The current sound is the best the f1 has ever had. change my mind

sound aside... we must admit that the current f1s are much safer (but also large, expensive, complex, and difficult to follow each other....but safer)

Now... speaking of sound, the sound similar to a "grunt" / "roar" at low speeds is beautiful. It can be seen very well in this video of AUSTRALIA 2023, it is especially noticeable if you put your ear very close to the car exhaust (because you can't hear it on TV).

Last edited:
to compare... 2023 years ago (year 2000) back in the same place (ALBERT PARK)... I'm going to hear for the first time what they sounded like... maybe the sound was something that...

FORGET WHAT I SAID, AND BOW IN REVERENCE BEFORE THE V10 ENGINE!!!!:confused::confused:

Last edited:
well, jokes aside, I wanted to share some videos that I consider "almost lost", they are on YouTube... but they are so difficult to find and so "rare" that I decided to make them known to the f1 community They are videos from the year 2000 (epic championship where Michael and Mika fought hard until the end)... especially these with the theme "NATURAL SOUND" recorded by an amateur (I know that there are many videos about natural sound taken from TV stations and FOM without comments... but these that I am sharing are "from the stands by an amateur" so they are more "wild" and "raw")

plus one with natural audio in eau rounge (pay close attention to the two williams passing side by side VERY close together at full speed... it's pure gold) (min 0:39)

This channel (G'old F1) has VERY rare videos to find (from the stands in MALAYSIA in the years 99, 2000, 2001)... it is pure gold and difficult to find (even the mythical, powerful and unattainable minardi sounds brilliant)

and for dessert a "what if" that would be great if it existed in reality. (modern f1 with v10 engine)

I prefer hearing an engine wind up through the power band; modern engines rev to 18k rpm but all the useful range is around 14k-17k, so acceleration is a quick brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr up through the gears, then, since F1 cannot handle long straights, it's immediately a quick braking and downshift dr-dr-dr-dr for the next turn

compare

but of course to my ears there's nothing like

Last edited:
I prefer hearing an engine wind up through the power band; modern engines rev to 18k rpm but all the useful range is around 14k-17k, so acceleration is a quick brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr up through the gears, then, since F1 cannot handle long straights, it's immediately a quick braking and downshift dr-dr-dr-dr for the next turn

compare

but of course to my ears there's nothing like
Thank you for sharing those videos, the feeling of speed on a road as narrow and bumpy as Long Beach is spectacular.... simply incredible. (also the gt40)

You are right that when they have MORE gears, you notice that the engine has sound "cuts" while changing gears. (at least in the video I posted above of spa 2000 in eau rouge...they are almost at full speed)

each person has their own tastes...but I almost admit by many that the V10 and the F1 are a perfect marriage...other sounds (perhaps blown diffuser v8s, the current v6s (not the 2014 ones), and other old engines (12 flats, or turbos from the 80's)) are nice and make good sounds for racing cars...but they don't fit like a glove in an F1. (as if a v10 does it)

Yes... of old engines, the one I like the most is the "Flat 12" from the Ferrari of 1967 and 1970/71... here you hear them in all their glory (min 0:46)

sound aside... we must admit that the current f1s are much safer (but also large, expensive, complex, and difficult to follow each other....but safer)

Now... speaking of sound, the sound similar to a "grunt" / "roar" at low speeds is beautiful. It can be seen very well in this video of AUSTRALIA 2023, it is especially noticeable if you put your ear very close to the car exhaust (because you can't hear it on TV).
yeh nah, not quite - they sound pretty good but far far far away from the best sounds...

This!

Here is my vote, might not be the best recording - but just listen to the first corner shows such a range of sound and transition through to a scream... and the spinetingling downshifts, and other slow speed corners really show a much wider range of rev sound than modern V10, v8 or V6 turbo in my opinion.

The sound took some getting used to. And i think it has been altered a little since the V6 Turbo came in. It is however better than Formula E. When i hear those eclectric motors buz it sounds like my old TAMIA RC car. And i think i am watching a RC race. With a person at the side with a hand held controller. But the F1 sounds odd inside the cockpit and sounds better externaly as a car aproaches and mouves past your point the sound fades in and out. Unlike onboard when you follow a car. But this is 2023 and engines have to get smaller and more economic for the technology to go into road cars.

The sound took some getting used to. And i think it has been altered a little since the V6 Turbo came in. It is however better than Formula E. When i hear those eclectric motors buz it sounds like my old TAMIA RC car. And i think i am watching a RC race. With a person at the side with a hand held controller. But the F1 sounds odd inside the cockpit and sounds better externaly as a car aproaches and mouves past your point the sound fades in and out. Unlike onboard when you follow a car. But this is 2023 and engines have to get smaller and more economic for the technology to go into road cars.
"...And i think i am watching a RC race...." JAJAJA hahaha :D:D:D:D
You just made me laugh SO hard. You just described life itself.

