Thinking of getting this and ditching Nvidia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Steven Palmer, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

after numerous weeks of game freezes and driver downloads, I have come to the conclusion I might need to jump ship from Nvidia to ATI

The card I have in mind is the ASUS 1GB RADEON HD 4870 DARK KNIGHT PCI-E 2.0 (£145)

I currently have an XFX 8800GTX 786MB PCIe card.

Would this be a good alternative?

2. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,829
    I've been on the verge of doing this for about a month now, just trying to eliminate all other causes of the freezes first. If I jump ship, I'm considering a similar card.

3. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    Sickening isn't it Warren. You do all that practice just for it to freeze in race.

About the only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows, and I'm reluctant to do that because of all the hassle of backing up then reinstalling data/games etc.....

4. vmagics

vmagics

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this because of the occasional freezing issue in GTR Evo? If so, isn't it an issue with the latest game patch which happens irrespective of which gpu is used? Sorry I can't help you choose another graphics card but it'd be rather dissapointing to go through the expense and trauma of getting a new one only to find no improvement.

5. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    It happens in GTL, GTRe and occasionally rFactor. All my other games are fine

Warhammer Dawn of War 2
    Red Orchestra: Darkest Hour
    AA3
    Call of Duty 4

6. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Nope, fraid I can't blame GTRE and the latest patch, although I originally thought that. I've had the freezes with both GTRE and GTL. But I've been trying every piece of advice I can find in forums, advice from friends, even a few wild things I thought of myself, but still the random freezes were killing me. I'm currently trialling an alternate GPU from a friend.

7. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    What one Warren?

8. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    What impact on performance will the fact that my motherboard is PCIe 1.0 and the cards suggested are PCIe 2.0.

I know they will work and are backwards compatible, but will it slow them down much?

9. Adam Vaughan

Adam Vaughan

Ratings:
    +9
    Think ill be following you Ste. Everytime I start Evo i get a freeze up. And lately been getting alot of that driver has recovered crap.

10. Ben Tusting

Ben Tusting

Ratings:
    +133
  11. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah got the 4890 from Oc (the link you posted above)

12. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,179
    So now instead of a developer that should fix this simple bug we are all gonna switch to different cards, lol!

13. Amir Margalit

Amir Margalit

Ratings:
    +4
    as some of you know i had a problem of freezing .i thought it was a video card issue . ( i have nvdia too ). changed the card to another nvdia card and the problem continued. last week i sent my pc for a total check and found out that the freeze problem had nothing to do with the video card or drivers. it looks like my cpu was working 50% only due to a registery problem or a damaged cpu . after replacing the harddisc and the cpu and making a clean install of all the programs in the pc everything works ok including gtr evo too. i did a few races on line and offline in gtl and gtre and i'm happy to say that had no freezing since . :nailbiting:
    hope it helps anyone and ya i know very good what a terrible feeling it is to fight for the lead for 20 laps and then have a freeze on the last laps and finding my self 20 seconds behind .:sad:

14. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    Good job I'm loaded then :good:

I just wanna race without the game freezing up. I can't wait for eternity for the developers to fix it. I doubt they ever will TBH

15. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,829
    I won't get excited yet, I have been able to run for a week or two without freezes before, but:

I first swapped my GPU for an older NV7600GT out of my dead PC. Ran for a week without freezes, but it struggled like hell with FPS.
    Then a friend, Cam Wedgewood, gave me his older NV9600GT to try. I have run it for just over a week, and no freezes yet. I've tried it on-line and off-line heavily with GTRE and GTL, and it is performing well so far. I haven't changed anything else, except for reducing my moitor resolution a bit (did that for my old 7600GT and left it at that setting for Cam's card).

I have noticed that Cam's card is running noticeably cooler than my 9800GT too.

I'll update my results in a week or two, that will be a better test.

16. Damian Henderson

Damian Henderson

Ratings:
    +28
    Well I had the same freezing on a couple of ATi cards I've owned ( 3850 & X1950 Pro ) in Evo and rFactor sometimes, I still get it sometimes in Evo with this 9600gt but not for a while ( touches wood ) Got it more on my old 8800GTS though.

Also I have couple of friends who get the freezing on Ati cards also in ISI Engine based games.

So don't think it's going to be a magic fix switching companies.

17. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,179
    I am waiting for months already and i am tired of talking about it let alone experience those terrible freezes, sick of it

18. Steven Palmer

Steven Palmer

Ratings:
    +1
    It's worth a try. If it don't work I could always sell it on RD-bay :wink2:

19. Damian Henderson

Damian Henderson

Ratings:
    +28
    It's a strange one anyway, on my 7600GT on backup rig it's never had a freeze in Evo!

:s

Hope the freezing stops for all of you getting it! It's annoying.