The most honest sim?

Hi,
Just stared playing RR the last few months. And I must say I'm really impressed. I think the physics and FFB are some of the best. Pity about the static weather and un-laser scanned tracks, but after a bit I don't really mind. And the tracks seemed pretty accurate compared to other sims.

What I really like is that it seems the most honest sim around imo. There is hardly any destruction derby racing, the use aids or not in races is good and there appears to be less holes in the physics/setups that can be exploited.

What does anyone else think?

RRRE has a lot less damage on impacts and the touch and crash physics are lot more forgiving and often realistic than other sims and it leads to better races with more close racing. I don't know about the physics/setup there have definitely been such issues in the past and there are clearly setup advantages happening in most open setup races.

My main issue is the FFB is a bit spongy at the limit, its not clear where in that spongy feeling the peak of grip is and I really don't like the way the gear shifting works with a H pattern its unreliable.

Hi,
Just stared playing RR the last few months. And I must say I'm really impressed. I think the physics and FFB are some of the best. Pity about the static weather and un-laser scanned tracks, but after a bit I don't really mind. And the tracks seemed pretty accurate compared to other sims.

What I really like is that it seems the most honest sim around imo. There is hardly any destruction derby racing, the use aids or not in races is good and there appears to be less holes in the physics/setups that can be exploited.

What does anyone else think?
I get your thoughts and I think with the updates over the last 2 years with the physics overhaul and the new ffb, it improves substantially!

For me, it feels a bit simpler. Especially when the rear starts to slip, you can often catch the car as long as you weren't fully on the limit.

I agree about "less destruction derby". Probably because you have to pay for every single content and not grab the whole game in a sale, download some mods and join a server with keyboard controls.

It seems that raceroom doesn't enjoy the same "Internet fame" and the players are kinda more serious and grown up?

The contact physics make tight racing possible without instant spins everywhere.
And also: the game pad and even keyboard controls are really well done, same for the bird-cam perspective. It swings nicely.

So you can race cleanly with a game pad, which is a big plus for many!

About the setups though:
I had to laugh for a moment when you said less exploits would be possible...
There was a time, maybe still is, where maximum toe out gave you a lot more grip.
I tried this Volkswagen electric challenge at the Nordschleife back when the car was about to be released and I was multiple seconds of the pace, although I know this track by heart and felt good in the car.

I watched a few videos and then set the toe out to the maximum, front and back.
And I became 4s quicker! (8 minutes lap so 4s here is about 0.7-1.0s on normal tracks).
This makes absolutely no sense but it was a clear exploit...

But overall it seems to me that the general setting up is a bit easier. You don't have to nail everything and know exactly what to do to get the car up to a good pace. And I like that!

For me, raceroom is more niche than the others and the few players that it has do seem to behave better than the average random Internet driver, yep!

What I really like about this sim is that you have some cars and tracks that you won't find in good quality anywhere else!
Sure, it's more expensive, but especially as a German, it's pretty cool to take the different DTM cars around Norisring!

It's my go to sim when my father in law visits us and wants to do some laps. He doesn't car much for racing but he went to some DTM and gt3 events with his buddies to Oschersleben and Norisring!

The point on setups is interesting as I like the rookie races with fixed setups. then you know its on a even playing field in that area. I feel the FFB is really good, maybe depends on what wheel you have. I have a simucube 2 pro, which seems to work for me anyway. I absolutely agree about the H pattern modelling I often miss gears, you sort of have to wait to get it in gear.

I get your thoughts and I think with the updates over the last 2 years with the physics overhaul and the new ffb, it improves substantially!

For me, it feels a bit simpler. Especially when the rear starts to slip, you can often catch the car as long as you weren't fully on the limit.

I agree about "less destruction derby". Probably because you have to pay for every single content and not grab the whole game in a sale, download some mods and join a server with keyboard controls.

It seems that raceroom doesn't enjoy the same "Internet fame" and the players are kinda more serious and grown up?

The contact physics make tight racing possible without instant spins everywhere.
And also: the game pad and even keyboard controls are really well done, same for the bird-cam perspective. It swings nicely.

So you can race cleanly with a game pad, which is a big plus for many!

About the setups though:
I had to laugh for a moment when you said less exploits would be possible...
There was a time, maybe still is, where maximum toe out gave you a lot more grip.
I tried this Volkswagen electric challenge at the Nordschleife back when the car was about to be released and I was multiple seconds of the pace, although I know this track by heart and felt good in the car.

I watched a few videos and then set the toe out to the maximum, front and back.
And I became 4s quicker! (8 minutes lap so 4s here is about 0.7-1.0s on normal tracks).
This makes absolutely no sense but it was a clear exploit...

But overall it seems to me that the general setting up is a bit easier. You don't have to nail everything and know exactly what to do to get the car up to a good pace. And I like that!

For me, raceroom is more niche than the others and the few players that it has do seem to behave better than the average random Internet driver, yep!

What I really like about this sim is that you have some cars and tracks that you won't find in good quality anywhere else!
Sure, it's more expensive, but especially as a German, it's pretty cool to take the different DTM cars around Norisring!

It's my go to sim when my father in law visits us and wants to do some laps. He doesn't car much for racing but he went to some DTM and gt3 events with his buddies to Oschersleben and Norisring!
Hi,
Interesting points. Yes I would expect some exploits, I think all sims have them and as simracers its just something we just have to live with. I can imagine it must be very difficult for the devs to get every aspect of the physics right, I just hope they get round to correcting any errors when they get exposed. Something that other sims don't seem to bother with.

I think your right that it attracts the more serious and grown up players, which results in better and cleaner racing. Content, like you said, is good as well. Not just in dribs and drabs as in some other games.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back