What do you look for when buying a rig?

Hi,

I have joined this forum yesterday and already have received some great feedback about potential accessories for a race rig. I am now looking at a couple of different rigs but wondered what you guys look for in buying a new rig?

What are the top three things you would consider when looking at rigs. I'm currently reviewing the following:

Overall looks / Price / ergonomics / stability / quality / ease of use / dimensions / available accessories / different seating positions / brand?

Some of the rigs im looking at are the P1-X / Trak racer TR160 / TR80 / TRS6 and Rseat N1

Interested to know what top three things you look or if theirs something else I am missing?

I have the p1x. What I like about it is that it's solid and configurable.

My rigs have changed many times over the years, sometimes I have had to change the rig completely ot support what I wanted to do. The 8020 rigs solve that, there is no configuration you can't put together.

Having the p1-x or the very similar TR160 in your sights is good if you ask me. If you are happy getting one of those then just go for it. You can add anything you want with little fuss, you can add motion to it if you want. it will take DD, whatever pedals etc.

I would not look at something like the Rseat N1 for exactly the same reasons that I moved to an 8020 rig. At some point you want ot do something and it will be a hack to do it, or you wont be able to do it how you want or without compromise.

Upvote 0
If you're in the US I'd add rigmetal to your list... stock on hand, cheaper than equivalent alternatives (similar to Gt1 Evo) and cheap shipping. https://rigmetal.com/products/racing-rig

rigmetal_chassis_2_2048x.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have joined this forum yesterday and already have received some great feedback about potential accessories for a race rig. I am now looking at a couple of different rigs but wondered what you guys look for in buying a new rig?

What are the top three things you would consider when looking at rigs. I'm currently reviewing the following:

Overall looks / Price / ergonomics / stability / quality / ease of use / dimensions / available accessories / different seating positions / brand?

Some of the rigs im looking at are the P1-X / Trak racer TR160 / TR80 / TRS6 and Rseat N1

Interested to know what top three things you look or if theirs something else I am missing?
1. Ergonomics
2. Stability
3. Price

I own the NLR GTtrack. I am happy with the unit.

Upvote 0
I was looking for maximum versatility because what I have learned from myself is that I never know what will be in one or two years - no matter how much I go into the topic beforehand.
So I went for self-designed 80/20 (which sounds like a lot more effort than really needed). Sure enough I rebuilt it, added stuff, changed the whole pedal setup, added lots of dampers for tactile feedback etc.; With a "ready-made" rig I would have been limited in that. Price-wise I guess it was/is more or less the same when planned well.

Upvote 0
I was looking for maximum versatility because what I have learned from myself is that I never know what will be in one or two years - no matter how much I go into the topic beforehand.
So I went for self-designed 80/20 (which sounds like a lot more effort than really needed). Sure enough I rebuilt it, added stuff, changed the whole pedal setup, added lots of dampers for tactile feedback etc.; With a "ready-made" rig I would have been limited in that. Price-wise I guess it was/is more or less the same when planned well.
What is the total cost of a custom built which includes the structure and seat assembly?

Upvote 0
I´ll support the aluminium profile rig idea.

That is so true, most rigs are evolving over time and the aluminium rig "grows" with you.

My selfbuilt profile rig has grown with a shifter mount, monitor mount and mouse and keyboard holders over the last 8 month.

It developed from a wheel/seat/pedal holder which was dragged in front of the TV and connected to the PS4 using my movie 6.1 setup to a complete cockpit with integrated tripple monitor mount and 5.1 sound powered by a PC.

All was achieved by adding more profiles which i luckily was given by my best friend who salvaged a shop shelf system and had dozens of meters lying around.

But i can be done as easyly when you have to buyorder the profiles.

Another plus is that when you go crazy and go the direct drive route your rig will be solid enough for that to!

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Not being in the states, I am not familiar with the shipping to get it there. You may be paying a chunk to ship a seat over. It could be one part of the equation where you might want to look locally for an equivalent.

Upvote 0
This was my order a couple of months ago in Euro. This is around $1,600 at today's conversion. I don't know if Simlab have a conversion which is fixed and not favourable, but it's a few hundred $ under your expectation, and included everything I need for now. I can always add more later.