Last edited:
Nothing sounds like a naturally aspirated V10.
There is just something magical about the firing sequence and the resultant engine exhaust frequency.
It cannot be replicated by the V6, V8 or V12.
It is evident in cars like the Porsche Carerraa GT, the Lexus LFA.
Inline 5 cylinder engines sound incredible at peak revs as well.

Last edited:
The V10's for the spectator/TV were/are fantastic, but according to some drivers they were less great for them, I think it was Brundle that said they create a harmonic resonance that vibrates through your body and it can make you feel physically sick, with that in mind we have a trade off, fantastic sound but not so good for the body, the DFV was pretty good for some 650BHP at the end of it's life in 3.5-4 liter guises, I suppose with improved tech and materials a recreated version could have a happy 8-900 and I'm sure that the rpm would creep up to a similar 18k

(All figures are from the top of the head and 'probably'...so there is no science in what I assume* feel free to denigrate/berate me for being wrong.)

However, if F1 were to drop the charade of 'doing it for the future' and become the sport it once was the 3 liter V8-V12 formula would sound better that the heavyweight junk now being ported around the planet

* some of the Cobras running at Goodwood Revival now produce a healthy 430-450hp and are accepted by the Historics racing fraternity as OK, the Cobras of 64 had at most 350hp... such is progress.

some of the Cobras running at Goodwood Revival now produce a healthy 430-450hp and are accepted by the Historics racing fraternity as OK, the Cobras of 64 had at most 350hp

Depends on the car and the state of tune. The 289 typically had 350-380hp, the 427 usually 450-500hp. Ford notoriously sandbagged their ratings, drivers of the era routinely stated the cars had around 20% more power than claimed. The 427FE in the Ford GT MkII was listed with 525hp, but drivers (and magazine road tests later) stated it was 575-600hp.

(The SOHC 427 was expected, by NASCAR mechanics, to be good for 1000hp, reliable enough to run a 500 mile race; NASCAR banned it. Ford then planned to put an 800hp version in the GT MkIV for Lemans .... the FIA banned it. There are several Cobra replicas today with this engine, mostly in the 680-800hp range; and at least three Ford GT replicas using it.)

Depends on the car and the state of tune. The 289 typically had 350-380hp, the 427 usually 450-500hp. Ford notoriously sandbagged their ratings, drivers of the era routinely stated the cars had around 20% more power than claimed. The 427FE in the Ford GT MkII was listed with 525hp, but drivers (and magazine road tests later) stated it was 575-600hp.

(The SOHC 427 was expected, by NASCAR mechanics, to be good for 1000hp, reliable enough to run a 500 mile race; NASCAR banned it. Ford then planned to put an 800hp version in the GT MkIV for Lemans .... the FIA banned it. There are several Cobra replicas today with this engine, mostly in the 680-800hp range; and at least three Ford GT replicas using it.)
I'm not talking about the big block 427 Cobra, the 450 hp I refer to is for an FIA Historic accepted 289 rebuilt and running in the Goodwood Revival (RAC TT) meetings, and I believe in the 64 Masters GT's too,
There's 'video' dyno verification showing if I remember rightly 452HP.

On a separate note Bill Shepherd has recently run a 427 Cobra roadster in the sports racing field at Goodwood 'Whitsun trophy' (60-66) against Group4 cars like the Lola T70 spider, McLaren M1a, M1b, and GT40's, with a reasonable top 10 finish.

A period 289 pushing 450hp is not long for this world; that would even stress its modern incarnation, the Ford 5.0L. Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't enter an endurance race with one.

"...the next update to the Ford 5.0 Coyote engine will be in the 2024 S650 Mustang. Fourth gen Coyote engines are confirmed to make 480 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque standard in the Mustang GT. However, you can also upgrade the Mustang GT with an active-valve performance exhaust system to achieve 486 hp and 418 lb-ft of torque. The all-new Dark Horse variant will make 500 hp with a 7,500 RPM redline as standard." But this is an all new. high-tech, design bearing little relation to its ancestor 289/5.0L.

"Quite a few 289 owners claim that the factory engine is able to withstand horsepower figures close to the mid-500s. While it is possible to attain those numbers without doing internal work, there’s no guarantee that the block will hold up over time."

The Shelby "Hi-Po" 289 of 1968 was rated 390 hp with 329 lb-ft torque.

Formula e is a concept that will replace F1. People don't believe it will happen but i think it will. The cars will spin around road courses in a gentle buzz sound like a Radio Car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back