Upgrading monitor(s)

race_fanatic_

If you want to win, hire a...
Hi,

Been using a single 23.6 inch monitor - I also own a rift, but don't find it comfortable to use regularly and got an eye issue which also lessens the experience.

Would like some help regarding what I should go for. I don't find single screen bad but understand 3 is a lot better.

PC Specs:
i7-8700K
GeForce GTX 1080
(got 3 display ports) (pls ask for more specs if needed)

Firstly, I have gotten the impression that 27" is the way to go both for single or triple, especially as the monitors will be close to me.

What I don't know is what kind of specs on monitor I can buy to be able to use the performance with the PC I got. Am I right in saying I should go 1080 if I do triple and go 1440 for single? 144hz for both.

What panel type is prefered for simracing? I understand IPS is better, but is it worth the money, will it make a big difference? Also for G-sync, does it make much of a difference?

Highly appreciate some help! Thanks

I'm currently using a 32" ultrawide at 75hz and i love it. Would really love to sit in a setup with triples, and even a single ultra at 144hz though. I play a lot of Rocket League and can tell a difference in refresh rate pretty easily, so imagine sim racing is likely the same.

Upvote 0
Going to get the Simlabs triple monitor stand, good price and will be very sturdy and line everything up properly.

Regarding what monitors to get:
I was first looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C27G1-Frameless-DisplayPort-Adjustable/dp/B07GD5XG5G?tag=racedep-20

But then I found this, thinking it's better: https://www.amazon.com/VG278Q-G-Syn...ywords=VG278Q&qid=1567432521&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The impression I get is that the Asus VG278Q is a lot better option because it will use G-sync with my gtx1080 card? Pls let me know if I've misunderstood something. :roflmao:

Upvote 0
The ASUS would be better as Gsync compatable means it works properly with gsync with no blinking/blanking/ghosting or other nasties. However it would be interesting to know if Gsync compatible will do triple screen gsync on a 1080 card or will it also need a 20 series card to work. Id google that if I were you! But very nice looking monitor indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ASUS would be better as Gsync compatable means it works properly with gsync with no blinking/blanking/ghosting or other nasties. However it would be interesting to know if Gsync compatible will do triple screen gsync on a 1080 card or will it also need a 20 series card to work. Id google that if I were you! But very nice looking monitor indeed.
Good point, if I interpret it correctly there's no problem in that front.

NVIDIA Surround Available Now For G-SYNC Compatible Displays
Recently, we introduced support for NVIDIA Surround when using G-SYNC Compatible displays. That means you can now run three G-SYNC Compatible monitors simultaneously via DisplayPort, and play compatible multi-monitor games with Variable Refresh Rate technology for a smoother, more enjoyable experience.

To enable this mode, you’ll need:

1. A Turing-architecture GeForce RTX or GTX graphics card
  2. Windows 10, version 1809 or later
  3. Three identical G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors
  4. All monitors connected to the primary (master) GPU in SLI configurations
  5. A Surround resolution set in the NVIDIA Control Panel, rather than using the three monitors separately
For example, if you had three 1920x1080 monitors, the resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel must be set to 5760x1080 in Surround mode, rather than using the three monitors independently.

Upvote 0
@GEO147 Or does the "Turing-architecture" not include the 1080? :O_o:

Edit 1: I guess this monitor makes sense either way, mean it would be triple g-sync compatible if/when I upgrade card.

Edit 2: Trying again, GTX is only the 10XX right? So it would be triple g-sync compatible? Thought the "turing architecture" was needed which I found was just the 20-series, but only meant the rtx and that the gtx is also okay. Not easy when you know nothing about these things. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't say for sure and I'm not at my rig. But without spending huge money I would say the ASUS is a good choice. Mine are not gsync compatable or I would know for sure. Wish they were.
But if your gonna be honest with yourself you are gona need a better gpu to get the higher framerates anyway so you WILL be eyeing up 20 series cards the minute you fire up your triples.
If you knew for sure that gsync would work on those Asus straight out the box then you would get the max you can and dips wouldn't be jarring so you could wait a bit before splashing out on a 2080.
I'd Google gsync compatable in surrounf to see if you can get a definite answer tho .

Upvote 0
Well I did find the gtx is compatible so should get working g-sync.

I'm also aware I'm not gonna get great performance with the 1080. But atleast it's gonna work and I can later upgrade as you say.:)

Upvote 0
Well that's what I think it does.

"Recently, we introduced support for NVIDIA Surround when using G-SYNC Compatible displays"

"To enable this mode, you’ll need:

1. A Turing-architecture GeForce RTX or GTX graphics card"

I find it difficult to find other discussions on it tho. But in the end of the day, if it doesn't work then it doesn't. Atleast it is compatible if I upgrade card. So for the future the the monitor makes sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Received and driven with the Monitors now - really happy with the choise.

G-sync working in surround which made the monitors even more worth it. 1080p is alright, too big of a gap in price (and PC performance) for 1440 to make sense.

Automobilista runs steady 144hz - Assetto corsa can get close by lowering quality (haven't tried the worst quality to see if that gets steady 144hz but doubt it will in all situation - I don't really care about having to lower the quality, low quality still doesn't look bad, if I'd be bothered with it I'd buy a new graphics card but atleast for now I don't see the need for it (certainly don't think it's worth the money anyway).

Obviously important to set graphics settings up correctly in each game so the surroundings makes sense, really happy with how immersive it is and also helpful being able to look into corners and have the correct fov.

Still waiting for monitor mount from simlab.

Upvote 0
To the OP.

I'm running triple 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync monitors (Gigabyte Aorus IPS) on a 1080ti which are Gsync Compatible. You do not require a 20 series card for gysnc compatible freesync screen to work with Nvidia surround. I've no issue running them with pretty high graphic levels on most sims. AC I've no troubles hitting 100fps on a packed grid, higher for for RF2, Iracing was about the same. Only time i get big frame drops is around dawn or dusk with lights on, then dips to about 60-70 range.

You definitely want to go for a high refresh rate screen and ideally with adaptive sync tech. Get the biggest size screens and best screens you can afford, you will not regret it.

I did try super widescreen 49" but for me the immersion was nowhere near as good as a triple screen setup. Just an extra thought for you.

You can find some videos in the Assetto Corsa and RF2 video sections of my rig and these screens in action. On a 1080 I'd say 1440p is asking a bit to much, you might get away with medium in game graphic settings but you'd definitely want some eye candy at 1440p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back