What a blast!

Think it might be around 15 years since I last hit this game hard. I've just gone through the Russia rally stages and talk about fun! Game still looks great, still plays great. I haven't felt let down at all that maybe my memory "glorified" the game. It's just as I remember it and just as enjoyable. My driving is terrible but I can see I should quickly find my feet. Surprisingly, I can't remember what I did 15 minutes ago but as I drove the stages I remembered many aspects of them quite well.
Finally, let's talk about "that sun!" lol
This game was famous for it and you know what, it's actually kinda good to see it again.

If you have never played Rally Trophy, it's a racer everyone should try at least once. I'm loving it!
Back to RT...

Yeah, it seems like I'm not the only one who came back to RT after (for me) 17 years and still is satisfied (well, a little more than back in the days, because in 2001/2002 RT needed some high-end machine that I didn't have, resulting in low-res and stutters...).
Sure the graphics are outdated by today's standards, but they are still pretty! Why? Because Bugbear - intentionally or not - didn't ride the realistic wave. Instead they gave the game this romantic, slightly cartoonish look - and the sun-flares are a relevant part of it.
Funny though that the author of the "Sweden Update" track mod states that the Sweden-scenery was too cartoonish for him, so he reworked it with new highres-textures. The end result is less RT-style with more stutters :cool:

Sure the graphics are outdated by today's standards, but they are still pretty! Why? Because Bugbear - intentionally or not - didn't ride the realistic wave. Instead they gave the game this romantic, slightly cartoonish look - and the sun-flares are a relevant part of it.

Exactly! You can see the graphics are from the time period but the specific look they have still gives the game visual appeal today. I've encountered the sun flare and night stages, they are really well done to be honest. I think I appreciate them more now then I did back then.

I'm going through one rally at a time till I finish top 6 before I move on to the next so I get my speed back up to something reasonable. Once I can achieve top 6 in them all I'll start doing championships. I've done Russia, Kenya and now on Finland. Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying RT, loads of fun! Great to listen to the menu music and nice to hear the co-driver's voice again along with his comments. haha

Do you play vanilla (original game)? Or did you apply the TT-realmod? With TT-realmod it's a really hard challenge to finish in the top 6 unless you use the best available car - and even then... The problem with the mod is that the makers adapted the stage times accordingly, but in the same time closed the CPU-drivers ranks, so if you make a small mistake and loose 1 or 2 seconds, you don't end up 1 or 2, but 10 or 12 positions further down :confused:

Yes, I admit - even vanilla is a lot of fun. But... what I wasn't aware of before starting to mess around with the physics was the huge amount of sideways action that's supressed by the original setup.
Anyway, it's funny to drive an addon car that's based on vanilla physics in the TT-realmod-game - you're fast as hell! ...and then I have to hang back and stop before the finish line or crash, just to not establish a new stage record that is unbeatable by TT-real-cars :cautious:

I'm driving the Stratos Factory car and can tell you Finland has me struggling to get in the top 6. Haven't done it yet, you gotta be fast and not make mistakes. A lot of pressure on stages 3-6. Stages 3/4 need different setups as do 5/6 but of course you can only choose one setup type for both stages. Don't know if I've figured out the optimum setup balance for those stages.
All I know it's fun! Won't be putting RT away again for another 15 years can tell you that.

Installed RT today and man is it fun. Must have ben 12 years since I last tested it but couldn't get proper wheel/pedal support then. Now my AF and HE's work like a charm. I use GimX and run the controls through an emulated G27 in the controller config. For some reason I can't adjust in-game FFB using the AF steering axis in the controller config.

Many thanks to Zorro72 for uploading the necessary files.

Edit: that sun...

Last edited:
Well, bit of a break but I'm still at this game. Played some Colin McRae 2005 lately but it don't handle like Rally Trophy does.
This game is literally a cult classic and for anyone who hasn't played it, I feel sorry for them. I'll say it again, what a blast!

time to find and install RT I think!!

Hope you found the time!
I switched from Win 7 to 10 and it appears to run great on Win 10.
Since earlier posts I've won the championship. Plenty more challenges ahead like trying to finishing 1st in all rally's. That's only running the fastest car, then there are all the other cars to run and see how well I can do.

It's such a quality and fun racing game.

I had a 14 month break due to life taking over and finally fired up RT again. As per all my other comments, it's just so much fun! Takes a little practice to get speed back I am finding after a long break but geez it's pure fun!

I'll be playing this game forever. As soon as the main menu opens up and you hear that RT menu music you know you are in for a good time. Hope others out there still get a chance to enjoy this one.

Working perfectly under Win 10 and with a G29. I don't use any force feedback. Steering is totally loose with 270 rotation set.

Last edited:
Always liked this game!

Kaljakoppa!
Fire it up again!

Can't remember what I said in this thread but still stand by it all! :D
I've been playing RT again over the last week or two and it's just soooo much fun!

Goal is to one day win a championship by finishing first in all 5 countries. Haven't done it yet. The ultimate goal would be to win every stage!

Even if I ever did all this, then there is the challenge of trying to do as above in a car with lesser performance.

RT will never get boring. Love it!

Lol, my goal is to finish at any other place than the last :laugh: (Same with GPL btw)
A pipe dream in my case, but the game is so much fun no matter where I'm in the results table.
And the worse my performance is, the navigator comments become more and more amusing. Last time he offered to drive instead of me :p

Last edited:
Haha, the navigator is always hilarious.
The main thing is to have fun! I still remember back in the day the RT forum. No offence to this forum, but the RT forum had to be the most fun forum I'd ever been on. People just loved the game and any RT talk was always welcomed and enjoyed.

Lol, the navigator constantly derides me for crashing "his" car. (Though if you tire of him there's a mod providing a calmer female navigator.)

I got RT shortly after it came out (a local store decided to drop all their gaming oriented inventory, I paid the princely sum of $5 for it) and it has been on every system since then. Even those lean years when I was stuck with Vista, before some kind soul created the new dlls so RT was fully functional again (I still played it ...with auto transmission ...and extracted and edited all the car files so shifts would occur when I wanted them).

Tried several other rally sims but always return to RT; as you said, it is fun. My only real complaint is shared with every rally sim I've tried - you cannot add new cars and tracks, only replace existing ones.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back