ProductQuantityPrice
P1-X sim racing chassis - Wheeldeck, Black1€ 792.40
Sim floor - Aluminium diamond plate cover1€ 58.51
Caster wheels2€ 32.73
Sim-Lab SPEED1 XL - Bucket seat - Black1€ 375.87
Bucket seat bracket set1€ 38.68
Subtotal:€ 1,298.19
Shipping:€ 45.01
Total:€1,343.20 (includes Tax)

Upvote 0
This was my order a couple of months ago in Euro. This is around $1,600 at today's conversion. I don't know if Simlab have a conversion which is fixed and not favourable, but it's a few hundred $ under your expectation, and included everything I need for now. I can always add more later.

ProductQuantityPrice
P1-X sim racing chassis - Wheeldeck, Black1€ 792.40
Sim floor - Aluminium diamond plate cover1€ 58.51
Caster wheels2€ 32.73
Sim-Lab SPEED1 XL - Bucket seat - Black1€ 375.87
Bucket seat bracket set1€ 38.68
Subtotal:€ 1,298.19
Shipping:€ 45.01
Total:€1,343.20 (includes Tax)
Thanks for the detail. Even though I am happy with the GTtrack, I could see something like this in my future. Adding a triple screen mount would bring the total to about $1,900? Does the seat bracket slide?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detail. Even though I am happy with the GTtrack, I could see something like this in my future. Adding a triple screen mount would bring the total to about $1,900? Does the seat bracket slide?
No problem Billy Bob. Pleased you're happy with the GTtrack. There is no doubt that as a hobby we have so many great options.

Agreed, the screen stand add a few hundred dollars, so it's similar costs for you as it is for us.

I didn't get the seat slide. I'm the only one who uses the rig, and I only have one wheel, so once I'd got the setup correct I've not moved it. Having a slider didn't make sense, but your mileage may vary depending on use.

Upvote 0
No problem Billy Bob. Pleased you're happy with the GTtrack. There is no doubt that as a hobby we have so many great options.

Agreed, the screen stand add a few hundred dollars, so it's similar costs for you as it is for us.

I didn't get the seat slide. I'm the only one who uses the rig, and I only have one wheel, so once I'd got the setup correct I've not moved it. Having a slider didn't make sense, but your mileage may vary depending on use.
The seat slides are minor details. Currently my screen to eye is about 560 mm so my 32" displays are 64 degrees. This makes getting onto and out of the seat a bit tight. Slides would help.

Upvote 0
I've made my own since the ones I've tried didnt suit my needs as I ended up with chronic lower back pain, didnt matter if it was racing office chairs, car seats or race seats. So ergonomics are #1 here. I bought an Ikea Poang chair used, created a simple but very sturdy 2x4 wood chassis and a slightly elevated pedal base with inverted pedals in mind, all adjusted to my exact size and needs. All for around 50 euros/60 dollars. Its not particularly pretty, but its very functional.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Mine black (more expensive) P1X was about € 1200-1300 shipped to States, I think I got all accessories possible including single monitor mount, triple should be like 10-20 extra, also got bunch of bolts and extra angle brackets of different sizes.
Seat was not included, sim-lab only sells seats to EU customers, but I had one already.

Upvote 0
What is the total cost of a custom built which includes the structure and seat assembly?

The complete rig was (excluding rubber isolation for tactile feedback but including the extrusion stuff to mount the bass shakers) was 1.110€ incl. shipping. It's the basic rig plus integrated monitor stand (incl. 2nd monitor on top), seat, adjustable bases for wheel and pedals, some additional (oversized) panels for placing mouse, keyboard and some more stuff. And of course the drink holder:)
Some detail photos can be seen here: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ig-upgrade-for-tactile-feedback.185182/page-2
Current photos:
1597945385112.png

1597945411954.png

Upvote 0
For some reason I could not include the last photo which I think is a good example for the versatility I was searching for. After upgrading to HE Sprints I felt my left-foot heel needed more support "on the back". So I took what I had to construct a heel support. With 80/20 everything is so easy. Also note the support for the left food for long straights. It's a little bit angled as it felt better.

DSC_0382.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes