Tracks Watkins Glen International

I didn't mean to derail towards a Group C discussion, sorry. Also there should be no reason for folks to be sad around here ;).
Is there ever a bad time to have a Group C discussion? That's like apologizing for serving great pizza three days in a row! :D

I've known the race track Watkins Glen International forever, but I never realized they raced Group C there. That's great to learn! I know it's become expected that a Lilski creation be outstanding, but it's still worth stating that this track is shaping up so nicely.

I love how much time Lilski spends on making sure the subtleties are there. That's what really separates a really, really good track from a great track, in my opinion. The twisty wire on the catch fencing is a great example. You're most likely never going to even see it - especially at race speeds. But, if a track camera is placed nearby, or if someone is taking still photos nearby with their own custom placement, those wires may very well become prominent in the shot. Again...that's taking really good catch fencing modeling and turning it into great catch fencing modeling. :)

I never knew about The Bog at The Glen so I just did a quick Google search to get an overview about The Bog. I do know Lilski really likes this track IRL but I have no idea if he wants to recreate The Bog or not. However, if he did want to recreate The Bog it shouldn't be hard to have animated flames on a destroyed car, right? It'd be almost like the flames from our exhaust, except it's always burning every frame or am I talking out of my ignorant a$$? I suppose even a static shot of a burning car would suffice. But knowing how Lilski builds his tracks, if he does recreate The Bog it's going to be great or he's not going to include it at all. :thumbsup:

Is there ever a bad time to have a Group C discussion? That's like apologizing for serving great pizza three days in a row! :D

I've known the race track Watkins Glen International forever, but I never realized they raced Group C there. That's great to learn! I know it's become expected that a Lilski creation be outstanding, but it's still worth stating that this track is shaping up so nicely.
Look a feew pages back, we linked to full Group C race coverages that IMSA made available on youtube a few weeks ago

Look a feew pages back, we linked to full Group C race coverages that IMSA made available on youtube a few weeks ago
How did I miss that?! :confused: Thanks for letting me know.

Wow...Watkins looks like it can be bumpy. :geek: 190mph by time the cars get to the Inner Loop. According to the video I'm currently watching, the GTS cars could also get up to about 190mph before the Inner Loop. That's crazy fast.

I love this map of Watkins Glen:
8vgYbhT.jpg

It's like a freakin' rollercoaster! :D I'm a sucker for elevation changes. :cool:

Wow...Watkins looks like it can be bumpy. :geek: 190mph by time the cars get to the Inner Loop. According to the video I'm currently watching, the GTS cars could also get up to about 190mph before the Inner Loop. That's crazy fast.

8vgYbhT.jpg

It's like a freakin' rollercoaster! :D I'm a sucker for elevation changes. :cool:
Bumpy then but not so much anymore after 2016.

Bumpy then but not so much anymore after 2016.

It was also resurfaced sometime between the GTP days and 2016 as well; wasn't nearly that bumpy through the 2000s AFAIK.

8vgYbhT.jpg

The thing I always hate about those maps is that they hugely overemphasize the elevation changes. Watkins is still quite the rollercoaster, but not nearly as much as that map shows. I see the same thing even on modern F1 tracks which are practically all billiard-table flat these days, sadly. Talk about misrepresenting data :rolleyes:

It was also resurfaced sometime between the GTP days and 2016 as well; wasn't nearly that bumpy through the 2000s AFAIK.

The thing I always hate about those maps is that they hugely overemphasize the elevation changes. Watkins is still quite the rollercoaster, but not nearly as much as that map shows. I see the same thing even on modern F1 tracks which are practically all billiard-table flat these days, sadly. Talk about misrepresenting data :rolleyes:
Correct. This is what it actually looks like.
upload_2018-1-24_22-22-43.png

Can't wait to bypass the inner loop and fly into turn 5 at 190mph in the Porsche 962 like they did in the early 90s!

Heh, 962 will be the car I will take for a spin first when the track is released. It's been my go to car for a while now and mostly at Riverside long. But great to get more IMSA tracks for it.

Hey man,

Are you going to put some mud / dirt textures behind the kerbs to make the grass look more cut up / worn?
Where it makes sense yes. And for Watkins the only places it makes sense it at the bus stop and maybe exit T9. Due to the high speed nature of the course there actually isn't allot of curb use at turn apex, and most turn exits are paved except for T9. The only video I have where there is a lot of dirt behind the curbs is in 2016 and the grass has not grown back in yet after the repave. In all the other videos I have the grass grows right up against the backside of the curb with no dirt.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back