Traction loss options for Sim-Lab P1-X...

I will be upgrading my chassis soon and want to make sure that what I buy is compatible with the motion system that I eventually want to have. I'm pretty much sold on the P1-X. It seems like D-Box is a good option for motion for that chassis. I would like to have a traction loss motion system though (tail end of chassis swinging left or right), and I can't seem to find any options for how to make that work with a P1-X.

Does anyone know of a way to get both motion and traction loss going on a P1-X?

also curious, PT actuators seemed to offer in the past a single connection box for their 3 actuators ? is that still available ? I like the idea of a very compact controller, even thought it is limited to maximum 3 actuators.

img_20190728_144836-jpg.64385

Yeah remember those days (a few years ago... ) . That little controller is an AMC-NANO... designed specifically for these 3in1 servo units...

IMG_20200819_190630.jpg

Upvote 0
Its grounds-up DIY assembly actuators, and you still end up with SFX100 type actuators (push only).

But as I just noticed, they show on their website an AMC-AASD15A controller... obviously just being compatible with their actuators as they are not authorized for selling this along their kit...

But posting photo of the AMC-AASD15A on their product? I'll have to investigate this... brb

View attachment 399449
Hi Thanos,

How this ended up? As I can still see that they are offering your product with the MEGA+ version.

Are they trustworthy? What is your opinion?

Kind regards,
Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Thanos,

How this ended up? As I can still see that they are offering your product with the MEGA+ version.

Kind regards,
Denis

there a quite a few people happy with their DIY Kits, but I also read about some complaints about the quality of some of their parts (I think it was about the ball screws). And they actually selling the PT Actuator branded Thanos controller in their Mega+ kit.

The good news is: you wouldn't need to beg to get a Sponsor ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Thanos,

Kind regards,
Denis

I got my 3 x PT Mega-monster actuator / Thanos / SRS system last year and PT were nothing but professional. Communication and after sales support were all really good.

Very happy with the product - Rock solid and over engineered if anything. Lifts my loaded P1x with ease.

Personally, I have no problem recommending PT as a company, and TBH am surprised when I hear anything negative about them as my experience couldn't have been better.

Upvote 0
Hi Thanos,

Kind regards,
Denis

There was a deal to offer the AMC-AASD15A via PT-ACTUATOR with their logos kept on the metal enclosures... You know, eRacing lab being not requiring any 3D printing etc...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got my 3 x PT Mega-monster actuator / Thanos / SRS system last year and PT were nothing but professional. Communication and after sales support were all really good.

Very happy with the product - Rock solid and over engineered if anything. Lifts my loaded P1x with ease.

Personally, I have no problem recommending PT as a company, and TBH am surprised when I hear anything negative about them as my experience couldn't have been better.

my comment related to eracing lab not PT, just in case you meant my comment.

Upvote 0
my comment related to eracing lab not PT, just in case you meant my comment.
Ah, sorry - I misunderstood. Thumbs up for PT anyway ;)

P.S. PT might even still have some discounted mega monster 100mm kits remaining. I only got mine because of a promo before the scorpion launch. It’s worth asking if your interested as my 3 x actuator kit wasn’t much more than the eracing once vat and delivery are added. I dismissed Dbox 1.5” travel as insufficient, but in reality 100mm is more than enough for circuit racing. I rarely use more than 50mm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, sorry - I misunderstood. Thumbs up for PT anyway ;)

P.S. PT might even still have some discounted mega monster 100mm kits remaining. I only got mine because of a promo before the scorpion launch. It’s worth asking if your interested as my 3 x actuator kit wasn’t much more than the eracing once vat and delivery are added. I dismissed Dbox 1.5” travel as insufficient, but in reality 100mm is more than enough for circuit racing. I rarely use more than 50mm

Thank for the feedback! So in any case you think that the MEGA+ which comes with 150mm is overdimensioned? However, is unfortunately the only one that comes with the Thanos board. The normal MEGA one has the Arduino included instead.
There is a difference between the two also on the performance/feeling side (i.e. traction loss is better reproduced in Thanos then on Arduino) or just on the future expansion side?

Upvote 0
Thank for the feedback! So in any case you think that the MEGA+ which comes with 150mm is overdimensioned? However, is unfortunately the only one that comes with the Thanos board. The normal MEGA one has the Arduino included instead.
There is a difference between the two also on the performance/feeling side (i.e. traction loss is better reproduced in Thanos then on Arduino) or just on the future expansion side?
While I cant comment on the Thanos vs Arduino comparison, the PT electronics are pre-defined at the factory and makes setup much easier. There is a lot of adjustability with these systems (understatement!) and it can be overwhelming if you don't want to spend much of your drive time, tweaking. TBH, I haven't really done anything with my Thanos other than update the firmware. It just works.

It's a shame it isn't easier to try-before-you-buy as any motion is a big financial commitment. I'd only personally tried 2 motion systems prior - but fortunately they represented two extremes - a dbox, and a dof reality H3. The doF was a lot of fun with dirt where you are really thrown around like a fairground ride, but was also noticeably 'loose'. The dbox movement was extremely modest by comparison - but clearly responsive and controlled even on my very brief trial .

The 'less is more' mantra applies more to the quality of the motion - i.e. quality over quantity, and having experienced the two, I knew which was going to provide me with more long-term satisfaction. Again, I only have limited experience of actuator systems, but the PT is proving very satisfying. Much of the difficulty is finding the sweet spot between normal movement and extreme movement during a crash (AKA Spike) . Personally I find pitch, particularly braking being the most immersive motion cue, and the one where I want to have the most motion - but as soon as you have that maxed out - god help you if you have a big off! I think this is one of the reasons the dbox is so revered, as even extreme movements are pretty tame! I'm sure there is still plenty of adjustment I could be doing to improve the experience, though for now I am happy (for the most part) just getting in and driving with motion set at 30-50% max.

IMO Traction loss is not particularly well simulated on a 3dof system, though I would suggest front mounted tactile transducers will provide faster cues for a significantly lower outlay. Combine this with FFB + VR and as far as I am concerned, there is plenty of immersion. If you think you need more than that, you need to get to a race track as I know you will be spending enough to buy a real race car :)

Upvote 0

The cost difference between 100mm and 150mm isn't a lot. With the Thanos you can always set it to 100mm even if you get the 150mm, and still have the additional range when you want / need it. I've been using 100mm for over a year now and while I think it might be "enough" for most sim racing situations, the additional pitch angle is essential for tracks with steep hill and big banks. Most people don't feel the difference is because they either have not driven on those real tracks, or not on a sim rig that has the extended range (and turned correctly), or both. I tuned the profiles to maximize the range only for pitch, but still keeping it narrow and tight for the rest. And now that SRS has motion compensation in VR, I'm actually switching to 150mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%