rF2 "We got Le Mans Ultimate at Home" - LMH, LMDh & GTE @ Newly Released Shanghai - Fri 01 March 2024

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
S8hjStp.jpeg
"I want to play Le Mans Ultimate with my simracing mates!!"
Studio 397: "We got Le Mans Ultimate at home"...
Well. rF2 it is then, as Le Mans Ulitmate was released with no way of making private online sessions or running dedicated servers. However, we have Le Mans Hypercar, LMDh and GTE here as well. And to my big surprise... Shanghai has just been released as a mod, and it looks quite nice after the first test!

Eligibility: You must be a PREMIUM member. You must also use your REAL NAME on all RD servers and Discord, and include this in your forum profile. It is the only way of identifying who you are during an event.

[Server Password: See conversation(PM) about it]
[RaceDepartment Discord]

[Racing Club Rules]
[Incident Reporting]

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM "LMU"

Car(s):
Note: You can race the Porsche LMDh or Ferrari LMH without buying any DLC-cars. You can buy a single GTE car if you just want to drive that one.
  • Porsche 963 LMDh - [STEAM]
  • Ferrari 499P - [STEAM]
  • Corvette C8.R - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle
  • BMW M8 GTE - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle
  • Corvette C7.R - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle
  • Porsche 911 RSR - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle
  • Aston Martin Vantage GTE - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle
  • Ferrari 488 GTE - [DLC] - Endurance Bundle

Track: Shanghai International Circuit [STEAM]
Layout: Grand Prix
Track Temperature: Depends on weather
Fixed Setups: No (setups can be shared)
Start Type: Formation Lap & Rolling Start
Driving Assists: Auto Clutch, Auto Shifting
Time: Day->Night
Weather: Real Life
Forecast: Here +12C
ABS/TC: Factory Defaults

Schedule: (EU) Friday 01 March 2024
Practice: 20:00 UTC (20 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:20 UTC (10 minutes - PRIVATE)
Warm Up: 20:30 UTC (4 minutes)
Race: 20:35UTC (50 minutes)

ShanghaiGP.png
INFORMATION & BASIC RULES

• It is the responsibility of faster cars to safely overtake slower cars. When a faster car is overtaking a slower car (in a different class), whether a blue flag is being shown to the slower car or not, the slower car should be predictable and remain on the racing line. The faster car should execute the overtake only when it is safe to do so. If a faster car is lapping another car in the same class then the same rule applies; some cooperation may be required to facilitate the overtake. Please be sensible.
  • All of the standard Racing Club Rules still apply to this event.
  • You do not need to nominate which car you will drive, but should specify in which class you would like to drive when signing up.

DRIVER LIST

LMH/LMDh

1. Jimlaad43
  2. Roy Magnes
  3. Michael Rudolf
  4. Lesley Buurlage
  5. Free Spot
  6. Free Spot
  7. Free Spot
  8. Free Spot
  9. Free Spot
  10. Free Spot
  11. Free Thing

GTE
  1. Ole Marius Myrvold
  2. G-Slev
  3. H_Belane
  4. Kresh
  5. Smidgey
  6. Hartmut2
  7. Free Spot
  8. Free Spot
  9. Free Spot
  10. Free Spot
  11. Free Spot
  12. Free Spot
  13. Free Spot
  14. Free Spot
  15. Free Spot
  16. Free Candy
  17. Free Spot

A little out off topic, who got LeMans Ultimate ? And what are your thought on the game ?

"
It's hard to say tbh. Even my 4hr30min release day stream ended with the conclusion "hmmm" :p
It's like an rFactor 2 mod, while it's not... It is very rF2 based though. It has some performance issues, but my main issue is the lack of content. You can do a race weekend (or make sessions private so it is practice on a track by yourself) or race online in the competition system, which is the same as in rF2.

However. If I want to do random racing like that, it's a bigger chance that I will do iRacing, where I can do ovals or kinda-rallycross, which is something I don't get elsewhere.
I would love to do a WEC-season, with driver swaps (AI driver swaps) etc. but that's not in the game (yet, I hope). And there is no private session or dedicated servers, so no RD race or anything like that.
As the Race Weekend in the game uses real grids, it means the only way to affect grid size in the race is to not include a specific class, as you cannot choose the number of AI opponent, nor can you choose race length freely.

When it worked, it was really fun to drive - even though I am extremely slow in Hypercars - it's just lacking a bit of meat to the bone so to speak."

Is what I was answering @Jasje in the SuperTouring race thread.
You can jump a bit back and forth here and see how it works/don't work:

A little out off topic, who got LeMans Ultimate ? And what are your thought on the game ?
I got it and did a few online races. You can definately see why it's early access still, it has it's bugs and limitations. Coming from rF2 you'll feel at home immediately. It felt like they worked on the tire model but so far I'm not sure how I feel about it. The GTE's seemed to have less grip and I struggled to keep the tires alive. I only did fixed setup races and the defaults didn't feel good to me so maybe it was that. The LMP2 felt surprisingly good, wasn't a big fan of it in rF2 but had good fun in LMU with it. Only tried the Hypercars a little, not sure how I feel about them yet, a bit odd at first but probably needs time to get used to the hybrid system.
Haven't had any performance issues online but offline using a complete grid it was unplayable for me with FPS drops to 25 or so. To be fair, I didn't tweak the graphics settings a lot, that might be fixable.
Technically it looks like an improved rF2. The engine seems to be pretty much the same (with mentioned tire model reworks), graphic and gameplay settings are the same (it just looks a bit better), directory sructure and file management are the same, you can use the same third party tools like SimHub with some manual tweeking, etc.
In general it just lacks features for now. No setting up your own servers, very limited settings for offine races (i.e. only certain race durations are available).
I think it has a lot of potential and I hope those missing features will be added. There were quite some people racing online so that's good.
As Ole said, my main concern is the very limited content, espcecially the tracks. No idea what the plan is but with what is there now people could get bored soon. Looking at the 2024 WEC calendar we could get Sao Paule, COTA and Imola along the GT3 cars which would be nice but that is still limited, even compared to ACC.
Oh...and the UI looks better but is painfully slow. No idea why they still can't create a decent one :(

Last edited:
LMU is early access, if the Studio works on the Bugs, Performance than I'm fine. Driving feels great, not perfekt, but great. About content, for an early access its a Lot of content. A 2024 DKC/Update is for sure, the New LMDHs are confirmed, so iis the work on the GT3LM. And the New circuits.
What i hope for is the fast Addition of Private Servers, but i was sure this would be not in the first starte of Release. A working and reliable netcode is maybe the most important Feature.

LMU is early access, if the Studio works on the Bugs, Performance than I'm fine. Driving feels great, not perfekt, but great. About content, for an early access its a Lot of content. A 2024 DKC/Update is for sure, the New LMDHs are confirmed, so iis the work on the GT3LM. And the New circuits.
What i hope for is the fast Addition of Private Servers, but i was sure this would be not in the first starte of Release. A working and reliable netcode is maybe the most important Feature.

I will be surprised if they actually add in all the additional tracks. And if they ever get around to do ELMS/ALMS that will be a shock.

With that being said. As it is very much like rF2, I am very surprised by the lack of dedicated servers - and I fear that they are going the iRacing-route.

the hypercar modes have horrible VR performance, I tested them a couple of weeks ago and it's quite unplayable when you add a couple of cars. Turning down car details doesn't help and I have a powerfull PC (3090ti)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.