Time attack - huh? And car setup issues.

I'm always confused by those times in time attack mode and it makes me wonder.

Off course, these laps are done with 1L of fuel, optimal tyre temps/grip and cooling cheating. These times couldn't be possible to achieve in practice mode and qualification. Or sometimes could?

It's bad when you try to achieve the best possible time, but you actually don't know if SimBin didn't make some patch and changed some values. Then it would be impossible.

The same with online setups. I download a setup from a guy who posted it here on RD in 2008/2009 and it just doesn't work. It's slower (or I'm slower) about 2s and tyre temps (f.e. FL O-M-I 74-71-77) and pressures are just wrong and when I tweak it and force tyres to works better, suddenly, it works and I have better grip in corners. Some cars never work.

When I practice before online races, I always look for time attack times and take it as a reference. But I never know how close should I get because it's impossible in practice mode. This is something I hate on Race07 and online races on addon tracks. Give me an engineer please...

Is it OK when my RL tyre has temps 72-72-75 or similar in motec? When I lowered camber and got temps like 79-80-82, I was a bit slower and tyre wear was a bit higer.

Totally normal, with FWD i barely get over 70 at rear.. It's not always possible to stay within the optimal limits, for ex In Monza it's almost impossible to get rear tires heat up. In the front it's easier to maintian temps, just need a little driving style adjustments but rear is much harder and more of a setup issue.. Try putting more Toe in, it raises tire wear and the effect in temps is not great. The main thing is that the center temp should never be the highest value and inside should be higher than outside, if not, there's something wrong in the setup.

Also some cars classes just don't have enough weight to keep tires warm, like Radicals.. ;)

Interesting. After the last Mini race in Algarve, I'm starting to understand (I hope) what I need to make in car setup to make car more pleasant for me to drive. The setup what Bob posted there feel loose to me (I believe that is the expression for it) and it understeers. I have almost the same setup, but have much more front toe-out and less rear toe-in. Looks like I don't like to do a kung fu with car to force it to turn.

What I found out was that I had wrong tyre temps with his car setup. Even after 6 laps, motec showed middle temp lower than outside. That may be because my driving style too. Yet I was about 0,5s faster per lap with his car setup and had more consistent lap times, but didn't feel confident and quite easily lost my car in critical moments. So I used my setup instead. I'll try to post my setup the next race.

I have a tire pressure issue. Is it normal for tire not to raise its pressure but drop instead? The pressure should be lower in garage and not on the track. What's wrong? Some cars have this and also Radical that I'm driving at this moment. They set that pressure at 80° or what? Some cars have higher pressures after a while and still lower temps as in garage. Totaly confused.

My understanding

In most of the FWD the cornering speeds are dictated by the grip at the front. By increasing the negative camber at the back (to extremes) you are eventually reducing the contact patch with the circuit (thus grip at the back end, affecting braking potential and reducing rolling resistance.)

As a result you expect the tyres to wear less and run cooler.

If the car becomes too loose, you have gone too far.

Another point re tyre temp. Increasing the pressure will affect the balance of the car similarly to stiffening springs. Consider all changes made because optimal tyre temps have no benefit if your car is no longer balanced to suit your driving style.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back