GT5 The Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
rdgt5hl.jpg

The Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge

Welcome to the RaceDepartment Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge. All you need to take part is a Playstation 3, a copy of Gran Turismo 5 and the desire to test your skills each week against your fellow RaceDepartment members.​

The format is simple, each week a car and track will be chosen to run hot laps. Starting Saturday 12pm GMT and finishing the following Saturday 12pm GMT you will be invited to submit your lap times for that challenge. Once the challenge deadline is met the the next track and car is chosen, this choice will alternate each week between the fastest driver and slowest driver, if no choice is made before 12PM GMT on Sunday the challenge organiser will make the choice.

To take part start up GT5 and select 'Arcade Mode' and then select 'Time Trial'. You will then select the track chosen for that weeks challenge and then the car. The car and track selection for each week will be listed below. Once you have done that you will be prompted to set the driving options. We will used a fixed format for each week which will be:​

Transmission - Manual
Front Tyres - Racing: Soft (Unless otherwise specified)
Rear Tyres - Racing: Soft (Unless otherwise specified)
Driving Line - OFF
Traction Control - OFF
Skid Recovery Force - OFF
Active Steering - OFF
Active Stability Management (ASM) - OFF
ABS - 1
Grip Reduction On Wet Track/Track Edge - REAL​

Once you've selected that you can then start hot lapping. There are no tuning options so everyone runs the same setup.​

GT5 will invalidate laps where the track is cut to gain an advantage, times shown in red in GT5 are invalid and will not count in this competition. To make it fair and competitive please don't cut the track or abuse the run off area's to gain an advantage, at least half the car should be on the track at all times and on street tracks don't use the barriers to give you an unfair advantage, the idea of the hot lap challenges is to run clean laps in the fastest time possible.​

Good luck and above all have fun!​

There are quite a few places on this track where you can cut through the grass.
I am just wondering because in the first post Kevin wrote that at least half the car
should be on the track at all times.
I cant see how it is possible to manage a 1.45 without more cutting...
It would be really great if someone could post a video...so we sunday drivers perhaps
could learn something :rolleyes:

OK some clarification, if you have all four wheels on the scrub (i.e the darker terrain) then you're cutting. The same rules still apply as the 'track' i.e the lighter shaded road section is the track so keep half the car on it please.

Seeing as these 'Hotlap Challenges' are all about a bit of fun and we ain't competing for the crown jewels or paying some humongous entry fee to race, maybe its best that everyone races and if the game declares it a valid lap, then a valid lap it is, whether they have cut a little here and there. If the game deems it OK, then so be it.

It would be easy for someone to post a blistering fast lap and then say they didn't cut (even if they did). Unless we ask for a video clip of the entire lap to judge them, we can only take them at their word.

I appreciate RD will have a racing/sporting code to adhere to, and I'm sure all racers do try to do so, but where hotlaps are not being validated by a moderator, we can only go on the actual racers word that they have driven a valid lap.

The rules are quite simple, drifting or not you will know if more than 50% of your car has strayed off the track - in this case the clearly lighter shaded part of the surface as I clarified above. If you are unsure then have a look at a replay to see if you had strayed more than 50%. There is no grand prize, this is a friendly competition for the enjoyment of RD members but if we cannot trust our fellow RD members to submit fairly made lap times then this competition ceases to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes