thrustmaster tmx using logitech g27 pedals?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by captain_manering, Oct 5, 2017.

1. captain_manering

captain_manering
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi thinking about getting a tmx to replace my g27 but want to use 3 pedal set up is there an adapter to use my pedals? thanks in advance

2. Karvon26

Karvon26

Ratings:
    +35
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. captain_manering

captain_manering
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    yea nice one buddy i took delivery of the tx today and ordered the same adapter direct from thrustmaster hopefully be here in a few days as the stock pedals are shocking

4. Piotr Dul

Piotr Dul
    Sunday Driver Premium

Ratings:
    +70
    Yes, that Ricmotech adapter will work with your G27 pedals and you will get a bonus of higher pedals resolution. I've been using my old, trusty G27 pedals with T300 base with no problems. Much better then TM T3PA pedals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The Leo Bodnad version of the adapter would likely be cheaper for someone from the UK.

There's also an even cheaper option to use the G27 pedals with Thrustmaster wheels - a simple adapter to plug the pedals into Thrustmaster wheel base.

Thrustmaster sell the adapter themselves:

http://shop.thrustmaster.com/en_gb/db9-pedals-t-rj12-adapter.html

Although they don't list the TMX as a supported wheels, I think it should work anyway (but perhaps check with them just to be sure).

Or you can even build it yourself if you get the necessary connectors, there's no electronics involved, just wiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. natedogg1867

natedogg1867

Ratings:
    +326
    Not to bring this thread back from the after-life, but Im interested in hearing a bit more about this if you happen to know more.

Im on a G27 right now, but thinking about going to Thrustmaster. Mostly just looking to re-use my pedals if I do make the change.

Im aware of that db9 to rj12 adapter that TM sells, but it doesnt seem to be available in the US, and the one Ricmotech sells in the US is a bit spendy with shipping.

You mentioned building one yourself, and Amazon sells a ton of different db9 to rj12 adapters. Would you happen to know where I can find the pin layout to wire it up properly? Also, most of the adapters Amazon sells, have a female rj12 port. Do you think I could just run a standard rj12 cable from the adapter into the wheel base and would that work?

So far googling isnt turning up much info about doing this yourself :p

7. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,686
    @natedogg1867 It is an RJ12 with an offset key (to the left, looking at the top of the connector), which makes it kinda harder to get, most shops offer just the standard symmetrical RJ12 connector. I expect the adapters, even if the wiring would be compatible (which I kinda doubt to be honest), would also be for the standard RJ12.
    I actually made the adapter myself like a week or so ago, but since I couldn't find the offset RJ12 for a reasonable price, I ended up simply removing the original cable from the pedals that came with my T300 - I can always put it back if I need to. And then I simply soldered a DB9 female connector (easy enough to get) to it, wired accordingly. You can find the wiring on the internet, for example here:

http://www.retrovideogames.de/mods-adaptors/adaptorcables/logitech-thrustmaster-adaptor/

But to be perfectly honest, I'd recommend going the Leo Bodnar route, the adapter is great (one of its best features is that it stores the calibration of your pedals, so they're always calibrated the same as soon as you plug them in, which I find handy for my modded brake, as well as a short-calibrated clutch to move the biting point higher) - I only built the RJ12 adapter to be able to play the few titles that don't support multi-controller input, most notably (in my case) the Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo.

• Like Like x 2
  8. natedogg1867

natedogg1867

Ratings:
    +326
    Hey Martin, thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for all the info here.

Very useful, and it gives me a lot to think about. That Bodnar adapter sounds pretty fascinating and with the ease of use, that sounds like a very nice solution. I think you may have swayed me to go that direction rather than trying to make my own adapter and that would save me the trouble of trying to source the different parts for it and wire it up.

Appreciate the insight.

Cheers

• Beer Beer x 1
  9. captain_manering

captain_manering
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19