F1M23 Ultimate F1 Manager 23 Modding Tutorial

Ultimate F1 Manager 23 Modding Tutorial

What you need:

UnrealPak (download link)
Unreal 5.1.1 (download Epic Games then Unreal 5.1.1)
Locres Unpacker (you can change team names or other things with it)
FModel (easy to export Locres File [to change team names etc] - download link)
UModel (easily export texture files - download link)
Photoshop or other image editor (i only know how to use Photoshop)

Drive folder with softwares downloads: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hUT90pHt0nl2tVyUslNJ-MOMHY8WD1Xv?usp=drive_link

How you do it:

1. How to Export Locres and Texture Files:

- Open FModel and click on the double arrows to ADD UNDETECTED GAME

1.png

- Put the name you want and the Steam Directory for your game
- Click on the blue + button

2.png

- Click on OK, then FModel will tell you to restart the app, click OK again
- Click on Directory at the upper left then click AES and insert this key: 0x43A5CEC244E89A3E109E14EDE787569E79C9CDECBB09857C6FEF080F14898EF9
- A list of Game Archives will appear, the main .pak to open is "pakchunk0-Windows.pak", click to open the folders

3.png

The path to the Locres File:

Content > Localization > Volta > en [or the language you play of course] = and export uasset Volta.locres

After that, if you click on Settings the Output Directory is the place where every exported uasset are, open this folder

2. How to edit Team Names with the Volta.locres file using FModel

- Find the Volta.locres file inside FModel exports
- After you extracted the Locres Unpacker, just drag the Volta.locres file to the UE4-Locres-Unpacker.exe, it will create a Volta text document, open it
- Use the 'Replace word' in your text editor software, and change whatever you want, save, and drag the changed Volta text document to UE4-Locres-Unpacker.exe, it will create a Volta-new.locres, change the name to Volta.locres just to make sure you wont forget cuz we will need this exactly name

4.png

3. How to export and edit Textures using UModel and Photoshop

- Open umodel_materials_ue5, put the Path to Steam and F1 Manager 23
- Click on Override game detection - Unreal engine 4 on the left and Unreal engine 5.1 on the right, and click ok

5.png

- UModel will ask for the AES Key, its the same as we used on FModel: 0x43A5CEC244E89A3E109E14EDE787569E79C9CDECBB09857C6FEF080F14898EF9
- It will open lots of folders, like it happened when we used FModel

The path to important textures:

Cars liveries: Game > Cars > TeamCars > TeamCars2023 > [TEAM NAME] > Textures = select the uassets files inside Textures and click on Export, then export to the folder you want and i recommend you to use TGA Texture Format

Team logos: Game > Headquarters > HQ_TeamBranding > [TEAM NAME] > Textures

UITextures > TeamLogos > Full/Notification/Small/Standard

6.png

7.png

4. Editing Textures

To this part, i will not make a complete tutorial, as im not an expert designer or anything, i will just try to help to avoid the little problems that i encountered

- In the UModel folder you choose to export the textures, open then with Photoshop
- After you edited what you want, you need to be careful with a few things:

In liveries masks, you need to use green/blue saturated colors on areas that have colors different than the darker ones (at least is what i think, cuz when i not used these saturated colors the livery was strange in game)

8.png

In the logos files, create a black background layer, click on channels, select your logo area, and save the selection as a channel, if you dont do this, the logo will be without the transparent background

9.png

- Save the textures as TGA

5. Transforming your changes on new uassets files using Unreal Engine 5.1.1

- Open the UE 5.1.1 and create a new project

You will need to change some settings, or nothing will work:

Click on Plaforms > Packaging Settings > Set Use Pak File to False (just unclick the blue tick) and set Cook everything in the project content directory to True

10.png

11.png
- On the bottom left of UE, open the Content Drawer
- You will need to create the exactly same folders as when you extracted from UModel (the Image 12 has the example with Aston Martin
- After created the folders, just drag the correct TGA Textures to their respective folders

12.png

- You can just ignore "StartContent" Folder, i personally change this on UE: Edit > Project Settings > Packaging > Advanced > Directories to never cook = and add "StarterContent"
- Now that we set the folders we click on Platforms > Windows > Cook Content

