Upgrade from G29

Hi there!

Well, i know this is common topic but i cannot find a recent one so i'm asking for it.

I'm thinking about moving from my G29 to a CSL DD with the McLaren wheel but i would like to know if you have a different opinion of which path i should follow in terms of upgrading.

I play ACC and RFactor2, i'm not into Rally.

Thanks!

I'd suggest a Simagic alpha mini as an alternative route (fanatec DD1 owner here).

The CSL base is ok. Not great, but good. The McLaren wheel ( I have a v2 ) is ok. but a little plastic-ey. Good functionality, but still.

I honestly think the Mini (and whatever wheel you fancy) is a better route, although a little dearer.

Kinda wish I'd gone that route as I'm a little stuck in the ecosystem now.

Hi DobleV,

As ColinMac points out once you've chosen an ecosystem it's easier to stay within it, although on PC you can mix and match with a little more work.

If you can live with buying used then I'd take a CSW 2.5 over a CSL DD - I think my old belt drive base is smoother and at least as powerful as a friend's CSL 8Nm, you can pick them up really cheap and then get some CSW v3 pedals instead of CSL ones.

I went from a G920 to a TS-XW to the CSW 2.5 and each upgrade was worth it. As I now have quite a few Fanatec wheels I might get a used DD1 when they're a bit cheaper, but from what I've read they're 10-20% better at 300-400% the price.

Every ecosystem has fans and haters, and most bases have some weak points, even if it's the software / support side of things. I can say that a CSW 2.5, v3 pedals and the McLaren wheel would be a huge step up from Logitech's starter gear, with a big jump in smoothness, power, accuracy and pedal feel (with a load-cell brake) - but so would any modern DD base with a decent wheel and load-cell pedals.

With adapters (and SRM!) you can fit most wheels to most bases, but Fanatec have a pretty good line up at reasonable prices - I don't think there's another wheel with rotary encoders and analogue clutch paddles like the McLaren for £200ish, which is why they're very popular, but they are just a little bit plastic-y.

HTH,
Paul

I'd suggest a Simagic alpha mini as an alternative route (fanatec DD1 owner here).

The CSL base is ok. Not great, but good. The McLaren wheel ( I have a v2 ) is ok. but a little plastic-ey. Good functionality, but still.

I honestly think the Mini (and whatever wheel you fancy) is a better route, although a little dearer.

Kinda wish I'd gone that route as I'm a little stuck in the ecosystem now.
That's too much money.
Alpha mini costs as much as CSL DD 8NM with wheel and pedals.
Although i know it's a great brand, i prefer not to give such a big step from G29 but thanks for sharing me your experience, so much appreciated :)

Hi DobleV,

As ColinMac points out once you've chosen an ecosystem it's easier to stay within it, although on PC you can mix and match with a little more work.

If you can live with buying used then I'd take a CSW 2.5 over a CSL DD - I think my old belt drive base is smoother and at least as powerful as a friend's CSL 8Nm, you can pick them up really cheap and then get some CSW v3 pedals instead of CSL ones.

I went from a G920 to a TS-XW to the CSW 2.5 and each upgrade was worth it. As I now have quite a few Fanatec wheels I might get a used DD1 when they're a bit cheaper, but from what I've read they're 10-20% better at 300-400% the price.

Every ecosystem has fans and haters, and most bases have some weak points, even if it's the software / support side of things. I can say that a CSW 2.5, v3 pedals and the McLaren wheel would be a huge step up from Logitech's starter gear, with a big jump in smoothness, power, accuracy and pedal feel (with a load-cell brake) - but so would any modern DD base with a decent wheel and load-cell pedals.

With adapters (and SRM!) you can fit most wheels to most bases, but Fanatec have a pretty good line up at reasonable prices - I don't think there's another wheel with rotary encoders and analogue clutch paddles like the McLaren for £200ish, which is why they're very popular, but they are just a little bit plastic-y.

HTH,
Paul
I looked for that belt base from Fanatec but it costs 50€ less than a new CSL DD. Second hand market is crazy here, even G29 is at 250€.

Not to take from DobleV here, but I too am a G29 user and looking at upgrading all the way to Simagic Alpha U. I know that is a huge jump, but I have the budget to make the jump all the way and figured why not go for the top. I have been doing a bunch of research and decided that Simagic is the ecosystem I will be going with. I'm wondering if any of you can offer advice about not going all the way and maybe go to a 9nm Mini or the 15nm Alpha instead. I really only want to have to upgrade once. It's not often the Mrs. Let's me drop this kind of money on a hobby.

Thanks in advance

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea