The International Manufacturers Championship '67

Remarkable that no one has yet discovered the German WWII jet fighter still present close to the track 22 years after the war ended...

nurburg.jpg

67001a.jpg

Lately I've been working on the physics for the Ford Mk IV (based on P&G's 1966 Ford Mk II) and found some really valuable info in this great MotorSport magazine article about the car at the 1967 Le Mans 24h event, with the part about the rear spoiler being especially useful:

Dan Gurney: "I worked on the height of the rear spoiler, which was quite critical. You wanted just enough grip to make it flat through the kink on the straightaway without losing too much straightline speed."

67001b.jpg

Based on this info, I have totally reworked some of the [REARWING] values in the .hdc file and I'm very happy with how it turned out. With minimum rear spoiler height (position 1) it's possible to make the Mulsanne kink without lifting but you'll be much more likely to crash. At position 2 it's more likely that you'll make it but still a pretty high risk of crashing if you get the kink a little wrong, which means this setting should not be used for the race and only for qualifying if you feel safe enough with it. Position 3 is my recommended setting for the race as positions 4 and 5 scrubs off too much speed on the straights without the extra downforce in turns compensating for that.

Top speeds are as follows, timed just before the Mulsanne kink, using the default setup and half a tank of fuel:

Position 1: 346 km/h Position 2: 343 km/h Position 3: 339 km/h Position 4: 334 km/h Position 5: 329 km/h

Last but not least, I've made a great discovery on how to fix the difference in top speed between the player car and the AI cars despite using the exact same car and setup. This bug is more noticable for some cars than others, with the 2.0L prototypes like the Porsches and Matras being more than 10 km/h faster than the player just before the Mulsanne kink, while the bigger prototypes only differed 3-4 km/h compared to the player. I assume this is a bug present in the original GTR2 game as well although you might not have noticed it if the straight isn't long enough as the AI starts to pull away when getting closer to the top speed. So the fix is to set the BodyDragHeightAvg and BodyDragHeightDiff values under the [BODYAERO] heading to "0.00" as the AI cars aren't affected at all by these two values while the player car very much is.

Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this fix as I think it should be a big thing for anyone playing GTR2. Although ride height will not affect drag for the player car anymore, it's a small sacrifice compared to not having equal top speeds between player and AI cars when driving the same car model. I would imagine it can really ruin the gameplay in the original GTR2 game at for example Barcelona with its long main straight.

4:30 a.m. June 11, 1967

A really cool feature in GTR2 is that you can set the coordinates of the track location together with the date of the race in the track's .gdb file which will allow the sun to rise and set at an accurate direction and at an accurate time of the day for that specific date in history.

Also note how I'm able to take the kink flat out with ease as I'm here using the level 3 position for the rear spoiler in the race.

Last edited:
So the fix is to set the BodyDragHeightAvg and BodyDragHeightDiff values under the [BODYAERO] heading to "0.00" as the AI cars aren't affected at all by these two values while the player car very much is.

I would also recommend setting the BodyMaxHeight value to 0.00 as it's not acknowledged by the AI either and affects the player's top speed although not as much as the two prior mentioned values.

Been racing/testing/modifying the Targa Florio a lot the last few days...

targa1.jpg

targa2.jpg

targa3.jpg

Now all of the armcos have collision detection. Also reinstated that for the black and white stone posts. Not sure why this was removed in the steam compatible version as this is a lot of what the Targa is all about. I've also made the road signs and kilometer stones dead-on collison targets which was not even the case in the original version.

targa4.jpg

There were no less than eight Lancia Fulvia HFs entered for the 1967 Targa. Five came from private teams or privateers, and three from the Squadra Corse works team including the very interesting Speciale. Here are some cool pics of all eight of them...

The above mentioned Speciale was entered in the prototype class for the Sebring 12h and Targa Florio but I haven't been able to find any detailed specs for the car so I've based my specs on the real car's qualifying lap time at Sebring by test driving the standard Fulvia HF 1300 and then tweaking the specs until I got down to that lap time. On an interesting side note, the Targa Florio Speciale was driven by 1977 World Rally Champion Sandro Munari together with Ove Andersson - 1971 Rallye Monte Carlo winner and later team boss for the Toyota F1 team.

fulvia_speciale_1.jpg

fulvia_speciale_2.jpg

I must say I prefer the looks of the standard grille and headlight configuration over the Speciale's but naturally weight and efficiency were important to take advantage of in the prototype class.

fulvia_standard.jpg

Below are the specs I'm using for the three different variants that raced in the 1967 championship:

----------------------------- Lancia Fulvia HF 1.2 1967 Targa Florio Car class: GT1.3 Car numbers: 8, 10 Engine: Lancia V4/12° DOHC Displacement: 1200 cc Power: 97 hp at 6200 rpm Top speed: 168 km/h Gearbox: 4-speed Weight: 830 kg Fuel tank: 38 l ----------------------------- Lancia Fulvia HF 1.3 1967 Targa Florio Car class: GT1.3 Car numbers: 2, 4, 12, 14, 16 Engine: Lancia V4/12° DOHC Displacement: 1300 cc Power: 108 hp at 6000 rpm Top speed: 174 km/h Gearbox: 4-speed Weight: 845 kg Fuel tank: 38 l ----------------------------- Lancia Fulvia HF Speciale 1967 Sebring 12h Car class: P2.0 Car number: 56 1967 Targa Florio Car class: P2.0 Car number: 178 Engine: Lancia V4/12° DOHC Displacement: 1300 cc Power: 120 hp at 6500 rpm Top speed: 183 km/h Gearbox: 4-speed Weight: 825 kg Fuel tank: 38 l -----------------------------

67016TF.jpg

Last edited:
I found two italian webs with some information about the Lancia Fulvia HF Speciale. Based on the information contained in them, the 1.3l engine was slightly enlarged, and according to the second web, it produced 122 hp (very similar to your specs).

Cool, I hadn't seen those websites before but I couldn't see any specific specs for the Speciale though. I believe the engines of the endurance race cars usually were downtuned for reliability reasons compared to the rally cars (I have 108 hp for the 1300 HF engine compared to the 122 hp for the rally car). However, I will increase the max power rpm a bit after seeing that a fully optimized 1200 HF engine reached max power at 7000 rpm and the 1300 HF engine at 7200 rpm.

Screw my estimated endurance reliability figures as I've now updated the three Lancia engines to the known rally specs instead. I've also thrown in the larger 1.4L (128 hp) engine in the Speciale since the bigger capacity wouldn't have been a problem in the P2.0 car class. (The standard HF Fulvias were all entered in the GT1.3 class).

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Forum trophies