Understanding Formula 1 Strategy in 2013

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Since Pirelli took over from Bridgestone, F1 has had a lot of exciting races. During the era of Bridgestone, qualifying was the most important part of the weekend, as the driver on Pole would (Unless something crazy happened) go on to win the race after a one stop strategy.

It was predictable, and the drivers were able to go full pace for the majority of a Grand Prix. This would mean that the leaders could overlap the entire field, sometimes even overlapping the back markers two to four times. This was normal, it showed who had the most superior machinery, paired with an excellent driver. Michael Schumacher took advantage of this formula and won more World titles then any driver could dream of.

Now it is completely different. What we have now are new concepts like turbo boost KERS, and super speed DRS. Passing moves seem a bit too easy, and there is usually no reason to fight for position in these instances. The fastest drivers still make their way to the front, but have it easy. This results in less full on wheel-to-wheel combat, spectacular crashing, and drama.

We end up having more drivers in the hunt for points. Drivers are less likely to get into trouble, so they can focus on their lap times and go after points. Tire management and consistent lap times have become the ultimate key to success in the Pirelli era. Ironically, the races that saw durable Pirelli tires (India comes to mind) would be the most boring races. The front runners stormed out in front, did a pit stop, then took their positions again when the others came in.

In China, we saw the most extreme option tire, arguably in the whole history of F1. They wore out so badly, no one wanted to have them on for any long period of time, however, when used correctly, could provide some excellent speed. Vettel did this in the latter stages of the Grand Prix, almost gaining a podium for it, He was pumping in qualifying laps over and over to reduce the deficit, but ran out of laps.

I found a great lap chart on this website:

After some playing around with the chart, I got to see just how tire strategy worked for some, and how it was disastrous for others. Without a doubt, the best race strategy was to get the soft tires out of the way from the beginning. Most of those who qualified on soft tires in Q3 ended in good positions, while others ended up going backwards. Let's have a look at these drivers.

Notice the trend? Despite the front runners falling back into the field, the ongoing trend for most, is that they consistently move forward. Alonso managed his tires perfectly, he was able to get past the likes of Button who was on the other strategy, and this worked amazingly for him. However two drivers did not make this strategy work, and they are Grosjean and Massa.​

Massa had a really bad second stint, that only say him complete 12 laps. He was unable to follow the surge of Alonso, and found himself out of the top five before getting rid of his first set of mediums. Grosjean had a similar situation, but in his third stint, where he completed 14 laps, and as you can see, he was going backwards and forwards throughout the stint, possibly struggling to get them to work, and fighting in traffic.

This proves that there is a correct tire strategy, but it is more important to get them switched on, and make your way through traffic as quickly as possible. Hanging behind traffic for too long causes the drivers to have to pit in earlier, meaning a major compromise. It is just as important not to fight against those drivers that are on a totally different strategy, because fighting them means extra wear on the tires, which again hinders strategy.

True racing only seems to occur when 1) It is for the podium positions or 2) The driver ahead/behind is on the same strategy. We saw this between Vettel and Webber, in Malaysia despite being on different strategies, and the team order. With less actual "racing", as in, two drivers doing absolutely everything to get past, it means those instances are immediately highlighted and have more of an "epic" feel.

Let's have a look at the other strategy. Those who started on the harder tire, the medium compound.

As you may have noticed, this strategy did not work as well as drivers hoped. These drivers felt they did not have the pace of the front runners, which included Vettel. He had no confidence in starting on the soft tire strategy, but he was able to maximize the alternative strategy. Jenson Button and Paul Di Resta also made the strategy work, with Jenson only pitting twice, and Di Resta doing only three laps on the soft tire. Button did the longest stint on the medium tire then anyone else in the race, 26 laps in his second stint.

Vettel could have gained a podium on the day, but got stuck in traffic earlier in the race. If he had been able to pass them, he may have grown wings and flew past Hamiltion in the latter stages on soft tires.

The biggest losers of this strategy were Perez and Hulkenberg. Perez could not duplicate what Button did, he was unable to make it work and had incidents with other drivers. Hulkenberg was very unlucky, as he had lead the race for a number of laps, however he tried a completely different strategy by using softs in the middle of the race. He did seven laps on them and fell back even more, and was unable to make up ground on his final stint. He went backwards in the second half.

At the back of the field, the biggest winner was Bottas, who managed to outperform his team mate and came home in front of him, despite starting behind. He made his medium tire strategy work better then Pastor's soft strategy. Pastor did seven laps on the soft in the beginning, and Bottas did five laps of softs at the end. If Bottas had qualified a few positions higher, he was guaranteed a points position.

