Use road effects in FFB with direct drive wheel?

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

I know road effects is canned effect and i saw not once people tell DD shall not use road effects as its just amplifier of those forces, like those are they already and by increasing it you multiply it.
But then i saw Hamidovic reccomend 15% for fanatic dd2.
I always felt like cars in ACC act more like hovercrafts than cars but yesterday i increased road feel first to 5%, thn 10%, and i set it finally to 20% and i feel not more like car behaviour BUT IM SURPRISED it not only adds road surface detail , or maybe its my placebo now but i feel like better resistance to turn wheel while driving , or i think thats cause wheel vibrates more on road so that vibrations makes me think as its tyre graining on surface and it feel like slight resistance to turn wheel.. i could tell like road effects not only makes us feel track surface but also like steering shaft.. that seems weird a little but working.
so i want ask DD users do you use road feel effect?
yesterday i even increased all effects in AC1 to 20% (road, slip, abs, kerb) and i think same think it kinda adds steering shaft feeling to my wheel.
i would not tell it make me faster but sure it increase immersion.

Screenshot_20210712-185559.png

• Deleted member 197115

I know road effects is canned effect and i saw not once people tell DD shall not use road effects as its just amplifier of those forces, like those are they already and by increasing it you multiply it.
But then i saw Hamidovic reccomend 15% for fanatic dd2.
I always felt like cars in ACC act more like hovercrafts than cars but yesterday i increased road feel first to 5%, thn 10%, and i set it finally to 20% and i feel not more like car behaviour BUT IM SURPRISED it not only adds road surface detail , or maybe its my placebo now but i feel like better resistance to turn wheel while driving , or i think thats cause wheel vibrates more on road so that vibrations makes me think as its tyre graining on surface and it feel like slight resistance to turn wheel.. i could tell like road effects not only makes us feel track surface but also like steering shaft.. that seems weird a little but working.
so i want ask DD users do you use road feel effect?
yesterday i even increased all effects in AC1 to 20% (road, slip, abs, kerb) and i think same think it kinda adds steering shaft feeling to my wheel.
i would not tell it make me faster but sure it increase immersion.
Hmm, thats interesting, may have to try that out. Its probably a little like the FX slider in AMS2, i have it set to about 20% and what it adds is good, but don't want it too high as it can actually mask certain forces. I use a CSW 2.5, so not DD but closest thing to it without going full DD

• Deleted member 963434

what one reccomend may not be 100% accurate.
i tell with 20% for my wheel its more like-real car behaviour i feel more surface on wheel and with road feel at 0 i feel like driving hovercraft like hovering above ground. strange as they tell road effects are canned effects and DD shall make those effects even at 0 but in ACC its not.
at least for my wheel.
and i dont know any presets for osw in ACC maybe my wheel is not OSW on simcommander but my wheel has its own software.

• Deleted member 963434

and

I am on SC2 Pro and using 10%, it's all up to personal preferences, it might not help you go faster, but might improve immersion esp. in the absence of tactile.
thats strange thing i told, normally in real car you shall not feel every bump on steering wheel. but i noticed road feel setting not only affect bump feeling for bumps but also steering shaft feeling.
i mean its purpose shall be that if you hit bump wheel exaggerate force on your wheel making you feel that bump stronger. and that i always thought so i had this set at 0 to not have exaggerated bumps,,
but what i noticed it kinda makes steering shaft feel too.. i mean there is always slight vibration that makes you think slight bumps comin from front wheels into you steering wheel, and when you turn it you always feel those slight vibrations.. and that sense on your fingers those vibrations makes you think its actually some damping/resistance to turning wheel, like it was actual steering shaft connecting both wheels into steering wheel, and you feel this weight by those vibrations.
i always talking about immersion not making me better driver. but with those effects "exaggerated" i can feel wheel behaviour more like in real car. i mean at 0 i feel no vibrations on center or when turning wheel when i take corner that has o bumps and it always felt kinda weird for me,,, now even when goin slow i feel vibrations taht tell me my car is moving, and when i turn wheel even at slow speed i feel more vibrations tellin me rubber is graining agains asphalt. so i would not tell its CANNED, i would tell it shall be default force and remove it from menu xD like for example iracing did.. in iracing you always feel those graining and there not option to turn it more or less, they just figured out how it shall be and set it and did not let us set it for us own preference.