13.png

- Wait till finish, then find your Epic Games folder, enter the Projects > MyProject > Saved > Cooked > Windows > MyProject > Content = and then we will find the folders you created, with uasset files of the textures, copy the folders (like Cars, Headquarters, UITextures etc)

6. Creating new .pak and finishing our mods

- Open UnrealPak, i already put your mod folder (the folder name will be the exactly .pak file name), i always name my mods like "pakchunk0-MODNAME_2_P", i dont know exactly why, but if i do not name with "_2_P" the mod wont work
- Inside the mod folder, we will have the path: f1manager23 > Content = and then folders like Cars, Headquarters, UITextures, its here where you will copy the Unreal Engine project folders

6.1. Remember the Volta.locres file that we changed team names or things like that? Now, you will use the file

- Copy the "Localization" folder we exported with FModel
- Put the "Localization" folder inside the "Content" folder on UnrealPak (Image 14 show the paths)

14.png

You CAN mod more than one thing at the same time, you dont need to mod just one team, or just one folder (like just Cars, or just Localization) - i personally prefer to not do the things together just to keep the things organized

- After you finished setting up the folders, now you will drag "pakchunk0-NAMEYOURMOD_2_P" to UnrealPak-Without-Compression (i only used this, dont know if it will work with the Compressed version)
- Then a cmd windows will appear and a new .pak file will be created, thats your finished mod

15.png

7. Install your mod

- Well, this part i think everyone will know, just copy the .pak file to "Paks" folder inside the Steam F1 Manager 23 folder, and your mod is done
- Just make sure to not install two mods with the same changes, like same team livery or logo to avoid errors (i did this and take a LONG TIME to understand what i was doing wrong)

Credits:

- FluffyQuack the creator of the UnrealPak (https://www.fluffyquack.com/tools/)
- Reddit u/bluestillidie00 with the tutorial to use the UModel with F1 Manager 23 (https://www.reddit.com/r/F1ManagerMods/comments/15cd1dh/how_to_use_umodel_with_f1_manager_2023/)
- carefreeduck with F1 Manager 2022 tutorials on how to Unpack/repack Files (https://github.com/carefreeduck/F1ManagerModding/blob/main/Packing.md)
- lehieugch68, creator of the UE4-Locres-Unpacker (https://github.com/lehieugch68/UE4-Locres-Unpacker/releases/tag/1.0.0.0)
- Lurcesaptor, racedepartment.com user who helped me on lots of things about modding

(Obs: If i forgot to mention anyone, please tell me it wasnt on purpose)
(Obs²: Also, i put every software you need (besides Photoshop) on a google drive to easily downloads, but i dont know if i can do this, cuz im not the owner or creator of any software, so if someone wants me to delete the download, tell me)
(Obs³: Hope it helps you guys, im not a native english speaker so i may have written something wrong XD)

what doesnt work? maybe i can help
Hi,
Thanks for instructions, i downloaded 5.1.1 , I opened UE viewer startup otpion (umodel win32) and i click on Override game detection, put Unreal engine 4 on the left but on the right i only see Unreal engine 4.1 to 4.27 , ( there not Unreal engine 5.1 on the right)
Do you what i did wrong ?

Hi,
Thanks for instructions, i downloaded 5.1.1 , I opened UE viewer startup otpion (umodel win32) and i click on Override game detection, put Unreal engine 4 on the left but on the right i only see Unreal engine 4.1 to 4.27 , ( there not Unreal engine 5.1 on the right)
Do you what i did wrong ?
need open file - umodel_materials_ue5.exe

IMPORTANT NOTE: to change teams' names, even if you use a different game's language, change the english volta; otherwise it won't work.

Last edited:
Hello anyone got any luck editing the racesim stuff? the variables in the RaceSimDataAsset. Seems like FModel can only parse a small part of the RaceSimDataAsset.uasset. Thanks.