Is it right for F1 to be this complicated on its strategy? It could be confusing to new fans, as they would not understand why one driver simply allows another to fly through when they could have defended more. On the other hand, is this what F1 really needs? For the fans to have no idea who will actually win?

Back in the day, you could guess who would win between one or two drivers, but now, you could have half a dozen possible challengers for the top step. It is a bit more of a lottery, depending on certain factors, but the best teams, and the true champions are still going to rise to the top, and achieve glory.
View the Post on the Blog

Pirelli has done a good job on managing the tire compounds. Pit stops are more important to the race then they have ever been, and that appeals to fans who like watching pit stops. I think Formula One drivers could be a little more aggressive, but with the risk of blocking penalties and crashing, they won't. I know the main focus these days is on safety, but with increased safety is the cost of watching a good, rough, tight battle for the win. And the team orders are terrible, they take the fun out of teammates racing each other like Senna and Prost. Formula One needs to be reformed. Bring back the V10s, get rid of Bernie, just fix the damn sport. 2014 is gonna suck, and I feel like Formula One will not be the same again.

So much negativity for a season that is not even close to starting. How do you not know that 2014 won't be the greatest season in the history or racing?
I'm excited about Russia and the GP of America in New Jersey, but I think Formula One is focused too much on safety in 2014. I'm not saying safety is a bad thing, it just kind of takes the excitement of racing out with the 15,000 RPM V6s and focusing more on the boost systems to pass. It's not tough racing anymore, it's just that money means more research and more research means better parts, and better parts means you get to the front and you'll see the same people contending for the championship every year...

So much negativity for a season that is not even close to starting. How do you not know that 2014 won't be the greatest season in the history or racing?
I'm excited about Russia and the GP of America in New Jersey, but I think Formula One is focused too much on safety in 2014. I'm not saying safety is a bad thing, it just kind of takes the excitement of racing out with the 15,000 RPM V6s and focusing more on the boost systems to pass. It's not tough racing anymore, it's just that money means more research and more research means better parts, and better parts means you get to the front and you'll see the same people contending for the championship every year...
That has always been the case in F1, even more so back in the Bridgestone days.
Bringing more safety is never a bad thing in any sport.

That has always been the case in F1, even more so back in the Bridgestone days.
Bringing more safety is never a bad thing in any sport.
But it isn't fun seeing Vettel lead/win every other week by 10-15 seconds. And I don't like how teams aren't treating drivers equally, but that's always been the case as well.... Nothing we can do.

I can get a car one stopping or two stopping. But 3 stops is insane. I have seen it attempted many times and fall apart. Not counting stops for car maintenance to car or wet tires.

Bring back the V10s
V10s ?? I think the old V12 engines would be a better choice ;)
The reason we dont have V12 is the Kers device is big and heavy. Kers and a V12 would be a longer heaver chassis. F1 is all about being light. Wen i run R07 i stay away from V12 engines in sports cars Just V4 V6 or V8 Maybe a V10. There less of a dog to drive. Alain Prost quoted the Ferrari as a truck without power steering. V12s are also not environmentally friendly more fuel and oil ect.

Alain Prost quoted the Ferrari as a truck without power steering.
Alain Prost complained more than he drove fast laps so I always ignored the guy ;)
V12s are also not environmentally friendly more fuel and oil ect.
I also ignore Pro Eco Friendly hippies : They ruin everything that has to do with cars or any kind of fun :(

Don't get me wrong : The first Tesla car based on the Lotus Elise is something I wouldn't mind having at all but next to that I would also like to have something like a Dodge RAM SRT-10 :D Not because it makes sense or because I need such a pickup but because it's FUN !!! ;)

sbblakey777

You would have hated it back in the day when Ferrari were dominant purely because of their budget, and Schumacher just being naturally fitter and more consistent then anyone.

F1 became so predictable, that they lost viewers, and it was very obvious who was going to win, and if his team mate (Barrichello usually) was in front, nine times out of ten, he was going to let Schumacher through for the win. Schumacher could lap most of the field, including the front runners at one point.

At the moment, Red Bull have Adrian Newey, and as long as Red Bull have Adrian Newey and someone like Vettel, expect Red Bull to continue to be front runners no matter what the rules state. At least the racing is more unpredictable now, even with the biggest budgets, you still see teams like Force India, Sauber and Williams picking up podiums. That would have never happened in the old days.

The speed is still there. I just dont like the V6 Turbo there talking about. It buzzes like a electric motor. Remember Benetton Dominated with V8s Back when Ferrari had V12s and Williams had V10

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back