What Can Steam Chart's January Figures Tell Us About PC Racing Games?

just another statistic
discord_stats.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how the generation that grew up glued to TV screens fails to understand the fundamentals of the forms of entertainment of another, just slightly younger generation, and even expresses contempt about it.

Also, the solution seems to be fairly obvious - we need more simracing streamers that are entertaining to watch to appeal to a different generation.

Seen this meme the other day and I had to save it.
20190204_195122.jpg

AC is still the king of simulators, but ACC will pick up once they release their reworked code:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/54723/page-2#post-1022013

"The previous release was light on features because it had to be done using the original code base, whereas the programmers had already been working on the rework. By now, we have completely abandoned the original code, and the next release will feature the latest version of what we'll have by then." -pankykapus

"Perhaps all this talk about growth of sim racing is true"... Project Bugs 1 & 2 are arcade games. :thumbsdown:

Simracing is indeed growing thats awesome.

It is amazing how many players rF2 has, with basically not functioning online mode, and many other unpolished things. Watch it grow 2-4x once the online kicks in as it should and sim gets more polished overall.

Interesting whats going to happen with AMS sequel. As Automobilista is great, it really is not best at anything. And being best at something is very important.

AC best at content, polished great online experience and very approachable + good physics.
iRacing best at online and taking money, great physics.
rF2 best physics, best FFB.
Dirt Rally enormous advantage over RBR which is still better as a simulator.
ACC has leading rain physics, unique licensing and supposed to beat iR in terms of online system.

Raceroom best at DIY FFFB (first F stands for your fantasy).
Project cars best at simcade.
BeamNG best at absorbing wreckers.
F1 2016, 2017, 2018 is best at "can I beat Mercedes pole position laptime"
My Summer Car is best at being cool.
Dirt 4 is best at disappointing.
WRC and DAKAR are best at not using the potential of huge brands.
ETS 2 is at being a truck driver without having to leave your family for months.

I'm surprised that PC simracing exists as a genre, given the requirement to buy a wheel controller after having already shelled out for a computer and a racing game. It just goes to show how much enjoyment the steering wheels give.

The figures make me think that Reiza didn't publicise Automobilista properly. Yes, it's not as good-looking as a rejuvenated Assetto Corsa or PC2 but it's still a tremendous sim that should have sold more copies, especially given the modest hardware requirements. The company released a mere handful of videos for AMS and its DLCs, and it has little online and social media presence. Raceroom and rF2 are much more active in this regard.

When polished and with a truly competitive online experience, ACC should do well.

ETS2 and ATS offer the chance to drink, drive and nod your head to your music of choice. That's what I call a USP. :)

What I find interesting is the dedicated F1 game not being top of the pile by a long way, I kinda expected it to be up there so quite surprised it isn't. Nice article, thanks :)
Not a surprise for me, it's just not good enough to keep people interested for months after launch, i bet it has good initial sales and then it dies down no matter the platform.

Project Cars also sells more than AC, but people move on from it after a while.

Seeing the huge numbers of ETS2, i wonder why they don't manage better performance and better VR implementation then the niche titles (but worse).
I agree on that. When it comes to immersive setups, it becomes a pain to setup properly (triples) and graphicswise it’s mediocre at best. And above that, in VR the lack of optimalization is even more apparent. There is a whole lot SCS could optimize. And DX9 isn’t really an excuse when I fire up RaceRoom. Which for example performs exceptionally well for a pre-VR era DX9 game.

That said, I think we would be surprised how many people plays ETS 2 and/or ATS on a single screen with keyboard and mouse with not that much demands regarding graphics. And since SCS is busy transitioning from DX9 to DX11 I suspect these drawbacks will be adressed in DX11. It would be a waste of resources to make better and more optimized graphics for triples and VR in DX9 while I guess DX11 is better suited towards the (in the end) much needed optimization.

But all that said, even with the drawbacks graphicswise... It is a great game to play on triples or VR. And though graphics are a bit blurry and distance rendering is horrible in VR... It still kicks ass in VR. I even dare to say it’s amongst the most immersive games in VR.

When SCS would abandon ATS and ETS 2 because it would be easier to start again from scratch with a release of ATS 2 and ETS 3 with better optimized graphics for triples and VR, for me it would be an instabuy.

- ETS 2. I never understood how trucking can be so popular :D Really, how? I know "it's relaxing to haul some cargo" but still... how? Many of those people probably play on keyboard? What's going on
That's what normal people play or being a successful placebo. Sometime you need to understand what make you choose to play a specific title. ;)

I hope SCS won't abandon ETS2 or ATS until they have the rest of Europe actually done and the US done. Oh and more trucks in ATS.
I'm kinda hoping for Aussie truck Sim at some point.

