Triples w/single GTX980 - possible?

Sorry if this has been beat to death but I did search and didn't find anything discussing this in the past 3-4 months. Is it reasonable to think RF2 can be run on triples with a single GTX 980 (super clocked)?

I have been running the demo's over the past year and never could get good looking graphics with a single card (was running a GTX780, recent upgrade to GTX980) but I'm not familiar with all of the settings - what works well or what is the most demanding.
Note, I can run AC and GSCE at most every thing maxed, R3E high to max, and pCARS medium to high, and still get a pretty good looking game. The only thing holding me back is buying RF2 is getting it to run decent at 5860x1080 vSynced at 60. Each game seems to have a setting or two that drains the frame-rate and in some cases the bang-for-the-look isn't worth it as the difference is minimal.
Thanks in advance...

My 6970 has the power for 5760x1080 gaming. When I first started playing R3E, I could play it on high with no problems.
Now, Low settings gives me 50-60 fps.
High, my gpu throttles to 30 fps (barely playable).

It's the heat that is the problem. The card goes to 104C in a heartbeat on high settings and is running hot in older games that never taxed this gpu before.

I probably have to re-apply thermal paste and re-apply the cooler. I have the supplies around here somewhere, it's just going through 20 boxes to find 2 little tiny tubes.

But I was thinking that gpu bus might give me a few extra frames on high settings, once I fix the overheating problem.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back