Traction loss options for Sim-Lab P1-X...

I will be upgrading my chassis soon and want to make sure that what I buy is compatible with the motion system that I eventually want to have. I'm pretty much sold on the P1-X. It seems like D-Box is a good option for motion for that chassis. I would like to have a traction loss motion system though (tail end of chassis swinging left or right), and I can't seem to find any options for how to make that work with a P1-X.

Does anyone know of a way to get both motion and traction loss going on a P1-X?

most end up putting the P1 on top of a traction loss platform. The only other way I have seen is not to move the platform but to rotate the seat that is on the P1.

Pros and cons there. With the seat rotating, you are rotating while controls are not but I image that the motion is a lot more pronounced than the platform moving.

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar boat. I'm thinking I will get the nlr v3 for my p1x and then add the pt actuator traction loss:

Another option would be to add the nlr v3 and the nlr traction plus but that would involve some diy to make it all fit. Also the nlr traction plus has a weight limit you you would have to be careful there.

Theres also prosimu.

But from what I've read the prosimu is very loud.

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar boat. I'm thinking I will get the nlr v3 for my p1x and then add the pt actuator traction loss:

Another option would be to add the nlr v3 and the nlr traction plus but that would involve some diy to make it all fit. Also the nlr traction plus has a weight limit you you would have to be careful there.

Theres also prosimu.

But from what I've read the prosimu is very loud.

I know the thread is about TL and I dont mean to change your mind but I would seriously think about dropping the TL and the NLR v3 and go for the PT 4 actuator setup for nearly $1k less overall.

Only my opinion but I think the 4 actuators as a platform mover are a lot nicer than a seat mover with TL.

Upvote 0
Has anyone developed a turntable style/direct drive platform that can freely rotate a platform 360 degrees with decent fidelity/velocity/direction change? Would make spinouts pretty entertaining as well - would need to make sure everything (including monitors) were solidly attached/no sway/tip over/etc.

EDIT: Found this 6 DOF from PT Actuator which incorporates a rotation plate: http://www.pt-actuator.com/a/products/p3/83.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a P1-X with a NLRv3 and was thinking about the Surge/TL platform from PT Actuator but its very bulky and after taxes it would be getting on for £5k. I did a bit of searching and came across Symdeck. They have a modular setup including a surge and TL platform (https://symdeck.com/home/options/).

They were very helpful with my enquiries and after swapping a few emails I decided to go ahead and have ordered both the surge and TL.

I only ordered last week so don't have them yet but I'll report back when I get them and have them set up.

Upvote 0
I would be careful with using a P1-X on a symdeck. The motion base has a 200kg limit and the TL’s is 250kg. The P1-X frame alone weighs 55kg... add in 10-15kg for a DD wheel and pedals, another 10kg for the seat, 20kg for monitors and mounts, + more for button boxes, shifters, etc. Not much, if any, headroom once you add in another 100-150kg for the driver. Would be concerned about overdriving the actuators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would be careful with using a P1-X on a symdeck. TheIt motion base has a 200kg limit and the TL’s is 250kg. Not much, if any, headroom once you add the weight of the driver. Would be concerned about overdriving the actuators.

Thanks everyone for your comments... this is really helping me decide on some things.

Regarding the weight issue... I’ve been looking at the Prosimu P5MP, which lists max weight as 200kg, but when you look at the footnote, it specifies “Max weight per actuator for optimal performance.” So... max weight PER ACTUATOR - does that mean you’re roughly looking at a max weight of 800kg, since each actuator (in theory) is bearing 1/4 of the load?

Upvote 0
does that mean you’re roughly looking at a max weight of 800kg, since each actuator (in theory) is bearing 1/4 of the load?

Not sure about Promisu, but D-Box specs are 250LBS (not KG) per actuator. This is spread across the total load, so limit would be 1000lbs. for a 4 actuator set-up. The 5th actuator doing TL would probably be ok b/c it's a lateral push on a roller vs. a lift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would be careful with using a P1-X on a symdeck. The motion base has a 200kg limit and the TL’s is 250kg. The P1-X frame alone weighs 55kg... add in 10-15kg for a DD wheel and pedals, another 10kg for the seat, 20kg for monitors and mounts, + more for button boxes, shifters, etc. Not much, if any, headroom once you add in another 100-150kg for the driver. Would be concerned about overdriving the actuators.

Luckily I'm not too weighty! I did the maths beforehand and although its getting towards the top end I'll still be within tolerance

Upvote 0
May I suggest this one that is P1-X compatible and can handle lots of load?

Or pre-built platform:

Upvote 0
Or pre-built platform:

So is this second option considered “plug and play”? I’m horrible at building things - I really just want a product with minimal DIY, a company that offers a warranty, etc.

BTW - For anyone interested - Prosimu did get back to me and let me know that yes, it is 800kg max for all 4 actuators. They obviously recommend less weight to give a long lifespan for the product.

Upvote 0
So is this second option considered “plug and play”? I’m horrible at building things - I really just want a product with minimal DIY, a company that offers a warranty, etc.

No. It is a kit that you will need to assemble. Barry Rowland just did a 3 part/5 hour review it and goes through the build on a granular level. His take was that it is "a complex but not difficult build"

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Upvote 0
what about these guys
https://eracing-lab.com/collections/diy-projects/products/diy-mega

they offer a complete kit for the SFX100... that is a lotcheaper than PT ... what is the catch ?

Its grounds-up DIY assembly actuators, and you still end up with SFX100 type actuators (push only).

But as I just noticed, they show on their website an AMC-AASD15A controller... obviously just being compatible with their actuators as they are not authorized for selling this along their kit...

But posting photo of the AMC-AASD15A on their product? I'll have to investigate this... brb

IMG_20200818_180349.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what do you mean by 'push only' ? are the PT actuator push AND pull ?

Yes, on PT-ACTUATOR actuators, the rod is secured and can also pull in same force. Same actuators, longer with attachments are used on 6DOF platforms that is absolutely necessary to have Push-pull actuators.

And you need Push-pull actuators for TL or Surge, otherwise if you try to use a standard SFX-100 actuator for surge for example, you will be handed the shaft as soon as the actuator tries to pull in the whole rig load...

Upvote 0
What is your take between 3 actuators vs 4 actuators ?
I saw good thread here
Explaining how 3 actuators were actually offering better motion.

I am really tempted to add this to my P1X but I want to keep it as compact as possible in terms of footprint. I am actually wondering if I could install all the servo controler within the base of the P1X ? anybody's done that yet :) ?

Upvote 0
also curious, PT actuators seemed to offer in the past a single connection box for their 3 actuators ? is that still available ? I like the idea of a very compact controller, even thought it is limited to maximum 3 actuators.

img_20190728_144836-jpg.64385

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes