Featured Valtteri Bottas to Make Rally Debut in January

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,628
    Bottas Rally Lapland.jpg
    Mercedes' driver Valtteri Bottas will add his name to a long list of accomplished Finnish stars to have taken part in the Arctic Lapland Rally this coming January.

Bottas, fresh off the back of a very difficult season with the dominant Mercedes outfit in Grand Prix racing, will make his rally debut behind the wheel of a WRC specification Ford Focus WRC on the January 24-26 Artic Lapland rally, taking over the controls of a top level rally car very similar in specification to that of reigning WRC champion and current dominant rally driver Sebastien Ogier.

Bottas was understandably pleased to get his 2019 racing season off to an early start in January, even if the choice of car is a little different than his usual mount:

“This is a unique opportunity to take a peek into the world of rallying, and I would like to thank everyone who has made it possible,” said Bottas.​

“It’s totally new territory for me too, as I have no prior experience of a World Rally Car. Still, being the race car driver that I am, you always go flat out whatever the vehicle you’re driving in.”

With little in the way of experience behind the wheel in WRC style machinery, Bottas has been teamed up with the vastly experienced Timo Rautiainen, World Champion co-driver to the legendary Marcus Gronholm during the dominant years of the Finnish driver in the early 2000's.

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +281
    Silly you ask me , look what happened before and don't say it can't happen again

Besides that they should give someone else a go that deserves it not millionaires

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +144
    I'm looking forward for 2020 season, with Kalle Rovanperä stepping into WRC.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. mclaren777

mclaren777

Ratings:
    +5
    There are no guard rails in Finland. ;)

• Haha Haha x 2
  5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    RaceDepartment Technical Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,291
    I don't have any issue with drivers going and doing other stuff outside of their F1 commitments. He must have Merc's blessing to do it and they of course have Ocon on speed-dial. :)

• Haha Haha x 2
  6. NDG

NDG
    Non Dangerous Guy Premium

Ratings:
    +103
    Allowing your wife to ride your neighbor's stallions, so you can call number two on speed dial? :p

7. DeVxC

DeVxC

Ratings:
    +13
    Wow so much negativity, maybe he will do fine...
    Good for him, I want to see how it goes

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Ianlvl456

Ianlvl456
    Driver Motive Premium

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello Valtteri it's James

9. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +144
    More importantly, Sebastian Loeb is back!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.