• Deleted member 963434

Hmm, thats interesting, may have to try that out. Its probably a little like the FX slider in AMS2, i have it set to about 20% and what it adds is good, but don't want it too high as it can actually mask certain forces. I use a CSW 2.5, so not DD but closest thing to it without going full DD
yes try it. its same thing as FX in AMS2, and in AMS2 i put it too at 20. but in AMS2 it may be too strong at 20 as i think AMS2 even at 0 makes those forces better than ACC at 0.
its just that in ACC at 0 you feel no effects and in AMS2 at 0 you always feel those effects of tyre scrubbing around surface. but in ACC at 20 for me personal feels perfect and in AMS2 i think it may be exaggerated then..
iracing made it best that force is always there and you can't change it, so you have one slider less to tweak xD btw iracing has practically only one slider to set ffb i mean just ffb strength slider xD

what one reccomend may not be 100% accurate.
i tell with 20% for my wheel its more like-real car behaviour i feel more surface on wheel and with road feel at 0 i feel like driving hovercraft like hovering above ground. strange as they tell road effects are canned effects and DD shall make those effects even at 0 but in ACC its not.
at least for my wheel.
and i dont know any presets for osw in ACC maybe my wheel is not OSW on simcommander but my wheel has its own software.

Trust me, I am with you all along. When I promote the use of the actual Nm on the wheel driver from real cars rather than max out to crazy level they treat me like I am crazy, at least in the past.

I have almost 4k h on Kunos SW and I tried it all. Right now I use zero filters whatsoever to get the most out of telemetry except for little dynamic damping.

The issue is that telemetry is car AND track dependent, so I tweak the ffb value on the car's custom file.

Let me also say one thing once for ever, when people say FFB is a driver preference, that is the biggest BS in simracing.

If the SW is right there is only one way to go with a wheel that can deliver up to Nm of what the actual car can deliver and the developer should provide the custom profile for each of those hardware..

Of course, that's the niche of the market, so they don't care, except for rF2 and r3e, but the physics are not as much satisfying.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Let me also say one thing once for ever, when people say FFB is a driver preference, that is the biggest BS in simracing.
I would agree on steering rack forces, but it's only one part of the FFB, it also needs to simulate SOTP effects, things that in real life do not translate to steering wheel rotation and become more open to interpretation, from both developers and users as everyone sees it differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to look for the acronym in this context and ACC is the one that according to Mr. Casillo doesn't have any, like AC, when everything else is off. Tires noise and loose of grip at the front should be enough in that department as we get in real life. The rest is, by definition, related to motion, which is an other can of warms (see weight transfer).

yes try it. its same thing as FX in AMS2, and in AMS2 i put it too at 20. but in AMS2 it may be too strong at 20 as i think AMS2 even at 0 makes those forces better than ACC at 0.
its just that in ACC at 0 you feel no effects and in AMS2 at 0 you always feel those effects of tyre scrubbing around surface. but in ACC at 20 for me personal feels perfect and in AMS2 i think it may be exaggerated then..
iracing made it best that force is always there and you can't change it, so you have one slider less to tweak xD btw iracing has practically only one slider to set ffb i mean just ffb strength slider xD
Hey Dario, Cheers mate, I tried it out along with some other settings I've recently changed which have transformed the sim for me. Results are good! Spending so much time in ACC now, here's how i got on, I mentioned your suggestion in the video aswell!

Awesome, the latest snake oil seller with magic FF settings just appeared.
Hold up there mate, im just trying to help, these settings have made your sim just awsome for me and I just wanted to share them in the hope they might help others have a great time with it. I'm not selling anyone anything, infact if anything im trying to help folks enjoy your sim, that you are selling. As it happenes i've had quite a few folks get back to me and tell me it has put a huge grin on their face and they can't stop driving it either, so that can only be positive right?

In general is that terrible idea of throwing random numbers around, with zero understanding and knowledge of what those numbers do until the brain is fooled enough to see things that I detest.
This kind of approach does a terrible disservice to the entire simracing community.
In this case, obviously the 0 steer lock is the comical protagonist of the story.

Plus, if you really have found some secret magic potion and you really want to share it you will simply post the numbers and discuss the results.. if you spam a youtube video in multiple places, then you are after something else.

Last edited:
In this case, obviously the 0 steer lock is the comical protagonist of the story.
Basically with this method you don't have to set the degrees of rotation ingame every time you set them on your wheel when you change cars, because ACC seems to default to the cars rotation if you set the game degrees below, as shown. That's the basic message of that video. I used that method years ago in AC when I still used a Fanatec CSL.

