AC Modding Questions Thread

Hi, I've got a mod that comes with PNG files instead of DDS.
How do I paint it in red only, for example? are there any tutorials for that?
thanks
RWoJRC4.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10giEhlcrdefpPmUsgE07zuZI32Ok1lCI/view?usp=sharing
There are two basic ways.
1: if the car uses a metal_detail texture, paint that red.
2: import the texture you showed into Photoshop or similar, make a red layer underneath the grey one and set the blend properties of the grey one to Multiply.
Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
How do you change the textures on the tyres? I want to get it so that the McLaren F1 GTR has period correct Michelin logos rather than the newer ones currently shown.
You can do this by placing the edited tyre texture in the skins folder (you will need to have one copy of the texture for each skin), so long as the file names are the same the texture within the .kn5 file will be replaced by whatever textures are in the respective skin folders

You can do this by placing the edited tyre texture in the skins folder (you will need to have one copy of the texture for each skin), so long as the file names are the same the texture within the .kn5 file will be replaced by whatever textures are in the respective skin folders

I know all of that, I'm more wondering about how to make the texture itself. My best attempt so far came out like this:

2WL4eOR.jpg

How would one go about extracting the tyre textures, that's the sort of thing I'd like to know, or if there's any other resources available.

I managed to improve them to get them like this:

nfo8QWD.jpg

But the black parts are completely matte, and the lettering is coming out at a lower resolution in game than I'm saving it as, and also seems to be defaulting to putting the lettering in a certain position no matter where I move it about in the DDS file.

Anyone know the right way to create a shift animation in Blender?

I can get one into AC, thanks to Stereo's rig, but instead of the hand hovering over the gear stick until I change gear it just plays the full gear change animation as soon as the revs get high enough, so I'm close but still doing something wrong. Shift.ksanims from other cars work fine so it's not a cfg problem, I'm just not getting how to make the hand pause over the stick until I change gear.

Anyone know the right way to create a shift animation in Blender?

I can get one into AC, thanks to Stereo's rig, but instead of the hand hovering over the gear stick until I change gear it just plays the full gear change animation as soon as the revs get high enough, so I'm close but still doing something wrong. Shift.ksanims from other cars work fine so it's not a cfg problem, I'm just not getting how to make the hand pause over the stick until I change gear.
did you make the full motion? Shift animation needs to be ping-pong, just the hand reaching the stick. I can PM you the blender file I made for the shift animation of my Audi when i get home

did you make the full motion? Shift animation needs to be ping-pong, just the hand reaching the stick. I can PM you the blender file I made for the shift animation of my Audi when i get home

Yes please, be really helpful to see how it's done. It's just the bit where the hand leaves the wheel and pauses over the gear-stick that I can't get working, it's going straight to the gear change instead, but I only half know what I'm doing with animation so I could've gone wrong anywhere.

It plays half the animation on "pre grab" and then the rest when you actually shift so they have to be split up reasonably.

Ah right, I was trying to follow the example in the car pipeline: start with the hand in the hover position, then on the gear stick at frame 10, then changing gear at frame 20 but maybe I'm taking that too literally? I'll experiment some more and see what happens.

That should work right, as long as you're exporting a 20 frame animation (I think blender's default is 50 or 100).

Definitely seems to be something along these lines, it's stopping the hand at the end of the animation and only returning to the wheel when I actually change gear. I'm setting the start and end frames at the bottom of the timeline and they change in the render settings too, is there another setting somewhere for how many frames are actually exported?

Might be the other way round then and require a 100 frame animation, I haven't really fiddled with exactly how the standard exporter works. (I think it writes 100 frames in every ksanim, hence the filesizes being larger than ones my script does)

I've found a kludge for now, if I use the 'reverse animation' option in your driver rig exporter the animation ends where it should start and I get the 'hovering hand' effect and the gear change animation then plays when I actually change gear. Weird but it works. Thanks for your help though, and thanks for that great driver rig.

Just realised that I was being a complete twit with this, it was working all along, I just didn't realise that was how it was supposed to work. I misunderstood the way the ping-pong animation plays, which is even more stupid because I was only reading about it yesterday.

I'll spend the rest of the evening giving myself a slap, maybe some sense will get in. :confused:

Just realised that I was being a complete twit with this, it was working all along, I just didn't realise that was how it was supposed to work. I misunderstood the way the ping-pong animation plays, which is even more stupid because I was only reading about it yesterday.

I'll spend the rest of the evening giving myself a slap, maybe some sense will get in. :confused:
That file I sent you was the result of hours of cursing, we're all learners here :geek:

Is it possible to alter the shader settings of the usual carpaint shader to enable chrome effects on skins? @Ben O'Bro has some chrome on his Caterhams, but copying those exact shader values (along with the diffuse colours and map colours) didn't give me the same result.

I'm tweaking the shader values via Content Manager, if that makes any difference.

Hello,
Where can I find files likes these one to create my skin :
"Carpet"
"int_belt"
"alcnt"
"PlasticDetail"
"metail_detail"
I downloaded a skin with all these details .DDS but I want these same files for another car, where can I find those on the common folder ? Thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back