs super components to run nicely.

Upvote 0
Pardon me to ask

I'm the top side of 55 and got a HP Reverb 2 months ago, no motion sickness apart from crashes involving rolling. Everyone is different I'm afraid it's a case of try it and see, if you use Amazon it can go back if it makes you sick....

Upvote 0
And in answer to the OP, I have a 2070 super, it runs the reverb at 90fps in iRacing 90% of the time in races, Assetto Corsa is pretty good as well, Rfactor 2 struggles apart from hot lapping, ACC is dreadful (stutter city) Pcars 2 and AMS2 are good in hot laps and ok when racing. I can't run full graphics on any of them but iRacing is the best optimised by a fair bit.

Upvote 0
Offtrack, comment to the VR nausea.

Getting nauseated with VR and deciding to return it and give up is the wrong action. Everyone can experience VR nausea under the right circumstances. Even after I got very used to VR in games where you use a controller, went away for six months, came back, and got nauseated (a little, not as bad as first time). But I knew this was temporary, never play more than an hour or quit if get nausea, come back, do again. Your body will get acclimated. Your brain will finally figure out how to immerse and accept the motion your eyes witness but your body does not, which triggers the nausea.

For Sim Racing, I never got nausea (even before motion), because it felt right, I'm in a car and the VR movement was accepted. If I kept my head set on and stood behind the cockpit, I have felt nausea. It is all about immersion and getting your brain to accept what your eyes see as true motion. Once I got a motion cockpit, it was even better at keeping nausea away, because I felt what my eyes saw in VR.

Regardless, VR nausea can be felt by everyone, some less than others. But it is something you get very acclimated to. NOT nausea, never acclimate to that. You acclimate by becoming immersed in the VR experience where your brain will accept the movement it witnesses, though the rest of your body is reporting otherwise. However, get something that induces feeling to your body as well as vision (motion cockpit), hard to get nausea.

Upvote 0
When I first got VR it definitely made me a bit queazy with the native VR programs like the lab and I used a lot of the comfort options. Those are low motion and I was using teleport and other comfort options but it was not great to begin with and had to limit my playtime. But I could see within a few sessions things were improving and 6 months later I was using slide movement and playing high-speed games. Its been some years now and I have done multiple 3-hour stints in endurance races in VR and its not something I suffer now except when travelling backwards. I don't know if everyone can get over it but I certainly did.

I wouldn't try to do this on anything less than a 2080/1080 ti. You will be turning down graphics options even at that GPU level as you will definitely want 90 fps. I also wouldn't bother with a headset that isn't 1440p at least now either because you need to read the dials, most are at this sort of level now but the more resolution definitely better but with the knock on of even more performance issues. I wouldn't start with racing, start in the VR tutorial and beginner experiences and work up as racing is a bit of an assault on the sense and its a recipe for problems that might kick you out of VR for good because you don't have your VR legs yet and jumped straight to a 9/10 activity.

Upvote 0
When I first got VR it definitely made me a bit queazy with the native VR programs like the lab and I used a lot of the comfort options. Those are low motion and I was using teleport and other comfort options but it was not great to begin with and had to limit my playtime. But I could see within a few sessions things were improving and 6 months later I was using slide movement and playing high-speed games. Its been some years now and I have done multiple 3-hour stints in endurance races in VR and its not something I suffer now except when travelling backwards. I don't know if everyone can get over it but I certainly did.

I wouldn't try to do this on anything less than a 2080/1080 ti. You will be turning down graphics options even at that GPU level as you will definitely want 90 fps. I also wouldn't bother with a headset that isn't 1440p at least now either because you need to read the dials, most are at this sort of level now but the more resolution definitely better but with the knock on of even more performance issues. I wouldn't start with racing, start in the VR tutorial and beginner experiences and work up as racing is a bit of an assault on the sense and its a recipe for problems that might kick you out of VR for good because you don't have your VR legs yet and jumped straight to a 9/10 activity.

I'm just getting into sim racing and interested in VR. I am going to buy/build a PC and was thinking somewhere between 2060 and 2080 super. Is there any benefit (or reduced cost) to getting say a 2080 super and a second, less powerful graphics card? My understanding is that you can run 2 graphics cards, so when something more powerful came out I could get rid of the less powerful one and then have a 2080 plus another heavy duty one to be able to handle VR and triple monitors at full graphics and 100+ fps. Thanks

Upvote 0
I had TERRIBLE motion sickness with VR to the point that i was getting sick just thinking about it..lol...I brought the following and absolutely have no motion sickness at all....

Upvote 0
Pardon me to ask

I'm happily over 50 and have had most of the headsets since Oculus DK1. I now have the Index and for me it's the best all round, very comfortable with a great FOV and a variety of refresh rates to choose from.

Upvote 0
.. Is there any benefit (or reduced cost) to getting say a 2080 super and a second, less powerful graphics card? My understanding is that you can run 2 graphics cards...

Not for VR purposes no. The grand majority of games these days do not utilise multiple cards and some VR "experiences" do but nothing you will play for very long, and universally they expect the same card for SLI. None of the racing games support dual cards currently, the fastest singular card you can get is the way to go for VR and the faster the better especially for VR. I wouldn't want to do it on anything less than a 1080/2070 and above and the lower you are the more limited games will be. You ideally want a decent experience out of AC, AMS2, PC2 and iRacing. iRacing is the easiest to run followed by AC, then AMS2 and finally PC2. ACC isn't IMO sufficiently performant enough to run in VR at all regardless of hardware available.

Upvote 0
Not for VR purposes no. The grand majority of games these days do not utilise multiple cards and some VR "experiences" do but nothing you will play for very long, and universally they expect the same card for SLI. None of the racing games support dual cards currently, the fastest singular card you can get is the way to go for VR and the faster the better especially for VR. I wouldn't want to do it on anything less than a 1080/2070 and above and the lower you are the more limited games will be. You ideally want a decent experience out of AC, AMS2, PC2 and iRacing. iRacing is the easiest to run followed by AC, then AMS2 and finally PC2. ACC isn't IMO sufficiently performant enough to run in VR at all regardless of hardware available.

Thanks for the info.. very helpful

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back