Thoughts on VR?

Upvote 0
time waits for no one.:D

Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. ....
Rbdh4A2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey this is a very good topic.

i am also considering getting a VR... but the costs are almost prohibitive in my country, it is going to be a big effort. So im still considering it, and have some concerns..

my biggest worry is about the minimum hardware to play in decent fps and visuals in assetto corsa, since i am not willing to buy another computer and there is no chance of upgrade because it is a gaming laptop, a i7 3630qm @2,4 - 3,4ghz, a gtx 660m 2gb and 8gb ddr3.

First thing is it even enough for VR in assetto?
If so,
I currently use a 1080p 32" screen in full hd resolution, 2x aa and anisotropic, hight details and low shadows, and low graphical settings in general but post processes turned on in lowest config (so i can at least see flames and brake lights),
I run almost all the time in 60 fps online, dropping below in race starts or when there are many cars in screen.

The lower difference i would set up the graphics should be a concern?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey this is a very good topic.

i am also considering getting a VR... but the costs are almost prohibitive in my country, it is going to be a big effort. So im still considering it, and have some concerns..

my biggest worry is about the minimum hardware to play in decent fps and visuals in assetto corsa, since i am not willing to buy another computer and there is no chance of upgrade because it is a gaming laptop, a i7 3630qm @2,4 - 3,4ghz, a gtx 660m 2gb and 8gb ddr3.

First thing is it even enough for VR in assetto?
If so,
I currently use a 1080p 32" screen in full hd resolution, 2x aa and anisotropic, hight details and low shadows, and low graphical settings in general but post processes turned on in lowest config (so i can at least see flames and brake lights),
I run almost all the time in 60 fps online, dropping below in race starts or when there are many cars in screen.

The lower difference i would set up the graphics should be a concern?
Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the price of a VR headset, unfortunately your laptop graphics aren't up to the spec required. The minimum graphics card spec is a GTX1050 or AMD 470. Although I wouldn't recommend anything less than a GTX1070 unless you want to see your last meal when the lights go green on a 24 car grid. frame drop on a 2D display is a pain, but in VR it can get pretty bad pretty fast. Even with a GTX1070 the graphics settings are so relatively low that you can't read the dials on the dashboard without staring directly at them. I ended up getting a 1080Ti to cure this, as in the long run it would be cheaper than anti nausea medication. VR is still new tech and comes at a price. Give it a few years and it will improve and hopefully get cheaper.

Upvote 0
Well I brought it guys, and I did not enjoy it one bit, the pixels are far too much, your head gets hot real fast and even if you use a fan the lenses fog up, which ends up destroying the 'immersion', I am returning it for a refund and spending the money on 2 extra monitors for a triple screen setup, and I will still have money left over lol, triple screens will be fine enough for the next 4 or 5 years until VR is up to standards.

Upvote 0
I use Nvidia 3d vision 2.
Went from 1 screen 2d to 1 screen 3d, then triples 2d, back to 1 screen 3d, then to OR CV1, then back to 1 screen 3d.
Found the res too crap in Vr even with super sampling etc. Love the clarity of 3d vision in comparison. 2d screen or screens are now history, just has no depth.

Upvote 0
I run both a 35" ultra wide and Vive. I flip between both depending on mood. With the monitor the visuals are sharper and I can have the settings on Ultra. With VR, sim racing is more realistic, the outside world is gone taking the sim one step beyond being a game. Prolonged VR can get tiring on the eyes, but the resolution isn't a deal breaker for me, the presence of being in the car makes up for this. I also have a seat mover, transducer and Bodnar wheel setup. When combined with VR and all the senses bombarded it enhances the whole illusion.

I play many other non-racing VR titles, the Vive has been a great investment beyond sim racing.

Upvote 0
I run both a 35" ultra wide and Vive. I flip between both depending on mood. With the monitor the visuals are sharper and I can have the settings on Ultra. With VR, sim racing is more realistic, the outside world is gone taking the sim one step beyond being a game. Prolonged VR can get tiring on the eyes, but the resolution isn't a deal breaker for me, the presence of being in the car makes up for this. I also have a seat mover, transducer and Bodnar wheel setup. When combined with VR and all the senses bombarded it enhances the whole illusion.

I play many other non-racing VR titles, the Vive has been a great investment beyond sim racing.
Really you find vr more tiring for your eyes. I found it to be the exact opposite. Most studies have shown looking at a monitor is hard on the eyes because you are focusing on the same depth spot for prolonged amounts of time and our eyes did not evolve to do that very well.

Upvote 0
Really you find vr more tiring for your eyes. I found it to be the exact opposite. Most studies have shown looking at a monitor is hard on the eyes because you are focusing on the same depth spot for prolonged amounts of time and our eyes did not evolve to do that very well.

I use monitors all day long and in comparison, yes the VR screen is more tiring on the eyes. A friend of mine also notices this. It doesn't surprise me, I'd expect it would be the case.

Upvote 0

What is a difference looking on monitor, tripple monitor or small "monitor" inside VR helmet?
From layman point of view I would say there is no difference. Only difference is how close/far are the monitors on which our eyes are focusing.

Upvote 0
What is a difference looking on monitor, tripple monitor or small "monitor" inside VR helmet?
From layman point of view I would say there is no difference. Only difference is how close/far are the monitors on which our eyes are focusing.
VR uses optics so the focal point is beyond the screen and because it is 3d and to scale your eyes can focus at different depths

Upvote 0
I don't your the eyes really focus at different depths in VR. In real life they do because the distances to the objects are different and eye optics have limited DOF, but in VR the objects to focus on are actually two fixed flat screens which just trick your mind into believing that you're seeing a real 3D stuff.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back