Volvo C30 R-Edition

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I am thinking of buying this car after a long internal struggle. It's either the more expensive BMW 1 serie or this one.

Any of you got experience with this C30 petrol engine or maybe the D2 diesel?

The Volvo looks great, and you're sure it's gonna be reliable :)
From what I read though the chassis might feel a bit "slushy", as the manual transmission does... It's also FWD...

The BMW is killing the Volvo in the performances department... It's RWD, quick and responsive steering and everything...
That would be my choice since I would take my car to the track from time to time :)
But as you said, it's more expensive, not as comfortable as the Volvo and a few things like that, but overall a better fun-car ;)

That's from what I read anyway, feel free to take it into account or not, and you can always go to your dealer for a test drive :p

Buying both of them is the best decision :)
Oh come on... You can afford it :p

Seriously i would buy Volvo if i were you. More of a city driving type it is.

@William: I made some test drives in the 1 series the last couple of months. The 1.6 version is absolute rubbish. No power, no comfort, nothing. The BMW 1 only becomes interesting when you are above the 120 series. Ofcourse the coolest would be a 130 but that car is way out of my budget range.

The Volvo is indeed FWD like 99% of the other cars on the road but its new design stands out for me compared to the dull Golf and Astra that almost everybody drives nowadays. The 2.0 petrol version has a pretty powerful engine (enough for daily traffic) and the optional sport chassis is stiff and responsive.

Oh well, money wise I made my choice already :) Hopefully i dont get too enthusiastic about the extra options that can be ordered :)

Well, here in Quebec the Volvo would be near 40000$, without any gadjets... That's the price of a Mustang GT...

The BMW 128i would be about 45000$, with the Sport Package and no other goodies...

Both after Quebec taxes and both have about 230hp... So yeah, the BMW is expensive :p

Anyway :)

Hehe the 230bhp one is the T5 version which is way too expensive here (fuel consumption is too high) so Ill have to pick the 2.0 liter version with 145bhp.

Maybe a chiptune :D

Made up my mind and ordered a brand new C30. Will be ready in November 2011 #whoohoo

It will look identical to the one in this picture

volvoc30white.jpg

Considering to enter the WTCC in 2012 :D

I like this car a lot, but why in white? :)

I have always driven black cars and I am sick and tired to wash it every week as even the smallest particle of dust you see on black metallic :)

Secondly the black elements on the rear end of the car look strange on a darker car. Third, in time ill replace the light rims with black ones :)

also, are these 19" wheels? I so envy you that you live in a country with REAL roads, not like in the Czech Republic where you are afraid of getting the car broken if you travel from town to town :( if I put 19inch on our car it would destroy the whole chassis

I've got a C30 2.0 diesel with the sport pack about 18 months ago, pretty good performance but great handling and a lot of fun if you turn the DSTC off :o) Pity they'll never produce the Polestar version, although spoke to the Polestar chap at Donington a few weeks ago and they'll take your C30 and work a bit of magic on it......for a price:D

I bet that price is not a small one :)

Btw: I ordered the car yesterday and it will arrive in November. Managed to negotiate that they will deliver it with a an extra set of wintertires (Vredesteijn SnowTrac) as well.

I love Volvos. I think they're just great looking cars, all of em. And this is coming from a teenager xD
Especially the earlier boxy models.
Perfect edges. Signature tail lights.

And you're pretty much driving a tank since they're so safe and well-built!

My dad had 2 volvos. Crashed one into a telephone pole and burnt out the transmission in another.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back