• Deleted member 113561

[Note: Only part of the quote is shown, but not out of context!]
iRacing best at online and taking money
rF2 best physics, best FFB.

ACC has leading rain physics, unique licensing and supposed to beat iR in terms of online system.
Project cars best at simcade.
Agree with first 2 lines

Project CARS and Project CARS 2 are both simulations; again simulation or not is defined by how much is simulated not how realistic it is, otherwise iRacing would fall out the category aswell, but it stays, as of the mentioned reasons.
ACC "leading rain physics" many people would disagree and point to Project CARS 2 or even rFactor 2. Anyways its a WIP title, still in Alpha, so I suggest you put it in bracket or mention that fact.

Btw. Project CARS 2 simulates most of the titles mentioned, that is a fact.

AC is becoming the CS:GO of simulators. Does almost everything right and runs amazing on any potato.

I dont see it dying in the next decade. Specially with the high caliber of modding happening today.

Eventhough ACC isnt a finished product I think the low user numbers until now must be worrying for the devs.
Maybe part of the problem is that most of the potiential users is allready using AC and consider this new "version" will allways be missing the different car classes AC has.
My own experience is that the behaviour of the ACC cars is too boring when you have used some times with them.
It feels like Kunos maybe have simplified the tire model too much to try to get new customers onboard.:(

Agree with first 2 lines

Project CARS and Project CARS 2 are both simulations; again simulation or not is defined by how much is simulated not how realistic it is, otherwise iRacing would fall out the category aswell, but it stays, as of the mentioned reasons.
ACC "leading rain physics" many people would disagree and point to Project CARS 2 or even rFactor 2. Anyways its a WIP title, still in Alpha, so I suggest you put it in bracket or mention that fact.

Btw. Project CARS 2 simulates most of the titles mentioned, that is a fact.

You are talking about simulation of general immersion, vibe. I don't know where you find the definitions of simracing, but to me the main thing is simulating physical things related with vehicle handling, and to me simulation is defined by how well things are simulated in the first place, and then how much things are simulated. The quality is first stage, and quantity is second stage, second stage has little value without strong first stage. The first thing I look at when I test simulation is how cars act over the limit, how sliding works, and there is a lot to it, the problem is that it is difficult to say what is right, a bit too much depends solely on common sense. Of course there is much more to simulation, but for competitive racing it is inda one of the most important aspects - what will be over the limit ?

I don't get whats up about iracing falling out of category.

As for rain stuff. First of all, physics has to be great on dry. ACC simulates dynamic hydroplaning very well, cars feels legit as Aris described "you have a feeling that something is going to happen any moment", cars grips well and snaps off very "well", thats legit stuff. Also it has been said that slippery rubbered tarmac will be introduced, which is one of the ways of "viscous hydroplaning". Personally I felt like first release was epic, and on top rain felt just spot on, later builds are worse for me, but I am already being chased and shamed for liking first release so much...

rF2 rain is very basic yet. It is bold how road gets wet and how it dries out, how increasing water level makes track slower. But you don't have any kind of hydroplaning, puddles are just cosmetic and many vehicles feels like sliding in wet is too severe as I have an impression that rain flattens slip curves, but I'm not sure. But it is great anyway. There are many things which I like about rain more in rF2, though essentially a simulation of it is way better in ACC. No need to use any brackets or the fact that it is in EA makes any difference other than that it should get even better.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be missing the point that the only current sim title with online use as a BUSINESS model is iRacing.
The rest have online functions but that isn't the defining point of them.
I doubt very much that any of the devs would care about those games online figures as they get no further money from that.
The stuff on console has made all its money there...well 80% odd anyway.
kartkraft devs may be a bit embarrassed, but doubt codies or SMS will lose any sleep over these stats...

My game of choice that i use the most is AC with mod cars and shaders patch and sol etc... so far away from the standard AC and Kunos have not made a penny from me in years...
In fact i got the game on PC for about £20 with all DLC.....so if i go online or not kunos don't care, i have had 600 hours out of it for £20 which they saw 2 years ago.

Before that i had it on console for £30...so they made £50 out of me...

Last edited:
Honestly it's hard to get back to AC after driving in ACC. After a bit of getting used to it, ACC is just better (I have 2600+ hours in AC). Hope the next release fixes the bugs and we're on the right path.
Looking at AC, it's incredible how it started rather low and it just it keeps growing:
https://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,378860,365960,211500#All\
View attachment 289737

On the contrary, it's quite easy. You just have to dislike the most sleep inducing GT cars in the history of motorsport :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.