AC Modding Questions Thread

I searched and I didn't find my question, so it's probably too dumb even for a thread called "The dumb questions thread": Is it possible to convert a track from NFS High Stakes? If not, What would be the best way to recreate it from scratch?

Howdy folks, would anyone have some pointers to photo matching? I've just about had it with inconsistent and inaccurate blueprints, but I just can't get it right manually :rolleyes:

photo matching.png

--EDIT--
Nevermind. I forgot to put an alpha layer on the paint.dds. All fixed now :) Hope this helps the next person in the same boat.
----------

My turn for a dumb question I can't seem to find an answer to but I'm sure is out there.
I can't change car colour with skins once the car has been exported and is in Assetto.
In 3ds I had a flat white texture named paint.dds.
In ksEditor I had the same texture. Multimapped with a flat normal, a maps file and metal detail.
Copied over the paint.dds file for each skin and changed the colour, thinking it just grabs the file with the same name as the texture used in ksEditor, but it just stays white.
Body has been UVW Unwrapped which I figured was needed for it to be "painted" later.
Each skins folder has livery.png and paint.dds (tried.png too) and metal_detail.dds of the colour for the skin and a placeholder preview at the moment.

Last edited:
Is it possible to make an object on a track appear and disappear based on time of day and weather? If yes what would I add in my ext_config.ini to hide a "cube" at certain hours of the day say during 6pm and 6am? Is it possible to hide/show objects based on weather? Like have an object be visible only in rain?

Is it possible to make an object on a track appear and disappear based on time of day and weather? If yes what would I add in my ext_config.ini to hide a "cube" at certain hours of the day say during 6pm and 6am? Is it possible to hide/show objects based on weather? Like have an object be visible only in rain?
Unfortunately, using the “condition” line will only allow for material changes, not hide or replace arguments.

Are you guys using any pure black and pure white on your textures ?
I know i always avoid them for render engines, always wondered about AC engine
in doubt i'm always putting black at 10,10,10 and white 230,230,230 (or about)
and try to always dessature colors by 10% etc.

Last edited:
For Diffuse textures? I think I use a maximum of 85% (HSL) for white and 15% (HSL) for black.

If I'm pulling in real-world photos for textures, they get desaturated by quite a lot - usually 30-40%

I'll go down to near total black (around 16,16,16, forget the brightness value) sometimes, but I still use total white on liveries. I found the 85% just looks far too dull on liveries; especially with an AO pass on it.

I wonder how much the tires in ac lose grip when they are fully dirty? I'm trying to figure out what would be a correct grip value for wet track and because of the spray effect the tires are pretty much 100% dirty all the time.

I'll go down to near total black (around 16,16,16, forget the brightness value) sometimes, but I still use total white on liveries. I found the 85% just looks far too dull on liveries; especially with an AO pass on it.

Sorry, my comment was referring to textures on tracks, not liveries.

Anyone managed to import the driver model in Blender and then export it into the game. I remember Stereo mentioning some weird bone rotation going on when he created his driver rig and I think I'm hitting the same problem. Tried different versions of Blender including the latest beta but no joy so far.

This is about as good as I can get - the arms and legs seem rotated and/or twisted. Not sure if it's a Blender bug, bad export settings, bad bone roll on the armature (changing the roll seems to make no difference), etc. The animation seems to work as it should, so maybe the mesh is somehow losing it's relation to the bones on the arms and legs?:

EKrVPZ5.jpg

Anyone managed to import the driver model in Blender and then export it into the game. I remember Stereo mentioning some weird bone rotation going on when he created his driver rig and I think I'm hitting the same problem. Tried different versions of Blender including the latest beta but no joy so far.

This is about as good as I can get - the arms and legs seem rotated and/or twisted. Not sure if it's a Blender bug, bad export settings, bad bone roll on the armature (changing the roll seems to make no difference), etc. The animation seems to work as it should, so maybe the mesh is somehow losing it's relation to the bones on the arms and legs?:

EKrVPZ5.jpg
I've been told to just forget Blender for driver anims. Ask someone with Max to do it.

I've been told to just forget Blender for driver anims. Ask someone with Max to do it.

EKrVPZ5.jpg

i might be the guy, i love max
upload_2019-10-16_14-35-21.png

Didn't explain what I'm trying to do very well there, I'm trying to edit the driver model so I can change the helmet and goggles to a vintage set and possibly the body too, I use Stereo's rig for the animations. Been trying Autodesk's FBX converter to see if that would work - just ended up with some new and interesting distortions to the driver :O_o:

Yes, Blender is ****ing ****ed mate, big time. The rig has limitations.

Probably you'll need to model the new geometry and export the driver in a T-pose, then rig it in Max.

Blender 2.7x worked fine with Stereos Blender rig and his ksanim exporter. 2.8 seems to not work at all right now. @Stereo was thinking about updating his rig and exporter for 2.8 as the old one does not work anymore, something about the way plugins are handled is different.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%