Would this work for the 22 version (changing the necessary things here and there.
(Edit: im trying to change the radio files idk if that is even possible tho)

Last edited:
I truly hate unreal engine 5.1.1. Spent all day (literally 16 hours) making a lovely black and red Nissan design for everything from car to crew suits to have to stop because cooking is apparently going to take me 3-5 working days.

I truly hate unreal engine 5.1.1. Spent all day (literally 16 hours) making a lovely black and red Nissan design for everything from car to crew suits to have to stop because cooking is apparently going to take me 3-5 working days.
And it didn't even work, launched game and it said it was corrupted. I hate everything.

Cook project doesn't works for me. When it says, it's done, all I get in the project cook content directory are some strange files, but not the folder structures with the edited textures.

Attachments

• moddingprob.png
    moddingprob.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
View attachment 713786- On the bottom left of UE, open the Content Drawer
- You will need to create the exactly same folders as when you extracted from UModel (the Image 12 has the example with Aston Martin
- After created the folders, just drag the correct TGA Textures to their respective folders

View attachment 713787
- You can just ignore "StartContent" Folder, i personally change this on UE: Edit > Project Settings > Packaging > Advanced > Directories to never cook = and add "StarterContent"
- Now that we set the folders we click on Platforms > Windows > Cook Content

View attachment 713788
- Wait till finish, then find your Epic Games folder, enter the Projects > MyProject > Saved > Cooked > Windows > MyProject > Content = and then we will find the folders you created, with uasset files of the textures, copy the folders (like Cars, Headquarters, UITextures etc)

6. Creating new .pak and finishing our mods

- Open UnrealPak, i already put your mod folder (the folder name will be the exactly .pak file name), i always name my mods like "pakchunk0-MODNAME_2_P", i dont know exactly why, but if i do not name with "_2_P" the mod wont work
- Inside the mod folder, we will have the path: f1manager23 > Content = and then folders like Cars, Headquarters, UITextures, its here where you will copy the Unreal Engine project folders

6.1. Remember the Volta.locres file that we changed team names or things like that? Now, you will use the file

- Copy the "Localization" folder we exported with FModel
- Put the "Localization" folder inside the "Content" folder on UnrealPak (Image 14 show the paths)

View attachment 713789

You CAN mod more than one thing at the same time, you dont need to mod just one team, or just one folder (like just Cars, or just Localization) - i personally prefer to not do the things together just to keep the things organized

- After you finished setting up the folders, now you will drag "pakchunk0-NAMEYOURMOD_2_P" to UnrealPak-Without-Compression (i only used this, dont know if it will work with the Compressed version)
- Then a cmd windows will appear and a new .pak file will be created, thats your finished mod

View attachment 713790

7. Install your mod

- Well, this part i think everyone will know, just copy the .pak file to "Paks" folder inside the Steam F1 Manager 23 folder, and your mod is done
- Just make sure to not install two mods with the same changes, like same team livery or logo to avoid errors (i did this and take a LONG TIME to understand what i was doing wrong)

Credits:

- FluffyQuack the creator of the UnrealPak (https://www.fluffyquack.com/tools/)
- Reddit u/bluestillidie00 with the tutorial to use the UModel with F1 Manager 23 (https://www.reddit.com/r/F1ManagerMods/comments/15cd1dh/how_to_use_umodel_with_f1_manager_2023/)
- carefreeduck with F1 Manager 2022 tutorials on how to Unpack/repack Files (https://github.com/carefreeduck/F1ManagerModding/blob/main/Packing.md)
- lehieugch68, creator of the UE4-Locres-Unpacker (https://github.com/lehieugch68/UE4-Locres-Unpacker/releases/tag/1.0.0.0)
- Lurcesaptor, racedepartment.com user who helped me on lots of things about modding

(Obs: If i forgot to mention anyone, please tell me it wasnt on purpose)
(Obs²: Also, i put every software you need (besides Photoshop) on a google drive to easily downloads, but i dont know if i can do this, cuz im not the owner or creator of any software, so if someone wants me to delete the download, tell me)
(Obs³: Hope it helps you guys, im not a native english speaker so i may have written something wrong XD)
Sadly didnt work for me | I feel like a video tutorial would make it a lot easier, maybe someone can make one. :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.