Other than having hard lock I don't see how FFB feel would bee influenced by that at least it didn't in AC back in the day.

In general is that terrible idea of throwing random numbers around, with zero understanding and knowledge of what those numbers do until the brain is fooled enough to see things that I detest.
This kind of approach does a terrible disservice to the entire simracing community.

Plus, if you really have found some secret magic potion and you really want to share it you will simply post the numbers and discuss the results.. if you spam a youtube video in multiple places, then you are after something else.
Wow! Bloody heck mate, sorry im still choking on the bile, hatred and mallace emminating from your post there. Pardon me for being a paying customer, enjoying your product and apparently doing a massive disservice to the community I so enjoy by finding a magic (yes magic, it certainly is for me thankyou very much, saved me alot of time) work around thats helped me (and evidently others, going on the feedback i've recieved) enjoy the product even more than before.

Yeah finding out that 0 steer lock works exactly the same as setting the actual degrees of any given car may be just dumb luck, and summit this clown has stumbled apon by pure luck cause yeah I aint the sharpest tool in the box. But I'd rather be a lucky clown than a clever phyco in'it!

I'd love to be as clever as you are sir but hey, I did'nt win that section of the genetics lottery. You being an expert sir may actually be able to inform me of a better soloution no?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

Basically with this method you don't have to set the degrees of rotation ingame every time you set them on your wheel when you change cars, because ACC seems to default to the cars rotation if you set the game degrees below, as shown. That's the basic message of that video. I used that method years ago in AC when I still used a Fanatec CSL.

Other than having hard lock I don't see how FFB feel would bee influenced by that at least it didn't in AC back in the day.
yes i understand it same way as you. TarmacTerrorist dont tell setting rotation to 0 improves ffb overall, he just told that ACC lacks soft-lock (thats the topic ive been telling year or half ago that ACC need soft lock like is in iracing, AMS2 etc)
that mean if bmw m6 gt3 has 570 deegree rotation you can set 0 in ACC and 570 in wheel then you have hard lock. ive been telling that sometimes due to lack of soft lock in ACC in some turns i may turn wheel more than i should, for example i turn it 650 dgrees and so 80 too much which does nothing and i may lose little time due to turning wheel then coming it back as there is no input at that 80 degrees. ive been telling that.
i tell TT idea is good but is not good for thrustmaster or logitec owners but for fanatic , osw as we can set us wheels while game is running its good, but then you must know actual lock for each car, or if you drive only one car (as i do) i think i might check this idea.. btw i know of this befor TT video but i think always i must set 570 on wheel and 570 in game, if i can set 0 in game and then i use always rotations from wheel thats good to know. i already in raceroom using that technique as its like-oppisite thing with raceroom. my wheel is kinda not supported to setting correct degrees and it seems like its always set 0 in raceroom. so i go into car setup i raceroom check them degree and set it in wheel. but i remember on my previous wheel t500rs it was working i had 1080 in wheel and raceroom setting it per car automatic. but now not with my osw: if i set 1180 in wheel then gt3 car in raceroom that has 540 degree drive as it was 1180 degrees..
but good thing in raceroom you have info for each car what degree it uses..
and i tell ACC need either soft lock , to lock us wheels at max rotation, or just info in car setup menu how rotation has car?
i tell you i drive only one car in ACC and i know how position my wheel to max, but then let my casuels play it and they turn wheel like it was road car and they dont know car wont turn more than 570 degree XDDD i must tell em dont turn more its max, and im kinda embarassed that its supposed to be simulator i spent money i could buy nice car and for them it looks like it dont work right.....
and last thing if i want to drive other cars that i know in ACC i basically have no knowledge how cars lock-to-lock is and that because i have virtual wheel turn off. so i must turn into 3rd person camera and turn wheel to max i see myself when wheels stop turning ...

• Deleted member 963434

And as for my suggestion to turn "road effects" up, it wasnt actually suggestion but more question to DD users if they use it? i saw Andrew use it with simucube which may be better wheel than mine cheapest osw. so im kinda reassured its nothing wrong with my wheel as i start to think it may be something wrong to it as i must increase road feel for it and people tell DD wheels dont need it.
and my suggestion again is not to make you faster but to feel more from road and more like-steering shaft feeling.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back